Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Seinen Series?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

What is Your Favorite Seinen Series?

As the title indicates, this is the thread to discuss your favorite seinen series. Tell us what you think are some of the finest series out there and why others should read them too. Feel free to discuss specifics of series as well when giving your recommendations. NO SPOILERS THOUGH WITHOUT THE USE OF SPOILER TAGS

Three of my all-time favorites that I DEMAND everyone go out and read if you haven't are:

Vagabond - A fantastic re-telling of the story of the famous samurai Musashi Miyamoto. In the story, Inoue, the mangaka, does an amazing job of not only showing how bloody and violent the life of a samurai can be, but he also details the inner struggles and trials one must face to truly become a master samurai. Even with it being currently incomplete, it is already a manga classic.

Bokurano - An interesting story that tells the tale of 11 children being sucked into a mech battle to save the planet. Not only are the twists and plot revelations in the sci-fi portion of the manga entertaining enough to keep you reading, the back stories of each child are so captivating and, in many cases, disturbingly real that you can't help but read it all in one sitting.

Vinland Saga - One of my top five manga easily! Vinland Saga is a story about vikings. And if that isn't enough already, it not only has massive amounts of bloodshed and gore, but the inner and outer burdens that the main character, Thorfinn, carries make for one hell of a read. This is one where I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by Drmke; October 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Your Favorite Seinen Series?

Those are interesting choices, Dermie!

one of the consistent top choices from seinen for me would be Vagabond and Berserk.

Berserk I like because it shows a wonderful evolution of characters. Gantz is like that in a way (about the characters) but a bit slower and focuses too much on the main character.

For a time Vagabond dropped from my top ten because of all the breaks the mangaka took. But if it's all-time seinen favorites, definitely Vagabond would be a good choice. I'd read it for the art alone, but even the story and poetry are very rich it truly is a beautiful work.

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dedal_x's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, in terms of being a total and all-time seinen favorite, it would be

Genshiken also known as The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture. A story about a college club full of otaku. A truly great manga. For me it also carries that nostalgic elitist feeling of times when reading manga/watching anime was unpopular. XD

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty hard to choose a favorite...I really choose my seinen titles according to a certain mood I'm in, or considering the genre...I have a pretty strict standards, so I really like all the seinen titles so far...

But there are a few though which when started I couldn't stop for a single moment...and those are Berserk, Blame! and Homunculus...Blame! was probably the best, because it was a complete series and I didn't have to wait for new stuff...

Behind these there's Vinland Saga, but I decided that I would continue that once a lot more chapters will be released...VS is not something to be read chapter after chapter, and honestly Berserk is the same...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game - I think it was my first seinen series too. It's on hiatus until next year which is killing me inside. It's a great weekly read that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Brain bending situations that keep you guessing until the reveal. Multiple scenarios can occur and you can become addicted to solving them. I send a few hours working on theories from the 17 card poker round. Now I wait for the next round to start and Fukunaga better be participating.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of feel the same as bene; picking a favorite is like comparing apples and oranges but here are a few favorites:
    1. Berserk: The scope is amazing. Epic in the literary sense, it's amazing that focus has been maintained as well as it has over such a long period of time.
    2. Blame!: So stark, the imagination runs wild with Nihei series. Blame is the best of the them.
    3. Brothers of Japan: Collection of Matsumoto Taiyo short stories. A really great sampler of his early work. Some of his best nouvelle style work was done during this period, all of what makes him great is captured here.
    4. Memories of Emanon: Sweeping art, sharply written characters, and tons of emotional depth. Really brilliant.
    5. Noramimi: Funny and sweet, Noramimi is cuddlier then a series this smart has any right to be.
    6. the Music of Marie: Impossible to explain without spoiling. Furuya's obsessions with religion and youth come together perfectly here.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I sadly only read two so far, but I guess they were good choices:
    Berserk and Shigurui.
    I love both of them
    Shigurui for showing (partially at least) incredible realistics in sword fights as 99,5% of all media seems to agree that duels without armor but razor sharp swords in general cannot be decided in less then 10 minutes; Shigurui resembles reality much more and beatifully portraits the Samurai society with all the cruelities of those times.
    Berserk... is Berserk. It's amazing, shows amazingly beatiful shots non-stop, has a most epic and stylish hero and storyline and villains and whatsnotelse! I think it's not possible to a human brain not to fall in love with at least one or two aspects of Berserk.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaiten, you'd consider Music of Marie more Seinen rather than josei?

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to say but I will go with Berserk. I like dark setting of the series and Gutz is too awesome character. Tenjou Tenge, Wolfguy, and Ubel Blatt are also few of my favorites.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of my favorites at the top of my head (the finished ones)
    Emma: Kaoru Mori's Emma how could I not love this. Not just with the art but the style of how she uses frames to create the atmosphere of restraint that made me fall inlove with this manga. If ever I had to look for a manga that made great use of panels I would say it would be this series. She just knows what part to show in order to create restraint. Moreover, I find it to be one of the rare period series that is actually accurate to its period - the amount of research she puts into every little detail is staggering. I don't see much period series as historically accurate as this.

Mushishi: Another woman author! This one managed to create the feeling of folklore well - each tale really did feel like something out of a folk legend. More importantly it had this quite "humanistic" touch to it. The care given to the characters and their problems are all just so human that they feel so palpable. The encounters they have to Mushishi are both so fantastic yet mundane. I love this series - pick up the complete translation if you can!

Undercurrent: Ok a manga by a male author one that I am watching out for. I have a thing for restraint I guess but this one shot was quite meditative. It explores the nature of understanding another person - really brings up great thoughts to ponder on. Another thing I loved about it was its atmosphere it was just so well done. Quiet on the surface but below you can feel quite a raging river - or as the title suggests an undercurrent. I've also read some of his other works and I definitely would watch out for Toyada Tetsuya.
    Last edited by Hamy; October 26, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mushishi is another favorite, I haven't bought the last three volumes yet. Definitely in my top ten of all manga. One of my all time favorite manga too. I haven't read Emma but do read Otoyomegatari.

Quote Originally Posted by dedal_x View Post
    Well, in terms of being a total and all-time seinen favorite, it would be

Genshiken also known as The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture. A story about a college club full of otaku. A truly great manga. For me it also carries that nostalgic elitist feeling of times when reading manga/watching anime was unpopular. XD
    Are you reading the sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Kaiten, you'd consider Music of Marie more Seinen rather than josei?
    I do, since it was serialized in Comic Birz.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member One Eyed Sharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiraishin: about a.. i'd say cold blooded police handling crime cases in Shinjuku.
    One Outs: i just like this type of main character... and his expression when he owns his opponents as if he's saying "you all are gonna be dead now, maggots"

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I read very little seinen, since i am very picky about the stories and all. But the current ongoing chapter that i religiously wait bi-weekly is definitely

Until Death Do us Part. A blind swordman with matrix reflexes as your bodyguard. what else do you want? >.<

Well the reason i love UDDUP cause it give you a feeling you are watching a movie instead or reading a still picture. Not much gory, no overflowing testosterone effects, good character development and story telling.

I like One Outs, Liar Game and Black Lagoon too.

Curious about Vinland Saga, but since i don't really like/care about Vikings history, i never have a time to check it out.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleodux View Post
    Until Death Do us Part. A blind swordman with matrix reflexes as your bodyguard. what else do you want? >.<
    Well the reason i love UDDUP cause it give you a feeling you are watching a movie instead or reading a still picture. Not much gory, no overflowing testosterone effects, good character development and story telling.
    I love Until Death to us Part too. I thought at first that it was shounen when i've first read it. I agree that the character's development as well as the cool action sequence is what i love in this manga.

Arakawa under the Bridge
    Even though the artwork is simple as well as the story's setting, i love the humour of this series.
    Its convenient to read its short pages too. The characters pecularities are interesting as well as funny too.

xxxHolic
    A tandem series of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I like the crossover of other Clamp's series in this manga.
    It also features japanese myths and other folklores which is introduced in modern/manga-style. I love the comedy of Watanuki and Yuko as well on the earlier series but later on, the manga shows more mature & serious tone of setting.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ketorin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few favorites of seinen.

(these are not in any particular order)

1 Wolfguy, I love this series and do recommend it to the masses. This is not your typical werewolf series

2 xxxHolic, yes it is kind of like a side story to Tsubasa Chronicles but not. It's awesome and I do recommend it. This series like to explore different folklores so if you like folklore this is good.

3 Deadman Wonderland, okay so it does say Shounen in some places but I think this could qualify as a seinen. (I thought this was seinen for the longest time) This doesn't have your typical protagonist he seems very weak but he does grow through out the series.

Okay so this last one isn't a manga but I love it to pieces and it's my favorite seinen out there

Darker than Black, this is my most favorite anime there is and I recommend it to everyone. It has action (really good action) and comedy at points and the story is very original(that's one thing that i love about it) and the characters to have some great development. I will say right here that I did not like the second season of this anime. And there are some manga written between the first and second season(at least think that's when it takes place)

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast