Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oda Eiichiro (teen)

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda Eiichiro (teen)

I have the book this came from, and you can see that the books on the right hand corner are things related to pirates or marine life.

A lot of mangakas seem to place their tankobons at close proximity for easy reference.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some sketches by Oda of the drawings for Dupont kit. Thanks to Redon from Pirateking for the images:

---------- Post added December 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was December 09, 2012 at 06:44 AM ----------

Oda drew a little story about the mermaid of Dupont's kit. Thanks to Redon from AP for the image:

I wonder how will end the story...

---------- Post added December 14, 2012 at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was December 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM ----------

This should be the end of the story, the drawing in the cover: the crown sumerges and will end in a treasure that belongs to the mermaid:

What a really nice theme. I like the yawn and the suggested idea that the sleeping mermaid attracks the riches with it
    Such a theme for wealthy people.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

First thougt: it would be a nice christmas gift
    Second thought: 18000$ ... Going back to sleep

6. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Aohige from AP translated some interesting texts of the One Piece newspapers published in Nov and Dec of this year:

Quote Quote:
    BTW, I heard there was an article in one of these One Piece Newspaper that Oda stated One Piece is roughly 60% through.
    I'm trying to find the source of that info.

EDIT: Ah, apparently it's this week's one. the one redon posted last page.
    http://imgbox.com/abwMCpkx
    Quote Quote:
    It's not an exact science by any means, and he actually said at least 60% through.

Reading the two editors (Takeru Isaka and Hattori Jean-Baptiste - Akira) interview couple of interesting notes

- Both editors testify they get scolded by Oda sometimes.
    - Apparently when an editor is assigned to Oda, one of the first thing they experience is Oda telling them all the major secrets of One Piece, up to and incluing the end. (!!!)

....... QUICK SOMEONE KIDNAP ONE OF THESE EDITORS OR PAST EDITORS!

The editor said as a reader of OP, it's somewhat saddening to learn all the spoilers ahead of time. I can see that.

When asked what sucks about being editors, they both testified Oda's obsessive perfectionist attitude getting in the way of deadline lol.
    Apparently just the other day, Oda missed the deadline and it was hell getting the chapter in time. Oda's attitude is "The chapter is done when it's done".
    As for editoral inputs, Oda mostly uses the editors as "first readers to read his work". He observe the reaction of the editors as a measure of how the readers would react. They testify they don't contibute much to Oda's work, since neither of them have anywhere near the talent Oda has, and it's sometimes painful that they can only stand by and wait, unable to help, when deadline is pressing.

Hattori says the most memorable scene of OP (for the chapters he was editing) was Sabo's comment about ashamed of his birth as a noble, and Dragon's shocked reaction to have such a young child come to that conclusion. It really drove home how talented a story writer he is.
    ---------- Post added December 21, 2012 at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was December 20, 2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

Oda drew the Dupont ligther in One Piece chapter 663 (thanks to Redon from AP for the image):

The whole panel:

The cigarrettes brand is funny: 'Death'. It is a clear message against smoking. I almost can see the negotiations with Dupont people:

Quote Quote:
    Dupont: We will pay you $ x0000000000000.
    Oda: Ok, I accept.
    Dupont: please Mr Oda, would it be possible to include a little panel with a drawing of the lighter or the pen in your manga?
    Oda: eh? that? mmmm (Inner thought: it is a lot of money). Just a single panel? .... ok.

Later in the intimacy of his study: "Damm you Dupont people. I wil draw the lighter but I will put a message against smoking."
    ---------- Post added December 28, 2012 at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was December 21, 2012 at 06:34 AM ----------

A vid from Dupont about their sets of pen and ligther and other stuffs. The vid close with a presentation of the Sleeping Mermaid set designed with the participation of Odachi. Introduction: 4:01, and presentation starts at 4:16

Two comments:
    • In 5:06 the mermaid ministory is shown in a wall; it's confirmed, the ones above published are all the panels of the ministory.
    • In the vid, the guy talks about two different sets. So I searched a bit and found that, there are three sets with one much more affordable then the other two made of gold: The Prime Collection (about 670 US), The Premium Collection, (made of gold, 2874 US) and the Prestige Collection, (18000 US). Here more info.

---------- Post added January 03, 2013 at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was December 28, 2012 at 07:16 PM ----------

Oda drew this for the 45th anyversary of the Shonen Jump.

Thanks to kaze1028 and redon from APforums for the pic.

8. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Another tribute from Oda to another famouse manga: Golgo 13. In the pic, tributes from Naoki Urasawa and Takehiko Inue also. More info here. Thanks to Redon from Pirateking for hosting the image.

Last edited by ukimix; November 08, 2013 at 03:38 PM.

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

wow the one on the far right is made by Takehiko Inoue .I love the shading

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Tribute from Oda to Betsuma Magazine for its 50th anniversary (source: tonytonychopper.xxxblog.jp. Thanks to Redon for the data.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2