Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series)

About Aegon, I can't see Danny helping him... he's a Varis' child, for all that Danny knows, Varis was the one puting ideas in her father's head.

I do think he(Aegon) would be a good king though. The guy was raised to be a ruler, with it being his duty, not his right(as danny thinks thanks(partly) of her mad brother).

I think Aegon's arrival to westeros is great, for the plot development. King's Landing will have to move(and the city is chaotic, with the sparrows, cersei's demise and Kevan's death), in the north the ice will be on fire with stannis/bolton clash, manderly's uprising and whatever news/people comes from greywatch tower; it'll be a great opportunity for the ironborn to move...
    and I'm not even counting Danny, who will probably die of boreness on the other side of the sea...

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    The thing is that if she frees as many slaves as she can it might get her to the point when she'll have an enormously big army of slaves (even though I would call it more like a tribe or croud ), than she will need tons of food to feed them and also it will take her longer to travel as big armies can't travel fast and also she won't manage to travel by see if she would have had an oportunity to do it, because she won't manage to put all of them on the ships and also her Dragons are too big at this point. They need to be somewhere near land.

It would be damn interesting to see more from Moqorro and also from other important Rhglor's priests. I believe there are some of them who are considerably stronger than those we know now in terms of so-called magic and predictions.

Marwyn the Mage? I don't remember this one. Can you remind me about him?
    Freeing slaves isn't a bad way to amass followers, Dany's done it already. I think we're assuming she'll form a Khalasar again, but going backward to go forward doesn't necessarily mean she'll be among the Dothraki again. She could even die technically from the bloody flux (if that's what it was and not her getting her period again...don't remember that part). We know that won't happen, but my point is that any number of things could occur. Marwyn could be among the Dothraki (unlikely)...no idea.

Marwyn the Mage is an archmaester from the Citadel. He talks with Samwell in AFFC and after hearing his story, he left to find Dany and nothing has been heard of him since. Maybe he was left out of the story in ADwD to make the Meerenese knot slightly less complicated than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    About Aegon, I can't see Danny helping him... he's a Varis' child, for all that Danny knows, Varis was the one puting ideas in her father's head.

I do think he(Aegon) would be a good king though. The guy was raised to be a ruler, with it being his duty, not his right(as danny thinks thanks(partly) of her mad brother).

I think Aegon's arrival to westeros is great, for the plot development. King's Landing will have to move(and the city is chaotic, with the sparrows, cersei's demise and Kevan's death), in the north the ice will be on fire with stannis/bolton clash, manderly's uprising and whatever news/people comes from greywatch tower; it'll be a great opportunity for the ironborn to move...
    and I'm not even counting Danny, who will probably die of boreness on the other side of the sea...
    Varys may have been doing that, but he's still more loyal to Targaryens than Lannisters or Baratheons, his actions prove it. He smuggled Aegon out of King's Landing and killed Kevan Lannister. It might be that Varys wants a Targaryen who could be molded to be put on the throne more than he wants Dany, and that only leads credence to the idea that Aegon might be an impostor. Still, he and Illyrio support Targs on the throne.

I have no idea what's going to happen in King's Landing. It might be reasonable to assume that the Faith could take it over, despite Mace Tyrell being Tommen's Hand, and Cersei still awaiting her trial-by-combat. With really only Tyrells in power in KL, I wander what will happen. I always thought Tyrells to be slightly less malignant Lannisters, only that we know less about them.
    Last edited by xi0; February 03, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

xi0
    Quote Quote:
    Freeing slaves isn't a bad way to amass followers, Dany's done it already. I think we're assuming she'll form a Khalasar again, but going backward to go forward doesn't necessarily mean she'll be among the Dothraki again. She could even die technically from the bloody flux (if that's what it was and not her getting her period again...don't remember that part). We know that won't happen, but my point is that any number of things could occur. Marwyn could be among the Dothraki (unlikely)...no idea.
    Yes, I totslly agree that freeing slaves is a good point in different ways: both as moral feat and as she gets followers. The thing is that there is no that much food around in Slave Cities now and they also have tons of diseased people who will spread it around, thus it will get tons of problems with her followers making each other diseased and hence she will be even slower than before. The thing is when thinking strategicaly - she will have tons of problems freeing slaves as she will have problems subdueing new cities as now Dragons don't obey her and not only the Black Dragon, but all three are flying free and killing people. And without her mightiest weapon (Dragons) she will loose tons of people freeing those slaves. And I don't think the slaves she'll free will contribute her in the sense that they will be just simple slaves, when in oder to free them she will loose tons of her slave-warriors.
    And about Khalasar... I don't really get how she will form an actual Khalasar? I think she already has something close to it, though somewhat different, but still.

Quote Quote:
    Marwyn the Mage is an archmaester from the Citadel. He talks with Samwell in AFFC and after hearing his story, he left to find Dany and nothing has been heard of him since. Maybe he was left out of the story in ADwD to make the Meerenese knot slightly less complicated than it was.
    Thanks, now I remember him.
    It might be interesting if he comes to Dany. He might be what she needs in order to get more logical, as now she doesn't have that many good chanselors to make good advice.

P.S. Also I believe that it might be interesting to see her getting Tyrion as one of her chanselors. What do you think about it?

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I imagine that once Dany is healthy (assuming Jhaqo's people nurse her back to health) that she'll stay true to her word and bring Mago to justice for what he did to the slave Dany rescued back in book 1. If that's the case, she'll make an enemy of Jhaqo, have him killed as well and take over his Khalasar. How she'll attack and kill, I do not know. I'm assuming Drogon will be involved though.

Maybe she'll come upon a sellsword company while she's out there as well?

I think most people think it'll be natural to fit in with Dany's group. He's a persuasive guy, so maybe he can convince her to spare his life for being a Lannister

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine wrote this review after reading the first book of GoT:
    Quote Quote:
    This is book is not in a genre with which I am familiar, and indeed before it my forays into fantasy consisted of The Hobbit and one book of Lord of the Rings. I must therefore apologise if what I am criticising in the book are simply generic convention. If they are, I may have a battle with fantasy on my hands . . .

I could not believe that a book that so thinly veils its misogyny behind a smug farcical attempt to 'empower' women has not come under more criticism. The reason I begun this review by mentioning genre is that I can not think of any other where that would be so easily accepted. To have a rape-count as high as it does without making any attempt to really address the issue is to use rape as a cheap plot device. To have the killer of Khal Drogo's son explain her murderous acts as a reaction to her repeated rapes, and then to have our seeming heroine Danaerys burn her alive as punishment for her actions is surely questionable.

And though not a rape, the incident near the beginning where Dany is basically prostituted by her brother to Khal Drogo for an army is very dubious. A thirteen year old girl is terrified and about to have sex with a much older man who she has no interest in - but at the last minute she decides she really, really wants it, and her husband becomes one of the books heroes? Hmmm.

I did not intend to rant as much as I have - suffice it to say that the examples I have given are very few, and I have not even gotten on to the portrayal of domestic violence.

I don't get on my soapbox very often, and I really try to judge a book on its artistic merits and as a product of its cultural context. Game of Thrones, for me, though, was just too far.

Thoughts?

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this person realize what medieval times were like?

Of course there's misogyny in the book, but conversely, some of the strongest characters in the books are women.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah she does, I pointed it out to her as the reasons why I didn't agree with her.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Yeah she does, I pointed it out to her as the reasons why I didn't agree with her.
    Weird. I know plenty of women who love the series, I'd be interested to get Darjaille and Farfalla's opinion on it.

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Weird. I know plenty of women who love the series, I'd be interested to get Darjaille and Farfalla's opinion on it.
    Oh don't get me wrong she loves the series but I think that's more of a personal opinion that anything. I've spoken to Nana about it and asked the same first question and had the same response that you gave

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Adi and Tiff are also going to read the books, so I'm interested in their opinion too.

Naomi said she would as well, but who knows when she'll get to it with all her dorky experiments

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Adi and Tiff are also going to read the books, so I'm interested in their opinion too.

Naomi said she would as well, but who knows when she'll get to it with all her dorky experiments
    Gotta let that DB fly free, she'll read it when she lands back to earth

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Gotta let that DB fly free, she'll read it when she lands back to earth

Well we made a deal that I had to read Harry Potter as well, but I haven't gotten to that either, so

Where are you now Bob?

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

*cough* not read it in a while, been too busy Gar....but I promise I'll read it this week, I'm still on chapter 8*cough*

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

That's unacceptable

You're going to have a heck of a time reading ACoK before season 2 starts.

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

That's unacceptable

You're going to have a heck of a time reading ACoK before season 2 starts.
    I think what will most likely happen is that I'll be reading book 2 as season 2 goes.

New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast