Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: riddle me this

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

riddle me this

How would you translate this:

「やっぱり!?」

"Really!?" loses the nuance that the speaker expected it, or that they had a reason to suspect it.

"I knew it!?" just simply won't work as a question, as it is too declarative.

I wonder if anyone has a passable translation for this.

よろしゅうお願いし申す。
    翻訳中:B−SHOCK、かりん、クロザクロ

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: riddle me this

how about. "I thought so"
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njt
    how about. "I thought so"
    Do you think that would work as a question?

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
    Do you think that would work as a question?
    Well it depends on the situation really. I've used, and heard やっぱり?used in a way to express that they thought so, just wanted to get a second opinion. Translating too literally can sometimes take away from the meaning... so it's often good to think "outside" the box.

Like when you totally understand the meaning of it, but it doesn't sound right in english, think of what you would use in that situation and go with that (er try not to stray too far...) but yeah. I hope that helps^^;
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Grand Taichou 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity WinterLion's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

A little late coming in, but how about "That's it!?"

It would as Taychan said, depend a bit on the context, but that's what I would probably use.
    Not on the site anymore, See Forum Leaders Thread for the responsible folks.

Spoiler show

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

"You think?" taken a little sarcastically is also another decent way of expressing it, depending on the character and context.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, thanks everyone.
    Ive been mulling it over for some time now, and I think I'm just going to have to discard the questionlike aspect of the statement.

I cannot think of a way to succinctly express: "Is it really the way that I suspected it might be?" without being overly verbose and unnatural. So I'll probably give up on a literal translation and paraphrase it into an exclamation.

皆様方、有難う御座り申した

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really as I just suspected?

^ That's a little bit shorter ^^;

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HisshouBuraiKen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: okay, wow, I thought it was december 2k7, not 2k6. This forum gets so little action :P

Quote Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
    Hehe, thanks everyone.
    Ive been mulling it over for some time now, and I think I'm just going to have to discard the questionlike aspect of the statement.

I cannot think of a way to succinctly express: "Is it really the way that I suspected it might be?" without being overly verbose and unnatural. So I'll probably give up on a literal translation and paraphrase it into an exclamation.

皆様方、有難う御座り申した
    Very late, but...when someone says "yappari", what I do is:

If they definitely predicted / assumed the result, "I knew it", "Figures", etc.

If they didn't actually predict it but aren't surprised, "That makes sense", "No surprise there", etc

If they predicted it and are genuinely surprised, it gets tricky, but something like, "I though this might happen" or if it's a big exclamation, "I can't believe it, I was right!" This would be a quicker way to say what you said up there ^^

And if they didn't predict it and are surprised, it doesn't make much sense to use yappari, but if they do, "I'll be damned!" "Holy shit!" or other general exclamations.

Don't feel pressured to translate it exactly, it's one of those tricky ones that doesn't always come across smoothly. It's more important to get their state of mind at that point down and come up with some english that conveys how they feel & what they're trying to say with that "yappari."

New Reply