Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Art Evolution

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Art Evolution

I think this occurs in all manga - the art just gets better as the mangaka gets used to drawing the characters, gets into the groove of things, gets experience. I mean we're talking about years here, it's only natural that the art will improve, and could look like an entirely different person was drawing them.

I'm always impressed when I compare Bleach's old artwork to its current artwork. It's a big improvement, and I really like the style with which Kubo draws his characters now. His proportion is a lot better now, for one. Improvements can definitely also be seen in Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, One Piece, Naruto... And why am I naming only Jump series I obviously need to read more

Like mentioned before, another big evolution (or should I say evolutionS) would be the art from D.Gray-Man. It's like when Hoshino came back from an injury, she'd have a new art style Personally, I love the art from the ArK Arc the best. Her current one is not too bad either, but somehow it makes certain characters look similar to each other, which imo is a bad thing.

Another interesting thing when it comes to manga art might be CLAMP's art style. For those who don't know that CLAMP is actually a group of people, they might be quite bewildered by the different evolving art styles that seem to pop up in their various manga. The style for say Kobato is very similar to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHolic (and might as well throw Code Geass into this as well, lol), with long slender limbs etc. On the other hand, X/1999 and Tokyo Babylon share the same artstyle (same world after all) which looks more realistic and less exaggerated. It always depends on which of the CLAMP group are mainly in charge of drawing the characters or backgrounds etc, and this typically changes from manga to manga depending on the mood etc of the manga they want to portray. I thought this was a pretty interesting way of doing things

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I think Obata-sensei was trying to transition out of the realistic art style of Death Note. (I don't count Ral Grad.) Despite the fact that Bakuman has a completely different story and theme, people will still try to compare it to DN because the author is also the same. By changing the art, the readers will read it as a separate manga.

If you look at this colour page he made for the Bakuman compilation book, he still has the ability to switch back between art styles. I consider the change in Bakuman a unique case of Art Evolution.
    Pardon me for quoting such an old post But just wanted to point out that Obata-sensei is able to modify his art style quite well - look at Otter #11 one-shot, it has an entirely different art style from the main Bakuman

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    I think this occurs in all manga - the art just gets better as the mangaka gets used to drawing the characters, gets into the groove of things, gets experience. I mean we're talking about years here, it's only natural that the art will improve, and could look like an entirely different person was drawing them.
    Sometimes it's also a deliberate change (such as if the artist wants to experiment with something), but it's definitely a "practice makes perfect improvement" situation. That's why I don't think it's fair to judge the art of a new series right away because the style will change after a period of time.

Quote Quote:
    Pardon me for quoting such an old post But just wanted to point out that Obata-sensei is able to modify his art style quite well - look at Otter #11 one-shot, it has an entirely different art style from the main Bakuman
    I was pleasantly surprised when I read the one-shot. I couldn't believe Obata could change his style so drastically but he did! It's as if he's acting in a way because he needs to be in-character while drawing Hiramaru's manga. He can't let his personal touch slip.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In all? I don't think so. Ok, my examples aren't that long yet, but the latest manga I've read didn't display a change over time:

-Historie (a little over 60 chapters) looks still like it did in the beginning. It sometimes switches between two styles of backgrounds (one very clear one, and one kind which almost looks like Freesia) , but it switches back and forth so it's no developement (I think Kaiten mentioned that this is what it looks like before it's released in volumes, so it simply would be unfinished then.)
    -Kokou no Hito (112 chapters) remained absolutely constant imo, which is pretty impressive to me because it resembles Vagabond both in style and quality.
    -Wolf Guy (something between 80 and 90 chapters) also didn't change I think. Also with a great quality right off the bat.

Perhaps the reasons here are that Historie has a very simple style especially for the faces, while Kokou no Hito and Wolf Guy both are not made by a single person, but have one/two author(s) and an artist who can focus just on that.
    Maybe the lack of evolution even compared to the beginning means that the artists had more time to prepare for the project than others usually have, so they could already decide on a style before even starting.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 09, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Iwaaki, the mangaka of Historie, has been a serialized artist since the mid-80's. His art has evolved over the years but he has been around so long it's not always evident from one series. If you go back to an older series like Fuuko no Iru Mise it becomes more evident that his art has changed over the years.

Adachi is like that. Cross Game has a very unified art style, his style doesn't evolve much over serialization. He is famous for recycling character designs (Hiro in H2 is the same as Kou in Cross Game). But as you start looking at his older series you can see sometimes drastic changes to his art style.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 09, 2011 at 12:41 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    In all? I don't think so. Ok, my examples aren't that long yet, but the latest manga I've read didn't display a change over time:

-Historie (a little over 60 chapters) looks still like it did in the beginning. It sometimes switches between two styles of backgrounds (one very clear one, and one kind which almost looks like Freesia) , but it switches back and forth so it's no developement (I think Kaiten mentioned that this is what it looks like before it's released in volumes, so it simply would be unfinished then.)
    -Kokou no Hito (112 chapters) remained absolutely constant imo, which is pretty impressive to me because it resembles Vagabond both in style and quality.
    -Wolf Guy (something between 80 and 90 chapters) also didn't change I think. Also with a great quality right off the bat.

Perhaps the reasons here are that Historie has a very simple style especially for the faces, while Kokou no Hito and Wolf Guy both are not made by a single person, but have one/two author(s) and an artist who can focus just on that.
    Maybe the lack of evolution even compared to the beginning means that the artists had more time to prepare for the project than others usually have, so they could already decide on a style before even starting.
    Yeah, it was a hasty generalization on my part Not "all", but "most".

But still, I would think for most mangaka, especially ones who are just starting out, they would go through many stages of improvements to their art along the way. If they're already good (from what you say, it sounds like Wolf Guy and Kokou no Hito would fall in this category), then there's not as much room for improvement than someone who still can't quite get basic proportions right

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii
    Sometimes it's also a deliberate change (such as if the artist wants to experiment with something), but it's definitely a "practice makes perfect improvement" situation. That's why I don't think it's fair to judge the art of a new series right away because the style will change after a period of time.
    Very true. Like for Hoshino Katsura, I'm pretty sure hers were experimental art changes and not exactly "improvements" per se. Especially since I personally think her older art style was "better".

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Takahashi Rumiko's art style generally does not change much for decades. When I first find out about her mangas i felt disappointed because i find it simple. Soon i forget all about it because she is a good storyteller.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She hasn't much at all, has she, even going back as far as Urusei Yatsura. She's just like Adachi, she loves recycling character design. Subtle as it is his style changes with the times a little bit more than hers.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a bit of a difference between the early chapters of Inuyasha to the latest one (that I read). However, those changes were REALLY subtle so it doesn't make much of a difference. What is my point.

Very true. Like for Hoshino Katsura, I'm pretty sure hers were experimental art changes and not exactly "improvements" per se. Especially since I personally think her older art style was "better".
    You're not alone! I don't mind her style right now, but my preference is the earlier volumes. Perhaps switching to monthly also changed how she draws.
    Last edited by Asarii; February 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuichi Kumakura has a very drastic change. In this case, he becomes 29580394 times better. Compare his art in here and here.
    He basically goes from below average to above average. *A*

Inoue Takehiko is amazing as well. His art in the first volume of Slam Dunk is already above average (but not special). His art in REAL and Vagabond is breathtaking. *A*

Regarding Clamp... i am amazed that X, Clover, Cardcaptor Sakura, Angelic Layer, xxxholic and Kobato is actually drawn by Mokona Apapa. Such a versatile artist. I respects her because of that.

and if you want to observe Aoyama Gosho's artistic development from the beginning of his career to today... the easiest way is to read 4 volumes of Magic Kaito.
    There are decades gap between the first volume and the fourth volume, literally.
    Last edited by R4n; February 12, 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's shift the attention to manhwa's this time

Most people probably know about Noblesse and Tower of God but I think it's fascinating to see how both changed over time.

Comparing Rai now and then:

Spoiler: Noblesse show

Comparing the first chapter and the redrawing around 70 chapter later:

Spoiler: Tower of God show

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

There was actually so many more "Rais" inbetween the two... Although in Noblesse's case, the art improved improved improved until it was amazing....and then started degrading, even in ways I wouldn't say could degrade. Character's faces have gotten more disproportional

Allthough not very popular opinion, I like current DGM art probably the best

ex oriente lux

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparing the beging of Raiku Makoto's Gash Bell and his later chapters and work in Animal land theres a HUGE difference

I also think Beelzebub's artstyle, while it dosn't have that delinqent like feel to it all the time anymore looks more stable and like Ryuhei found a artstyle he can work with.

I'm never sure if Togash did any art "development" or if he always had the talent but just dosn't put it forth all the time...yeah its probably that.

A series I'm sure no one here will bring up is sgt. frog. Keroro looks totally different than his first appearance in chapter 1

*I'll find picks later*
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Arashi's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy3331 View Post

I'm never sure if Togash did any art "development" or if he always had the talent but just dosn't put it forth all the time...yeah its probably that.

A series I'm sure no one here will bring up is sgt. frog. Keroro looks totally different than his first appearance in chapter 1

*I'll find picks later*
    Oh yesh, that Togashi bastard sure and slowly but he has improve his art with a lot of forms to enrich any moment, having old and new styles both at same time.

Chapter 2

Chapter 81

Chapter 165

Chapter 302

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought the art evolution in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was really cool, just because of how radically it tends to change from part to part.

If you look at some of Araki's recent drawings of Jonathan and Joseph they're practically unrecognizable now.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the latest Kuroshitsuji chapter the other day and then I checked out the data book.

Interestingly enough, Sebastian has gone through a bit of art evolution: in the images compiled in the data book, he appears fairly feminine with long eyelashes and delicate features whereas in recent times he's beginning to appear more masculine. Thankfully I prefer the current Sebastian more.

Before

After

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3