Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: "金ゾル" anybody?

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

"金ゾル" anybody?

Hello there!

I stumbled across a sentence I can't seem to put together mainly because of the subject in that sentence:

金ゾルが偉そうに…

Context:
    The person who thinks this line is leaving the room in which he is currently having a meeting with his sponsor. (So my first guess was it's some pejorative way of referring to his financier?)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mr. Prince; November 27, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "金ゾル" anybody?

Googling the term produces a bunch of hits, but they all seem to be technical. It looks like 金ゾル translates to "gold sol" aka "colloidal gold". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_gold

I think that either the speaker just used a random word related to gold that popped into his mind, or maybe it rhymes with some other expression that he didn't use for some reason. Or there's a typo here somewhere...

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, of course I also tried to figure out this term by myself and I stumbled across all those hits but... it just doesn't make much sense here, eh?

I definitely got the term right, no typos here:

And I don't think the character would just randomly say things... he's a calculating, cold-blooded bastard (main antagonist of the arc) and he's really pissed during that moment but has to play it nice in front of his sponsor.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... doesn't look like you're misreading it, but the best idea that I can think of is that he's calling the guy a 金ヅル, which makes a hell of a lot more sense. It's a standard derogatory term for a sponsor, pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
    Did your scanner or cleaner accidentally wipe out on of the dots in ツ?
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, flunko

I guess that's it... I have no idea if and how the Raws are edited, they're from IRC. But it's shitty recycled toilet paper JUMP, so things like that can happen, I guess.

Great help!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A. Koba's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's 金ヅル (カネヅル), source of money.
    Literal meaning of ツル (=ヅル) is “bine (plant)”.

New Reply