Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 280

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

  1. #256
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    The problem with Slaver's Bay to me is.. I couldn't care less about it haha
    A bunch of guys that I can't get the name right not moving the plot foward

    My interest there was actually in the Tyrion/Victarion/Quentin storyline. Although Quentin's was as dull as his character. Victarion is kind of boring in the "monkey things", but I can see he moving something.. and Tyrion, well, he's Tyrion... the where whores go every damn chapter was overdone but it was my only interest there.
    I love Barristan, but I could care less about his next battle... the only fun interesting thing is that the dragons probably will be draw by blood and noise and roast some soldiers hahah

    ---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

    and what preview chapters? You mean the ones from the 6th book that were released?
    ...

  2. #257
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Yeah, I think there are 3-4 in total, and they involve those characters. That's why they're good.

    I couldn't give a crap about most of the Meereenese

  3. #258
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Don't hate Vic. He just grew up in a bad neighbourhood.

    I must admit he is slowly climbing up my favorite character ladder. He is hilarious, and a dumb and mean character is something you rarely have so heavily featured in books, specially fantasy. Atleast not as point of view character.

  4. #259
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Yeah, he's easily the dumbest PoV character, but somehow GRRM makes him interesting

    ---------- Post added August 03, 2014 at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was August 01, 2014 at 04:07 PM ----------



    Not sure how I missed this video, but more info on their book with GRRM coming out in October. I've read all of the excerpts and it's shaping up to be amazing. A nice holdover until GRRM gets TWoW out.

    ---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------



    Princess Nymeria
    Last edited by xi0; August 03, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

  5. #260
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Your link is broken here.. =/
    ...

  6. #261
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    Your link is broken here.. =/
    Fixed it?

  7. #262
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    *doesn't actually read anything because spoiler fear*

    I only have one more book left before I'm caught up.

    Also, I got my mom to start the series. She just finished A Game of Thrones.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #263
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    *doesn't actually read anything because spoiler fear*

    I only have one more book left before I'm caught up.

    Also, I got my mom to start the series. She just finished A Game of Thrones.
    I'm amazed that you've avoided any spoilers during your read, especially since you haven't rushed through it book to book. Plus the whole tumblr and internet in general and stuff...just wow

    What did she think of it? There are only a few missing things from the first season as far as the book goes, and that's what makes it the best season still.

  10. #264
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I'm amazed that you've avoided any spoilers during your read, especially since you haven't rushed through it book to book. Plus the whole tumblr and internet in general and stuff...just wow
    For the most part, I'm really good at avoiding spoilers. I completely ignore fansites, fanarts, commercials, etc while reading something. There's even something on tumblr called "blacklisting" so that I can exclude certain hashtags from my feed. A lot of people are nice and tag things as "GoT spoilers" and that sort of thing.

    But then... as soon as I finish the book.... I GO ON AN INTERNET OBSESSION FANART ADVENTURE RAMPAGE!

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    What did she think of it? There are only a few missing things from the first season as far as the book goes, and that's what makes it the best season still.
    Seems as thought she liked it. She's already seen season 1-3 by now, so it's not like there are any suprise, plottwist! moments for her, but she says she understands the characters and what was happening more fully now. To be honest, I don't know how people just watch the show. I would be in a perpetual state of confusion if it weren't for reading the books first.

  11. #265
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    For the most part, I'm really good at avoiding spoilers. I completely ignore fansites, fanarts, commercials, etc while reading something. There's even something on tumblr called "blacklisting" so that I can exclude certain hashtags from my feed. A lot of people are nice and tag things as "GoT spoilers" and that sort of thing.

    But then... as soon as I finish the book.... I GO ON AN INTERNET OBSESSION FANART ADVENTURE RAMPAGE!
    Like this? (except it isn't fanart, official art for the companion book coming out in October)

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    Seems as thought she liked it. She's already seen season 1-3 by now, so it's not like there are any suprise, plottwist! moments for her, but she says she understands the characters and what was happening more fully now. To be honest, I don't know how people just watch the show. I would be in a perpetual state of confusion if it weren't for reading the books first.
    Yeah, supposedly it's worse when the show shifts around too often. It was a big problem in the second season and some instances of it last season.

    But with how things are shaking out with production, I'm kind of concerned about watching the show, since some characters will move past their book material. There was already an instances in episode 3 or 4 which showed things the book hasn't shown yet, which confirmed speculation that readers have had for years. And as amazing looking as it was, I still prefer not having it...it was just thrown in their haphazardly too

  12. #266
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    I just finished A Dance with Dragons and it was a somewhat difficult read for me. For reasons I'm not quite sure about, I literally only care about Bran's storyline now, at least in this novel. In the fourth novel, I waited for the Sansa / Littlefinger chapters too, and I hope to get more of those three characters in the next book.

    John's chapters were okayish and Dany's weren't as bad towards the end. @_@ The Tyrion chapters... I gave next to zero shits. *brick'd*

  13. #267
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    I just finished A Dance with Dragons and it was a somewhat difficult read for me. For reasons I'm not quite sure about, I literally only care about Bran's storyline now, at least in this novel. In the fourth novel, I waited for the Sansa / Littlefinger chapters too, and I hope to get more of those three characters in the next book.

    John's chapters were okayish and Dany's weren't as bad towards the end. @_@ The Tyrion chapters... I gave next to zero shits. *brick'd*
    Sansa chapters were cut from Dance.

    There are so many more storylines than the ones you listed...what about them?

    Too many people talk shit about Tyrion in the 5th book

  14. #268
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    well... the "where whores go" every page gets a little annoying.
    And he's in Essos, nobody cares about what happens in Essos hahahah
    but it's good to see his interactions with young and old griffin

    To be completely honest, on my first read of DwD I skipped all but the first of Victarion, Tyrion and Daenerys chapters... cuz I wanted to know what was happening in westeros, the wall and beyond way too much.
    After that I did a second and honest read of the whole book to do things right
    ...

  15. #269
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Sansa chapters were cut from Dance.

    There are so many more storylines than the ones you listed...what about them?

    Too many people talk shit about Tyrion in the 5th book
    I think my problem was that I should have read more books between 4 & 5. More than likely I was just getting sick of Martin's style and not giving myself enough time to truly wonder "what's going to happen??" I have NO idea how people can sit down and read this entire series one book after another. There is no denying that Martin is a great writer and a wonderfully complex storyteller... but there's just so much content. I just find myself getting impatient when I should just be enjoying the ride.


    Oh, Reek's storyline was somewhat interesting if not frustrating and often disgusting. Didn't find myself looking forward to it, though.

    Barristan Selmy was a nice addition towards the end, mainly because I agreed with his "jesus fuckin shit. I hate this political shit. omfg u guise. wheres Dany guise get on with the story yall guys" disposition.

    I didn't see the point in "Prince Frog's" story at all. I had no idea what the point was, other than to show the dragons killing someone off. Forced myself through his chapters, to be honest. But if someone can enlighten me, I'm listening. Maybe the significance comes later.

    I became very tired of Cersei is book 4. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled to see her again.


    I could have read a 200 page book about Bran and been 100 X happier.

    It wasn't bad writing, it wasn't an (entirely) slow plot, the characters weren't poorly developed. But hell. It did NOT need to be 1000+ pages.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    well... the "where whores go" every page gets a little annoying.
    And he's in Essos, nobody cares about what happens in Essos hahahah
    AMEN. It doesn't take a genius to know Tywin meant "HELL". Whores go to hell. In his eyes I'd assume, anyway. Unless his last words had some actual meaning or something.

    [/QUOTE]To be completely honest, on my first read of DwD I skipped all but the first of Victarion, Tyrion and Daenerys chapters... cuz I wanted to know what was happening in westeros, the wall and beyond way too much.
    After that I did a second and honest read of the whole book to do things right[/QUOTE]

    At first I was like: HOW COULD YOU???

    And then I was like: Naw, I feel you bruh.

  16. #270
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

    Prince Frog? Quentyn? His introduction was to show the Martells weren't just hanging out in Dorne, doing nothing. That Doran had plans, etc. His existence and journey also effects Arianne in a pretty negative way as well, with her paranoia causing her to do what she did with Myrcella.

    At the core of the story, ASoIaF is a story about fathers. Arianne is presented sort of as a foil to Cersei, in some ways.

    I mean, Quentyn's chapters weren't particularly interesting from a character standpoint. I guess they gave us more info about the sellsword companies, setting up a bit of the conflict going on in the Disputed Lands, etc. But I think ultimately, Quentyn's death will have far more sweeping ramifications for the story than what he did with his life. It leaves the Windblown and The Tattered Prince in an unknowing position. It'll also almost certainly get back to Doran and Arianne, especially since the Targaryen they've always wanted, and their own "blood" at that, has landed in Westeros. Will they ally themselves with Aegon? Will they think that Dany is his responsible for Quentyn's death? A lot of speculation there.

    ---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    AMEN. It doesn't take a genius to know Tywin meant "HELL". Whores go to hell. In his eyes I'd assume, anyway. Unless his last words had some actual meaning or something.
    That statement is what got him killed. When Tyrion killed Tywin, he was genuinely asking what became of her. There's no doubt that Tyrion still holds out hope of finding her, regardless of whether that statement became a metaphor or not. When he was in Volantis, he had some small hope of running into her.

    I don't get peoples reaction to Wherever whores go...

    ---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    I think my problem was that I should have read more books between 4 & 5. More than likely I was just getting sick of Martin's style and not giving myself enough time to truly wonder "what's going to happen??" I have NO idea how people can sit down and read this entire series one book after another. There is no denying that Martin is a great writer and a wonderfully complex storyteller... but there's just so much content. I just find myself getting impatient when I should just be enjoying the ride.
    I refreshed myself with the first book and read the next three, and then the fifth book came out later the same Summer, so it was very much one after the other. I had no problems, super enjoyable for me...dunno

New Reply
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts