Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Seinen Series?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Your Favorite Seinen Series?

If you're looking for psychological manga try Homunculus and Nijigahara Hollograph. Both are great series about human psychology and sense of self. I should warn that Homunculus is stalled at volume 10, there are three un-translated volumes

I can't think of any human relations or slice of life off hand right now (I do read a lot) but we just started a favorite genre discussion. Read some of the posts there, I know a few good examples were mentioned.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot kaiten. i already read homunculus up to volume 7 and it's pretty interesting. And Nijigahara holograph is by Asano inio, right? i have read solanin, and it is a great slice of life manga. i'll try your reccomendations.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in the great situation of not having read too many yet, but enough to be exited about Seinen in general. This allows me to kinda always take the last good Seinen I read as my favorite - I guess everyone knows this kinda feeling, the most recent good thing always seems to be the greatest one as many other memories are a little dusted already.
    However, I couldn't name a specific all time favorite yet. These are the Seinen I read and I loved every one of them:

-Shigurui. Very realistic, the scenario is actually quite "unpleasant", it's a disgusting world in a way. But it's totally impressive and really took me to the world of Samurai (and partially their myths as well) with a logical/historical precision I cannot remember to have seen in any other fictional work yet. (It's not actually historical precise in terms of persons and dates, but it -in my mind- gives an absolute precise image of Samurai society. I think it was 17th century for this story)
    2003-2010 (finished), 78 Chapters, by Takayuki Yamaguchi - there is an anime covering the first half of the plot

-Berserk. The mother of all manga? Just totally impressive. I'm a little disappointed in the latest developements to be honest, but the start and especially all of Golden Age arc totally make up for that. There just can't be a more badass hero than Gatsu, and the story is so epic.
    1990-2??? (ongoing), 318 Chapters (monthly releases), by Kentaro Miura - has an anime covering one story arc

-Vinland Saga. It's quite offhanded and "relaxed" I think, more than many other mangas are. It doesn't feel quite as dogged even in serious moments, while at the same time treating quite some serious contents. It's not ridiulous though or something.
    The scenario and characters are totally awesome, the choice of Vikings as the major party even more. The latest chapters kinda broke with the style of the first fifty or sixty-something (which have been labelled as "Introduction", so it seems Yukimura doesn't plan on beeing done with it so soon) and added more depth, while also letting the reader guess what might happen big times.
    The story is really unpredictable and great. I wish they would release new chapters much faster!
    2005-2??? (ongoing), 69 chapters (monthly releases), by Makoto Yukimura

-Planetes, by the Mangaka of Vinland Saga, was my latest read. I just finished, so the impression is still fresh. And it leaves a huge impression!
    First I totally couldn't get to the scenario - I just read it because someone recommended it specifically for me - but I got used to it quite soon. It's a nice alternative: It's not about war and fighting, it's just an "ordinary" story in the year 2070, with quite plausible predictions for our future and high realism. No aliens by the way - this is a story about humans, emotions and maybe philosophy, and it's a very good one. Very touching and enjoyable. The end seemed abrupt and surprised me, I don't wanna say that it disappointed me though. Rather open ends can be a great thing, I think I'll keep guessing how the story could develope for the rest of my life
    1994-2004, 26 chapters, by Makoto Yukimura - has been made an anime as well, don't know if it's complete

I can really recommend every one of these, they're totally worth beeing read.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 07, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-Berserk
    pretty self-explanatory, its probably one of the best stories I've ever come across in fiction. Its not anything revolutionary but its told in an incredible manner, and the scope is absolutely enormous. The characters are the best part of it, they go through so many changes, it becomes almost mind-boggling if you compare their personalities at the beginning versus the end.

-Liar Game
    hell yeah another one of my favorites! All the games and the mind-tricks and the psychology add up to an intense experience. Its a real page turner if that can be applied to manga lol. Though it can pretty complicated at times so I have to re-read chapters to make sure I got the whole thing. Some parts are so mind-bending...yeah

-Battle Angel Alita
    an oldie but a real goodie. I think the sequel is shounen but the original is definitely seinen. The art is really dynamic and the fights are very stylish and easy to follow. The manga is sort of a throw back to comic books in a way, similar to Akira. The plot and setting are also well-done, love the cyberpunk feel to everything

-Vagabond
    best historical manga ever lol. Art is very impressive, the action is brutal and savage however it feels justified. Characters are another strong point, they're all fairly unique and go through some interesting development. Pacing can be a bit off at times but its still an excellent manga

-Vinland Saga
    in the same vein as Berserk and Vagabond, great characters, excellent setting and general MANLINESS abound lol. One thing I've always liked about the art is that it's real clean. It's very dynamic when a fight happens but just as well done when more subtle actions take place.

-Sanctuary
    I actually reading this recently but its already got me by the collar. Suspense, thrilling and politics to rival that of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, its superb. Reminds me in many ways of Monster and 20th Century Boys

there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment lol

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read many seinens including the most known ones(Vagabond, Vinland Saga...). I used to consider Berserk the best among of all them. Then recently i found a manhwa called Priest and it simply took the place of Berserk as my favorite. In my opinion it is far superior to Berserk in terms of storyline and character development. Hyung Min-woo, the author of the series, has a brilliant mind. He was able to put the old-western, medieval and contemporany times in an action/horror title and not make it look like a 2nd tier western spaghetti horror. Not only that, but his artwork is also very unique and is unlike any other i've seen in mangas. It remembers a little hellboy's art. My english is not that good to explain further details of the qualities and why i this manga fascinates me so much, so i'm gonna quote somebody's speechs(i think it's from the director of the publisher in the USA)

"Yes, Priest is an action/horror title. Yes, it’s packed with grotesque monsters, dark heroes and brutal fights that make you shout, “Holy crap!!” Action junkies will LOVE this manhwa. But here’s the thing about Priest that surprises most people—it’s also one of the most intelligent series we publish.

Through its sixteen volumes (and counting), Priest questions what it means to be an individual in a world where all were created in God’s image, and it looks at the repercussions caused by the creation of man. Prior to our birth, the angels were God’s favored children. It’s hardly surprising that many of them wouldn’t be too happy about being replaced in the eyes of their creator.

Engaging and smart Christian philosophy abounds in a tale that is told over multiple time periods and that centers on one fallen priest’s quest for revenge—a quest that may also save the rest of humanity. Min-Woo Hyung, in an art style that’s entirely his own, has created a masterpiece in Priest. One that I believe will continue to be read and discussed long after Father Ivan Isaacs rides off into his last sunset."

To me this manhwa is a underlooked masterpiece and should get more attention from the seinen fans. It is simply amazing.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that there still isn't a single Seinen I read which I did not like. Apart from Vagabond, but that's really only a very short impression and I'll give it another chance. Sometimes the introduction of a good story gives a bad impression.

However, I caught up with all available chapters of two more Seinen since my last list, and got really exited about both of them so I can add them to my favorites:
    -Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest
    -Nononono (I don't really see why it's a Seinen actually besides that it's published in Weekly Young Jump, but it's still awesome )

Wolfen Crest has a great style of arts imo, even though it took me some time to get used to the rather unpleasant faces. Actually I didn't like the first part a lot, it sounded a little overdone and with too much pathos, but that changed around Ch. 25-30 I think.

Nononono is really funny and Nono is so cute
    The ski jumping parts and constant games around her gender are very thrilling as well. Probably it's just me, but it's the most thrilling manga I've read so far

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering how nobody mentions Blade of the immortal. Its one of may favourites. Epic swordfights, characters, plot and plot-twists. Also wondering on that almost nobady scanlates it.. well.. there is always someone who pcks it up.. but there were a lot team that droped it...
    Other my favs are Berserk, Vagabond and Gantz too, as it is for many of you. Oh and Blame! and some other works of Nihei also.

I used to read NHK but stopped it a while (...ages) ago.. i'm thinking on get to reading it again, and looking for that Vinland Saga too. Your summaries made me courious.

I also like Vampire Hunter D.. though the anime was better than the manga.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDN-567 View Post
    I also like Vampire Hunter D.. though the anime was better than the manga.
    Which have you read? I have only been able to find 2 of the stories scanlated into english, one of which is the storyline of the first film.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

- Vagabond - my all times favourite , unrivalled under the heavens ^_~ its not an ordinary manga but an epic novel with pictures

- Berserk - its well-known enough to not go explaining

- Deadman Wonderland - what can i say , i like the blood and the story is nice (not the most interesting one tho)

- XBlade - good character designs and good action . the story is still a mystery but im hoping it will be good

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Shamo,but it's incomplete and i could never see the end.i like also dorohedoro,the pity is that this manga goes out very slowly.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    - Vagabond - my all times favourite , unrivalled under the heavens ^_~ its not an ordinary manga but an epic novel with pictures

- Berserk - its well-known enough to not go explaining
    It's such a shame to think that these two might not see completion
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    Which have you read? I have only been able to find 2 of the stories scanlated into english, one of which is the storyline of the first film.
    I've only read the first 2, too. Now i've just searched for it, and found the 4th in english, but only finnish from the 3rd volume...

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

ken shiro and Slam dunk are shounens,aren't they?
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; January 04, 2011 at 09:46 AM.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    It's such a shame to think that these two might not see completion
    i didnt know there was such a case with vagabond
    Last edited by shinsengumi; January 04, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    ken shiro and Slam dunk are shounens,aren't they?
    They are. So is Deadman Wonderland.

Berserk will certainly be completed. Vagabond, maybe not >_<

Despite only doing a volume a year, there are no signs that Berserk will go on indefinite hiatus. Vagabond may never return from this hiatus, Inoue did not sound to enthusiastic. Real is better anyway, if he had to put one on indefinite hiatus, I'm glad it was Vagabond.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast