Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: "金ゾル" anybody?

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

"金ゾル" anybody?

Hello there!

I stumbled across a sentence I can't seem to put together mainly because of the subject in that sentence:

金ゾルが偉そうに…

Context:
    The person who thinks this line is leaving the room in which he is currently having a meeting with his sponsor. (So my first guess was it's some pejorative way of referring to his financier?)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mr. Prince; November 27, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "金ゾル" anybody?

Googling the term produces a bunch of hits, but they all seem to be technical. It looks like 金ゾル translates to "gold sol" aka "colloidal gold". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_gold

I think that either the speaker just used a random word related to gold that popped into his mind, or maybe it rhymes with some other expression that he didn't use for some reason. Or there's a typo here somewhere...

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, of course I also tried to figure out this term by myself and I stumbled across all those hits but... it just doesn't make much sense here, eh?

I definitely got the term right, no typos here:

And I don't think the character would just randomly say things... he's a calculating, cold-blooded bastard (main antagonist of the arc) and he's really pissed during that moment but has to play it nice in front of his sponsor.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... doesn't look like you're misreading it, but the best idea that I can think of is that he's calling the guy a 金ヅル, which makes a hell of a lot more sense. It's a standard derogatory term for a sponsor, pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
    Did your scanner or cleaner accidentally wipe out on of the dots in ツ?
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, flunko

I guess that's it... I have no idea if and how the Raws are edited, they're from IRC. But it's shitty recycled toilet paper JUMP, so things like that can happen, I guess.

Great help!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A. Koba's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's 金ヅル (カネヅル), source of money.
    Literal meaning of ツル (=ヅル) is “bine (plant)”.

New Reply