Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasures

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Guilty Pleasures

We all have them. Whether it's gorging on chocolate at midnight or watching fake reality shows, we have interests that we generally prefer to keep hidden. Same goes for manga.

Mangahelpers, do you have a series you read that you're embarrassed to reveal in public? Are you known for reading violent action series but have a soft spot for shoujo?

Let go of your inhibitions and tell us your guilty pleasures. You can even put your answers around spoiler tags if it's that embarrassing.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Love Celeb (kinda) and Sensual Phrase are or were my guilty pleasures. Now it's Hapi Mari (although it's good IMO) and some other shoujo/josei I forgot that I started reading due to supposed smut.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is embarassing it won't be mentioned.

Mine is smut, mainly josei series and one shots.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ We're all just a username here so I put "embarrassing" as in you won't want RL people to know.

My guilty pleasure was being obsessed with Yu-Gi-Oh. Obsessed. I even got myself the awesome Marik deck (that's collecting dust right now) despite not being able to play well. I didn't even care about watching the dubs because I loved it that much.

It was kept a secret from my friends because liking the series would automatically make you a nerd. At least to my elementary school anyway.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to read every new series in Jump, even the bad ones like Le Visiteur and Asklepios. I knew what I was doing was wrong, I couldn't help myself. It was the best way to discover new series at the time though.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this counts, but I enjoy Hetalia Axis Powers even if it does have yaoi overtones. I like the more innocent humour in it though, the yaoi bits kind of disturb me.

I also got pretty interested in Yu-Gi-Oh! after watching the abridged series on youtube. I never got into it when it was popular though, despite a lot of people playing the card game at school.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any interesting guilty pleasures apart from the typical watching anime instead of doing homework habit. It's certainly a pleasure, but it happens so often that the guilt has worn off. Besides, when it's homework versus anime, it's not even a contest.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Not sure if this counts, but I enjoy Hetalia Axis Powers even if it does have yaoi overtones. I like the more innocent humour in it though, the yaoi bits kind of disturb me.
    Don't worry. My mom reads it, and she's ordering the third installment. (I don't think she notices the yaoi overtones. Ah, bless her.)

Despite the fanservice-y bits, it is a pleasant read. I'm a history nerd so the events and the relations between countries is quite interesting though not completely accurate.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

this is not about me, but i had a male friend in high school who like to read yaoi mangas. He even drew a guy x guy kissing once (lol)
    Of course, he kept it secret from the rest of the class. xDDD

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy manga and not even read it because of weird habits/rituals. For example I keep buying Detroit Metal City and I only started volume 2 the other day. I can't read volume 4 unless I have volume 5 purchased. That way if I finish volume 4 I could continue reading, but if I don't have it in my possession I will freak out. Basically I'm trying to say I won't start reading a manga unless I buy the 2nd volume, then I will start the first.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs: Bullets and Carnage. It's pretty shallow action manga without much in the way of plot development. But it's a lot of fun. The The art is really cool, the characters are memorable. So what if the average Jump series has as much content

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Dogs: Bullets and Carnage. It's pretty shallow action manga without much in the way of plot development. But it's a lot of fun. The The art is really cool, the characters are memorable. So what if the average Jump series has as much content
    I remember liking the artwork so I read the first few chapters a while ago. If it's good for a mindless read I wouldn't mind picking it up again. Once again I loved its artwork.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol. It's a fun series, really fast paced and intense. Problem is the plot moves really slow, after 57 chapters none of the major mysteries have been fully explained. It's as if the series is still in the prologue. I still can't help reading and enjoying it. My last post was definitely to harsh. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good action-seinen, Black Lagoon fans would definitely like it. The art is awesome, some of the best of any manga.

Yes I admit I buy the volumes and added a Heine x Naoto sig. Guilty pleasure, remember
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 23, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Lovers is my guilty pleasure atm. I don't normally read BL, but this manga was featured on the front page news a while back so I gave it a shot- I surprisingly liked it. What I like about it is that the younger lead is quite assertive and acts more mature than the older guy. The artwork is also pleasing to look at.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I used to read every new series in Jump, even the bad ones like Le Visiteur and Asklepios. I knew what I was doing was wrong, I couldn't help myself. It was the best way to discover new series at the time though.
    This, plus i actually went a step further and actually purchased the series'. I purchased every series in Jump that started in 2010-09-08, i didn't even like them, i just liked collecting Shounen Jump series. I even purchased Wajimania *cries* how i wish i had the money now to purchase Eyeshield 21 or Rookies.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast