Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

Episodes: 26
    Aired: Jul 05, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Toei Animation, Starchild Records, Viz MediaL
    Genres: Demons, Magic, Romance, Shoujo

Synopsis
    New Sailor Moon anime commemorating the 20th anniversary of Sailor Moon.

Usagi Tsukino is a second-year middle school girl who is a little clumsy and a crybaby, but she is full of energy. One day, she meets Luna, a black cat with a crescent moon on her forehead, and she transforms into Sailor Moon, a sailor-uniformed pretty guardian of love and justice! As a chosen guardian of justice, Usagi seems to have a mission to find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other guardians and to protect the princess.

Meanwhile, the queen of the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl, also sends minions to the town where Usagi lives to obtain the Illusionary Silver Crystal, which has immense power. This causes strange events to unfold...

Can Sailor Moon really find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other Sailor guardians, and protect the princess...?!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

Good first episode, nothing bad to say about this.

Usagi is funny and it gave the impression we don't know will be properly explained later, events moved quickly but were interesting to follow.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I'm in 100% fanboy/retro mode right now... Moon Prism Power... Make Up!
    Pretty solid first episode. Usagi is as clumsy and funny as ever and looks like she will getter her comrades rather fast.
    I didn't read the Manga so I wanna know where this is going.

PS: On which planet are those girls 14...?
    Spoiler show

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    Spoiler show
    I'm honestly not sure about that, haha. In my memory there are too many Sailor Moon manga, I can't exactly tell which one is the original and which one is made from the anime. As far as I remember, though...
    Spoiler show

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked this first episode and the nostalgia was strong in this one.
    Usagi is as funny as I remember her to be and her very first fight was...entertaining. XD
    Looking forward to the next episode.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Get work, Revo! I'm not a fan of idol groups, but I did like the opening theme song with Momoiro Clover Z.

First of all, I'm impressed that Kotono can maintain her Usagi voice after all these years. I watched an old Sailor Moon movie, and she sounded the same there as she did in this pilot episode. I have to admit that I still have nostalgia goggles on so I'm a little anxious about how the new seiyuu will interpret the other senshi. The new Mamoru didn't weird me out -I actually find him more attractive here! - so hopefully the others will be fine.

I wasn't too thrilled with the character design when it was first released, but I find it much better in motion; having the character design be influenced by Takeuchi-sensei's art style wasn't a bad idea after all. Apparently there were some nods toward Revolutionary Girl Utena throughout the episode such as the flower borders when characters were introduced and the title cuts.

It's too bad that we have to wait two weeks until the next episode though. It's going to be a long wait...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode wasn't as good as expected. I know this one will be more serious, but the originals more comedic approach did help the series, maybe I'm too much of the german dub. Liked the drawn backgrounds, they seem to be actively using red for borders now, which is weird at times, but it worked for No Game No Life, which in turn had a totally different art style/approach to colors than this series.

I didn't like the transformation, the constant in and outzooming... :/ OG wins again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTU4K8uSmJU

Sailor Saturn did first appear in chapter 33 if I can believe the smwiki and had a less childish appearance.
    Spoiler show

It fits so perfectly.
    Last edited by Schabrak; July 09, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is it! Oooh, that nostalgic feeling. I was happy that I felt annoyed by stupid Usagi, strange Mamoru and his tuxedo, the voices, the spell/move name, the design, the soundtrack... I feel like a child again! LOL~ I heard people complaining about the transformation scene, I enjoyed it just fine. I'm also happy to see the plot moving on fast to gathering the team members; let those be done and move with the plot ASAP. With only one episode aired every two weeks, this can be a painful wait to see the end, meh. XD

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope characterization of antagonists won't suffer because a lot of the original series was filler with those characters as I've heard.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Manta33's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge Sailor Moon fan but the manga is a bit of a mess. I will give high praise to the first two arcs. The future arc is much better in the manga, but the pace is incredible and you don't really get to know the characters. Still, I imagine that Naoka is coming back now because she has fresh ideas and I expect a lot of new turns and fleshing out of the original manga story line.
    Last edited by Manta33; July 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manta33 View Post
    I am a huge Sailor Moon fan but the manga is a bit of a mess. I will give high praise to the first two arcs. The future arc is much better in the manga, but the pace is incredible and you don't really get to know the characters. Still, I imagine that Naoka is coming back now because she has fresh ideas and I expect a lot of new turns and fleshing out of the original manga story line.
    As far as I know, this anime is intended to be a remake and will follow the manga as faithfully as possible. My memories of the manga is completely messed up, though, so I may assume what I see as "new turns", but additional content seems unlikely at this time. Not that I dislike S, SS, or R series of the previous anime. It's just... too dragged off, I guess. XD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Manta33's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    As far as I know, this anime is intended to be a remake and will follow the manga as faithfully as possible. My memories of the manga is completely messed up, though, so I may assume what I see as "new turns", but additional content seems unlikely at this time. Not that I dislike S, SS, or R series of the previous anime. It's just... too dragged off, I guess. XD
    I agree, there was way too much filler in the original. Being faithful to the manga means each arc would take 13 episodes to complete with the current pacing. So to tell the whole story would take 2.5 years (65 eps.) though currently only 26 episodes are scheduled. I think we will know very quickly whether or not this 26 episode initial run will encompass the future arc or not. If not the story is going to need to be supplemented with non manga material. I do expect a retelling that follows the style of the manga but I think Naoka may add new stuff to counter the reality that every character besides Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen are utterly extraneous. The difference will be that she has complete control this time over content. And now she is married to one of the most veteran and legendary mangakas in the industry, Togashi.

---------- Post added July 19, 2014 at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was July 11, 2014 at 08:16 AM ----------

Looks like I was wrong. I think they are going with the manga pacing exactly, and I am starting to like the lack of filler. Also after a second re watch with the brightness turned down a little and the color saturation way up I really started to like the animation. The illumination effects that are signature to SM started to pop and the images seemed crisp and less washed out with those settings.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Their usage of CG does really put me off, destroys any kind of illusion. :/ It's not really that much, but damn if it doesn't look contrary to the drawn stuff, especially the first couple seconds of the the OP.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the cellshading looks weird...Kinda forced. Makes me miss the old school transformation sequences.
    Usagi really has to improve though... I know she is supposed to be 14 or something but Luna could at least "train" her a little.

Episode itself was good. Was Ami always that cute?
    Anyway... Looks like Mars is next... The heroines sure are gattering quickly.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The animation of certain facial expressions was wonky this week, which is too bad since it's only the second episode. I was hoping that the bi-weekly format would allow more time for quality checks. Let's hope that this is just a fluke and that the art style will be more consistent.

Ami is my favourite Inner Senshi so it's great to see her this episode! She's cute. :3 I found it funny how technology was updated from the original such as having CDs instead of floppy disks and a laptop instead of a '90s computer monitor.

I'm surprised that we're going to meet Rei already, but I guess the pacing will go a lot quicker with the lack of fillers.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast