Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Some Lines from Capeta

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Lines from Capeta

So I need help with some lines from Capeta that I don't understand.

載せかえまでチャンとウチで面倒みるよって

Specifically, I don't understand the middle part about チャンとウチ. Please help!

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Lines from Capeta

Need more context (maybe explain what's happening on that page or post the page?)

My guess is something like "I told you to look after it properly in my house until it's reinstalled"

I think チャンと is just, ちゃんと which means "properly"/"well". If you think about it that way it becomes pretty simple. Except I'm not sure about 載せかえ without any context. I usually see it being used in the context of like, changing engines, but 載せる itself can mean so many things out of context...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, sorry. Capeta is a racing manga, here someone is explaining to the main character that her son used to use an old engine for his car. I hate it when they mix katakana and hiragana in a word that's supposed to be just hiragana.

If you could also just help with another line, where an old man is talking to a boy about the deal in racing.

なんでのせかえんのや

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate when old men speak with weird speech styles, heh. But my guess is "why won't you reinstall (the engine)?" (is reinstall even the right word for an engine?) with the のせかえん being short for のせかえない. Um, I don't know if it is correct, though, as it doesn't seem to fit into the context (unless I am interpreting the context wrongly)... If you could post the page or type out the lines before and after it that would be helpful.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A. Koba's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the standard Japanese is like below:
    載せかえるまで、ちゃんとウチで面倒を見ますから。

That means:
    I (or My company?) would properly take care of it (or the engine?) till its re-mounting.

ウチ means many things like I, my house, my side and my company.

Does this make sence?

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does ^^ Your English is great, by the way!

Although I'm not the one asking the question, I've benefited from your explanation as well. I did not think of the possibility of "uchi" referring to a company when I tried to explain earlier (and I clearly mixed up the subject the speaker was referring to ><)

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandaimehokage View Post
    載せかえまでチャンとウチで面倒みるよって
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Koba View Post
    I think the standard Japanese is like below:
    載せかえるまで、ちゃんとウチで面倒を見ますから。

That means:
    I (or My company?) would properly take care of it (or the engine?) till its re-mounting.

ウチ means many things like I, my house, my side and my company.

Does this make sence?
    Other interpretations are also possible depends on the context.

載せかえまで:
    * 載せかえまで; 載せかえが終わるまで till the re-mounting/installation job is done.
    or,
    * 載せかえも含めて including the re-mounting/installation job.

Without the context, my first impression of your sentence was actually the latter (assuming the object of 面倒を見る was a car):

My company will work on your car/ will take good care of your car including the re-mounting/re-installation job.

ウチ:
    This is not "I." If it were "I," the original Japanese word should be ウチ instead of ウチ.
    ウチで=当方で is probably ウチの会社で in this case. "ウチ(私)の会社=当社=my company"
    (ウチで also stands for "in my house.") 

* One problem that I had was that the original phrase did not sound polite enough to talk to a customer.

* If the object of 面倒を見る is a child for instance, then the translation could be: I'll take care of the child in my house till the re-installation job is done.
    Last edited by mikkih; December 04, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A. Koba's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, sorry for my rough translation.
    To complete perfect translation, of course we need the context.
    But I did not want to write it, because I wrote it so many times and the questioner probably understands, sorry.

I agree with mikkih-san’s explanation.

P. S.
    I guess “ウチで” might mean “I”, many people say “ウチで” as “I”, especially among young girls.
    But in this case, I don’t think it’s I.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A. Koba View Post
    P. S. I guess “ウチで” might mean “I”, many people say “ウチで” as “I”, especially among young girls. But in this case, I don’t think it’s I.
    I am going to elaborate A.Koba's P.S. comment about the usage of "ウチ" as the 一人称単数形の人称代名詞「私」 first person singular form of a personal pronoun "I,my,me" for those who are not familiar with the word.

In the standard Japanese, うち means house (maybe except for the usage of うちの in うちの会社 my company and うちの娘 my daughter).

うち however has always been used as the first person singular form in Kansai dialect, and it is interchangeable with 「私」.

Many think that TV has spread the Kansai dialect nationwide, and it is now a trend for younger females in Kanto/Tokyo area to use use うち the same way as A. Koba mentioned.

By the way, I was not commenting on the usage of ウチ as the first person singular in my previous post but rather was on the suffix .To translate it as ”I” instead of "My company", I just thought うちが sounded a bit more natural than うちで in this particular sentence, but it may be fine just as it is.

Also, 「よって」(which means から) in 面倒みるよって seems to be the Osaka dialect (part of the Kansai dialect), but personally I am more familiar with such phrases as 面倒みまっさかい、面倒みるさかい(Osaka) or 面倒みるし(Kyoto).
    In my previous post, I mentioned the phrase did not sound polite enough to talk to a customer.

Instead of "載せかえまでチャンとウチで面倒みるよって", "載せかえまでチャンとウチで面倒みさせてもらいますよって" would sound more normal when you talk to a customer. 
    Last edited by mikkih; December 05, 2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added the last part below .................

New Reply