Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/1/14 - 9/7/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    ^What chapter is that?
    I hate reading single chapters, but at this point I don't care anymore.. give me anything
    And I was thinking this week... Martin is already 65 years old and isn't a fast writer, the odds of we getting a Robert Jordan aren't that low :/
    http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerp...nds-of-winter/

He doesn't have any other obligations or roadblocks in his way. Prior to him stopping his writing and working on his part for the companion book coming out next Autumn, there shouldn't be anything keeping him from writing...except him self of course. His last count was 200 pages done prior to that. But he himself keeps it open and refuses to give any estimations on release anymore. He did it was too often in the past and people got even more pissed.

Anyways, regarding Mercy...it's probably right up there with the Theon chapter that got released a christmas or two ago. Freaking marvelous. You can see the influence the chapter had on the season premiere.
    Spoiler show

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Theon's chapter and I knew about some Asha and Barristan chapters that were read in conventions
    Didn't know about this one, though

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

And I dunno gary... to me Martin looks like a guy who can get a heart attack sleeping at any moment hahah

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Theon's chapter and I knew about some Asha and Barristan chapters that were read in conventions
    Didn't know about this one, though
    There was a Barristan chapter? I guess that was a recent thing. I stopped following the convention/book signing reports. The only ones we've actually had in full written form were two Arianne chapters, Theon, and now Mercy (Arya). Oh and one of the Tyrion chapters we already knew info from, if you download the official book app.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

And I dunno gary... to me Martin looks like a guy who can get a heart attack sleeping at any moment hahah
    Yeah, they've been saying the same once the fifth book came out and people got annoyed again

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Korean Kuroko's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume spoilers dont have to be tagged?

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Aegon theory
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...htfyre-theory/

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's keep content from Windows of Winter tagged. But anything from the 5 books that are out need no tags.

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

I think from reading the Mercy chapter, I have to say...a lot of fans seem sort of torn on this. Not sure where they expect Arya's story to go, or where it will end. But it definitely isn't looking good. The ending to this chapter is only more evidence of this. I'm actually sort of curious what the fanboys/fangirls think of her as a character. Her later chapters give me the same feeling as Bran's. It's like this thing I saw about the Stark children, likening them to Chess pieces. Some can fit in other places, but with every Arya chapter and now this one....Arya is not going to be a "knight". She's warped and damaged, psychotic even. Part of that might be her wearing the faces of other people, maybe that's what happens to Faceless Men...maybe they all end up back at the House of Black and White, for that cup of mercy. But what sort of resolution could Arya possibly have at this point? There's nothing to her but her list, her childhood and innocence completely taken away. Anyone who was like "fuck yeah Arya" at the end of that chapter without anything else after some self-reflection is kidding themselves. She's 11 years old for fucks sake, wearing the faces of other people. She's living vengeance and nothing else. There's no coming back for her...I don't see how she can be a champion for the Starks. She's no Knight.

Bran is a bit of a bishop, but his fate is sort of the same. He'll play his part, but where does he go from there? He's dead as far as everyone else knows.

Robb was a King, Sansa could be a Queen, John is a Rook and could be a King, and Rickon will most definitely be a Pawn and could be a King as well. But I can't envision a future where Arya becomes Arya Stark again. She won't be Brienne.

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Korean Kuroko View Post
    I knew the Blackfyre theory already. Not sure why they brought Aerion Brightflamer's bastard into it, presumable to make Varys' actions make more sense. A lot of what he writes is convoluted and filled with confirmation bias. It's way too intricate. What does it really matter in the end anyways? I think there's enough foreshadowing that Aegon isn't really Aegon (Mummer's dragon, Slayer of lies, etc).

I mean, it could be. Why Varys and Illyrio are plotting this big scheme is anyone's guess. But it doesn't make his claim better than Dany's. He's just a distant cousin. So all of that could be true or it couldn't, but I don't think it'll matter as far as resolution goes. Dany isn't going to accept that and just be a Princess, lol. Hell, Jon has a better claim than Aegon would, if the R+L=J theory is legit...which it seems fans pretty much agree is fact.

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Quote Quote:
    "You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."
    Something Jon said to Arya in the first book....foreshadowing? Wooooooooooooooooooow

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Korean Kuroko's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if I only care about Arya for the badass points. I really dont care about her mental state. A 100% happy ending was never in the cards.

As for Aegon, I hope they cut him some slack. He 100% thinks he is Aegon and despite his jerkish dialogue Varys says he is a man of the people who puts the realm first.

Theory: Aegon takes KL, crowns himself king. Dany gets over her lazy ass and arrives in Westeros. Aegon somehow needs to get one of Dany's Dragons for himself. The Second Dance with Dragons, heavy casualties on both sides. Meanwhile, The Others finally arrive and The Wall falls. The North gets fucked: Boltons die, Stannis dies, everyone who cant run fast enough dies. Aegon and Dany join forces to stop The Others. Aegon finds out the truth, relinquishing his bid for the throne to Dany. Against popular opinion, Tyrion will NOT ride one of the dragons.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Korean Kuroko View Post
    I'm sorry if I only care about Arya for the badass points. I really dont care about her mental state. A 100% happy ending was never in the cards.

As for Aegon, I hope they cut him some slack. He 100% thinks he is Aegon and despite his jerkish dialogue Varys says he is a man of the people who puts the realm first.

Theory: Aegon takes KL, crowns himself king. Dany gets over her lazy ass and arrives in Westeros. Aegon somehow needs to get one of Dany's Dragons for himself. The Second Dance with Dragons, heavy casualties on both sides. Meanwhile, The Others finally arrive and The Wall falls. The North gets fucked: Boltons die, Stannis dies, everyone who cant run fast enough dies. Aegon and Dany join forces to stop The Others. Aegon finds out the truth, relinquishing his bid for the throne to Dany. Against popular opinion, Tyrion will NOT ride one of the dragons.
    Then who's the third head?

I don't really expect Aegon to be one of the heads. He's referred to as a the "Mummer's Dragon" for a reason. Ever since Tyrion first met him, right up until him landing with the Golden Company, right up until him winning Storm's End back...his journey is going way too easily and quickly.

I don't think the Dance will mirror the historical Dance. People are too focused with the Dragons and the crown and forget about the North. There isn't enough time to squabble and fight over the Iron Throne. It won't be prolonged at least.

Victarion's plans for Dragonbinder will either work, or he'll die trying to take a Dragon, just like Quentyn. "Euron's gifts are poisoned"

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

There's plenty of badass points from other parts in the story. She's a psycho at this point, and her descent is too dark for me to only care about her list. We see time and time again that characters who are too focused on one thing have a bad ending. Ned's honor, Robb's love, Cat's family, Tywin's power, etc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin said in an interview that Arya's psychology is reflection of the real life kids in African (?) country. There even kids are involved in murder/robbery for their survival. I actually like characters like her. She is my favorite character in the series along with Tyrion.

Noblesse Forever!

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

It goes beyond that, it's Elio of Westeros.org compares her progression to that of a child soldier. Which is something you also find in some places in Africa.

A major theme in the books is that every action has a repercussion, even the "just" ones. So, a fan of Arya might have been "hell yeah" or "badass" at the end of the chapter, but Arya's gotten to the point where I no longer have that sort of reaction. It's just sadness now.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah... we can easily compare her mental state to that of Nymeria, who's wildling roaming and killing in westeros. She has walked path to dark, just surviving. Even back in Winterfell, having to part ways with nymeria because Sansa is an idiot. We don't expect happy endings for everyone, but she is such a likeable character that it makes we want her to have some peace.... but I don't expect it for her.

Catelyn had a horrible ending, but I didn't like her, so I was sad but ok... the same would occur if it happened with Sansa
    But Arya.. she's especial.

And about Aegon, I think, he'll never sit on the throne... he have no dragons and everyone believed him dead, he'll not be easily accepted and I don't think he has the manpower for it
    at this point I think that neither will Daenerys

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's fine as a figurative comparison. But Arya's innocence is completely gone, her childhood completely gone. I think she'll ask for the gift of mercy at the House of Black and White, once she's scratched enough names off her list. She's gone at this point IMO.

Tough to say about Aegon, but things are going a little too well, too quickly for him.

---------- Post added April 18, 2014 at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was April 14, 2014 at 01:20 AM ----------

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/world-...d-fire-sample/

GRRM released a sample from The Worlds of Ice and Fire, about Aegon's Conquest

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

At least he's only consulting on it... cuz I just think he should finish the main series first, then work on the other stuff about the world, like the short stories e stuff like that.

btw, I think a TV mini series about robert rebellion would be great

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

At least he's only consulting on it... cuz I just think he should finish the main series first, then work on the other stuff about the world, like the short stories e stuff like that.

btw, I think a TV mini series about robert rebellion would be great
    He actually wrote a lot of it and seemed to stop working on Winds as much in order to finish it. But it's completely finished now and is having illustration added to it. It's slated to come out in the Fall.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like