Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Karakuri Douji ULTIMO by Stan Lee x Takei Hiroyuki

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kirimi's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Karakuri Douji ULTIMO by Stan Lee x Takei Hiroyuki

NEWS! Serialisation will begin in Jump SQ on 4 Feb!!

Karakuri Douji ULTIMO is the first collaboration of its kind between American comics giant, Stan Lee (creator of Spider-man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and more) and long-time Jump mangaka, Takei Hiroyuki (Shaman King, Butsu Zone). The series will combine the American style of story-telling with the Japanese style of manga we're all familiar with. It makes its debut with a 32-page prologue chapter in the inaugural issue of Jump SQ II (released 2008/04/18). Following that, ULTIMO will be serialised in Jump SQ in the future.

About the story: ~thanks to njt~
    Two beings, one of pure good and one of pure evil, infused with all the knowledge and abilities of their creator, were set to awaken when the world was about to enter its final war. Shortly after his masterpieces were completed, the creator committed suicide, satisfied with the potential mayhem his creations will cause. Now, 1000 years later, a peaceful city is terrorized by a monster attack. The monster was created by the "pure evil" being named Vice, as a means to draw out his "pure good" counterpart, Ultimo. When the monster starts wrecking the city and attacking innocent bystanders, Ultimo appears to take out the monster. Finally, the two meet and their grand battle begins. Who will win? Who will lose? What do the police think about these new creatures destroying their city?! Discuss about it here!

Preview pictures of chapter 1:

Where to find
    Follow this link to find raws, translations and scanlations for Ultimo as they're released!
    Last edited by kirimi; December 27, 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [SQ] Karakuri Douji ULTIMO by Stan Lee x Takei Hiroyuki

that old guy looks like stan lee.. O_o

I can't wait.. >_<
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

More details on the series, announced at the VIZ press event at New York Comic Con (18 Apr) here.

Summary of news:
    - Stan Lee did not choose Takei-sensei. The Shueisha side of the collaboration chose him, but Stan Lee was happy with the choice.
    - The nature of the collaboration is really very close. Stan Lee and Takei-sensei are working together back and forth on the project.
    - The original premise/ideas were Stan Lee's. Takei-sensei deveoped the story from that. Now they are creating it together.
    - It WILL be serialised in the US Shonen Jump and they will cut the lag time down as much as possible (although no definite time is given yet).

Also, a podcast interview with Stan Lee about Ultimo from a few days ago. He talks a bit about working on Ultimo behind the scenes with Takei-sensei, and its creation. Very cool. Most important quote of the entire interview, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Lee
    (from -14:33) "I have written the complete outline of the story on which Takei-sensei is basing his artwork. The scripted dialogue will be written in Japanese for the Japanese market, and later, I'll re-write it for the American market. So, you see, it really is a true collaboration in the strictest sense of the word."
    Last edited by kirimi; April 18, 2008 at 08:46 PM.

RAW Providers 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Asakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Raw will be up minutes from now. Sorry about the delay.
    Founder and owner of Ossu! joint projects. Join the magic!
    Raw coordinator for Maximum7 and Plumcity

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shrimpy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Karakuri Douji ULTIMO by Stan Lee x Takei Hiroyuki

i hope the stan lee committing seppuku isn't symbolic of him stepping off the story at any time in the future, lol.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Midina^_^'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! It's so awsome that finally american comics and Japanese comics are actually crossing togeather.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this could either be pure win, or mediocre. I want this to be pure win, as when things make me as giddy as a school girl; like this did; and don't live up to the giddiness it makes me sad in more ways then one.
    Greetings and Salutations

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member hayateblitz's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm. Somehow, it feels like a kiddie story. evil person does this, good person has a counter, evil person frustrated and counters, good person goes oh noes! and counters back.

I don't understand why they had to tell the story from a god's eye view. It doesn't really draw the audience into the story. Maybe cuz they were setting up the story for future chapters? But hopefully the next chapter isn't written in this format... I had high expectations for this series T.T

(my prediction! ultimo's going to suffer from a memory lost and live with that old guy for awhile. One hand Vice will search for his second arm while power hungry soldier wrecks havoc using Vice's glove and become a dictator or some sort. We'll learn more about the two robots from the monks and presumably rich villain)

Overall, I'll give it a 3/10. Don't really like the story line + the art is not really to my taste. I reckon they could have done better.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hayateblitz View Post
    Hm. Somehow, it feels like a kiddie story. evil person does this, good person has a counter, evil person frustrated and counters, good person goes oh noes! and counters back.

I don't understand why they had to tell the story from a god's eye view. It doesn't really draw the audience into the story. Maybe cuz they were setting up the story for future chapters? But hopefully the next chapter isn't written in this format... I had high expectations for this series T.T

(my prediction! ultimo's going to suffer from a memory lost and live with that old guy for awhile. One hand Vice will search for his second arm while power hungry soldier wrecks havoc using Vice's glove and become a dictator or some sort. We'll learn more about the two robots from the monks and presumably rich villain)

Overall, I'll give it a 3/10. Don't really like the story line + the art is not really to my taste. I reckon they could have done better.
    Takeis art is indeed abit excpetional, it isn't mainstream. And I agree: you love it or you don't love it.

The circle you say: attack, defence, frustration, stronger attack, etc is something I don't agree with you. I didn't have that feeling at all. This was just a prologue to a story about two extreme opposed creations who are doomed to fight each other. One for destroying the world, the other for protecting it

If I didn't like something: it's the typical american hero comic writing of destroying/dominating the world vs the saving world apsect
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the art in Shaman King but this doesn't look too similar. The concept seems a little mediocre... It still interests me a lot though.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Viewtiful's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

"Karakuri Douji" has any special meaning?

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viewtiful View Post
    "Karakuri Douji" has any special meaning?
    機巧 (karakuri) means mechanical, and more than just gears and wheels. 童子 (douji) means child/boy.

Most press releases and interviews in English have referred to Ultimo as an android anyway.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Viewtiful's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kirimi View Post
    機巧 (karakuri) means mechanical, and more than just gears and wheels. 童子 (douji) means child/boy.

Most press releases and interviews in English have referred to Ultimo as an android anyway.
    So, "Karakuri Douji Ultimo", then, could be something like "Mecanical Child Ultimo"?
    Hmmm... Thanks for your info! ^^
    Quer ler mangás em português com uma qualidade de primeira?

Anima Regia Scantrad (click me, baby, yes!)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member 花男★'s Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

This 0 Chap was a let down in my opinion, lets see what happens next

Follow the dead moon's call!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

ultimo and vice character design looks pretty good actually I like it, and art is okay

I'll stick with it

btw, never read marvel comics in 4 years
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast