Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Japanese Composers

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Composers

This isn't exactly relate to pop music per se, but I thought it would be nice to appreciate Japanese composers. There are a wide range of talented composers writing for all aspects of media: movies, classical, game and anime. Unfortunately they are relatively unknown compared to Western greats such as Hans Zimmer.

My favourite composer has to be Joe Hisaishi. As you may know already he's well-known for composing the soundtracks of Ghibli films. His songs are emotive: sometimes they're soft and relaxing, and other times they're haunting. There's a "Hisaishi" touch on all his scores that I love.

Summer (from Kikujiro no Natsu)

Princess Mononoke Theme

Asia Dream Song

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Composers

I love those songs too, Asa Hisashi's a great composer indeed.

As a Final Fantasy fan, I must say I love Uematsu Nobuo! My favourite of his is "To Zanarkand" from FFX. I think the soundtrack is always a big thing about FF games. Uematsu is very skilled in composing music that fits the beautifully rendered scenery in the game, and draws out the emotion of that part of the game's storyline. I think I actually cried listening to this song (To Zanarkand) while playing the game... ^^;;

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Uematsu Nobuo, his pieces are really popular and somehow you really feel the story's mood in FF games through his music.

Two songs that I like best from him are memory of lightwaves and breezy.

Toshio Masuda's composition for Naruto are really cool for anime songs.
    Two of my favorites are the Raising Fighting Spirit and Strong & Strike. Japanese drums are pretty distinct on the beat of those two music which I love best.

For some contemporary ones, my favorite composers/musicians are Yuhki Kuramoto and Norihiro Tsuru. The following are my favorites from them... (although almost all of their pieces are really good for me)

Romance - Yuhki Kuramoto (piano version)

Nostalgia - Yuhki Kuramoto

Piano Jewel - Yuhki Kuramoto

Last Carnival - Norihiro Tsuru

Moonlit Dancer - Norihiro Tsuru

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Wada Kaoru is another composer I like who has created the OSTs for many popular anime series. The most notable songs he has composed come from Inuyasha:

Sad Song
    To the End of Feelings
    Half-Demon Inuyasha ← Personal favorite.
    Evil, Demon Naraku

#feelingnostalgic

As a bonus, here's Road's theme song. I imagine a carnival with bloodthirsty clowns. Eek!

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking about composers, I think everyone knows about Kajiura Yuki, the composer behind some popular series. She is mostly known for her works for games (Xenosaga II, Xenosaga III, Blood) and anime (.Hack, Mai-Otome, Pandora Hearts, Tsubasa Chronicle, Puella Magi Madoka Magica). Sometimes she would rearrange some of her songs, giving an entirely new atmosphere. The basic arrangements are awesome and touch you with deep feelings. That's why I like her. <3 She would sometimes compose independently, make groups (Kalafina and FictionJunction), and make concerts as well.

[Tsubasa Chronicle] Kajiura Yuki - believe

[Tsubasa Chronicle] Kajiura Yuki - rainbow

[Pandora Hearts] Kajiura Yuki - will

[.Hack] Kajiura Yuki - Grandfather's Violin

New Reply