Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Art Evolution

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Art Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Sure, every new fan of the series is a good thing I read it around 2 years ago on Onemanga but that's not an option anymore. Searched a bit and you should find most of the chapters at mangarush(.com). There are 78 chapters so far, if you need more advice just pm me.

another example's Bakuman. I was kind of surprised because I hadn't thought that the change was so drastic but when I look back now it sure was
    two quick examples

Old

New
    Hmm, not much of a difference. You'd have to have a REALLY good eye to notice the change.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    Hmm, not much of a difference. You'd have to have a REALLY good eye to notice the change.
    Not really. Mashiro's face and hair look completely different, and Takagi's hair is less detailed, but a lot better looking. The newer chapters of Bakuman look like Obata has settled in and is a lot more comfortable drawing than he was in the beginning.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman has a drastic change in style (although not as drastic as other series). It is not really clear in the images, you have to see chapter one and the latest chapter yourself.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Obata-sensei was trying to transition out of the realistic art style of Death Note. (I don't count Ral Grad.) Despite the fact that Bakuman has a completely different story and theme, people will still try to compare it to DN because the author is also the same. By changing the art, the readers will read it as a separate manga.

If you look at this colour page he made for the Bakuman compilation book, he still has the ability to switch back between art styles. I consider the change in Bakuman a unique case of Art Evolution.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iceiphoenix View Post
    D.Gray-man has changed a lot too, especially since Hoshino sensei went monthly. I personally liked her art better from around chapter 70-160

Early group pic

Somewhere in the middle

Kind of recent group pic
    haha the there's an enormous change from the middle to the recent, every male character looks significantly more bishounen. But that's probably because of the switch from Weekly Jump to Jump SQ

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the most extreme examples that comes to mind is Vinland Saga. It might be partly due to Yukimara's moving from a weekly to a monthly magazine, but damn did his art improve as the series went on. I mean, the amount of detail he puts into it now compared when the series started is ridiculous.

Example:

Spoiler: Askeladd, old/new show

7. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

When i read Vinland Saga from chapter one to the latest chapter i completely didn't realize the art evolution at all. I guess that is because the storyline is too engaging.

The change is very impressive indeed.

P.S. i am very grateful it change publication from a shounen magazine to seinen magazine.
    Last edited by R4n; November 11, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't noticed either

Looking back I can see a huge difference when he switched to Afternoon. That was a demographic switch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceiphoenix View Post
    D.Gray-man has changed a lot too, especially since Hoshino sensei went monthly. I personally liked her art better from around chapter 70-160

Early group pic

Somewhere in the middle

Kind of recent group pic
    She always changes art styles after hiatus. Supposedly she also employs a lot of assistants, when they change her art style does too. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Around 700+? 8D The change should be apparent with the movies as well.<hr noshade size="1">
    The transition from vintage to contemporary manga is very drastic. Based on the art alone I could probably tell which series is from which decade even though I wouldn't have known anything about it.

It would be interesting if there was a veteran mangaka who experienced this transition. Will they adapt with the art trend at the time or will they stick to what they've always done regardless? For example, if we compare early Fushigi Yuugi (early 90s) to Watase Yuu's most recent manga, her art evolution evolved with the times. (That is, her art style is more contemporary now.)
    I love old school style art, especially from the 50's and 60's. I love 80's Toriyama too. Some of my favorite modern series, especially shonen, have throwback art styles - like One Piece. What I don't like is how Toriyama's art changed from Dr. Slump/ early Dragonball to the latter parts of Dragonball part I and DBZ.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I love old school style art, especially from the 50's and 60's. I love 80's Toriyama too. Some of my favorite modern series, especially shonen, have throwback art styles - like One Piece. What I don't like is how Toriyama's art changed from Dr. Slump/ early Dragonball to the latter parts of Dragonball part I and DBZ.
    50s/60s art is simple in a good way. There's something about it that's timeless and can still be enjoyed now. Although I love retro shoujo artwork, it will take me a while to get used to its shounen/seinen counterpart.

I haven't read any of Toriyama's work (*gasp*), but I can sense the change in his artstyle over his career. I also like the cartoon-y style of Dr. Slump the best.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bothered with DBZ, the evolution away from the cartoony, fun style of his early work and the change in tone to fighting manga that went with it.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reading the Wikipedia article for Vinland Saga, and they made a nice comparison of cover arts between when it was weekly and when it became monthly:
    Spoiler show

Bad image quality sadly, perhaps I'll add the full size covers later.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ArtieBoy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece Art Evolution
    Spoiler show

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece has had a drastic change in artwork.

Chapter 43 of One Piece. Look at how "childlike" Luffy and Nami (in my opinion) look. Now, look at Zoro and Nami on that page and Luffy on the next page; this is from chapter 503 by the way. See the change in art? Luffy and Nami look more mature. In my opinion Oda changed his artwork to show the characters maturing and getting older.

Now, after the timeskip (two years), lookie: Chapter 602. don't they look more mature, even if the change's not that significant?

Oda's artwork definitely has changed over the years, as has Kishimoto's (though Part I was the same, but Part II had different style of art and changed throughout the chapters).

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

While reading OP, I actually never noticed the change since it happened gradually. It's much more evident now that the Strawhats from the different arcs are placed side-to side. The inking becomes thicker and more defined towards the recent chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    I was reading the Wikipedia article for Vinland Saga, and they made a nice comparison of cover arts between when it was weekly and when it became monthly:
    Spoiler show

Bad image quality sadly, perhaps I'll add the full size covers later.
    The difference is very drastic, and I'm glad it switched went to monthly because it looks so much better. The details are amazing: the shadow from the cloak's folds, the hair, the background forest etc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hai_Priesty's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that major compared to OP but I put my vote on Kuroko no Basket.

This was the manga where I see not only change but DRASTIC improvement in drawing at the newcoming young sensei evolves in the same series in 2 short years.

The first chapters the drawing are not very good, and for simplicity style (or lack of good assistant & thus time) many features are omitted; like even the eyes are omitted at times (drawn on one side only), and lower legs shaded black.

And for a basketball manga..... it actually only introduces its Seirin teammate cast (of 6!) in chapter 8...... The fifth chapter into the first match! People deduced that the sensei much prefers to get story going and always forget about adding details back then.

The arts picked up quickly and by chapter 25 it's quite reasonable even at high bar or true sports manga.

And I remember I first heard 2ch-ers comparing its art to have become a little like Slam Dunk, around chapter 67-70.

Pictures I wish to provide later... ^_^;

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast