Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 269

Thread: The Manga-Anime-Asian Drama Confessional Thread

  1. #61
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    27,424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    I think what he is saying is that Oda's art style, a mix of Hanna Barbara and Dr. Slump, fits the story so well that it would be hard to imagine another artist doing it as well. It's not that Inoue wouldn't know how to draw OP but if he did he would not necessarily improve on what Oda does. I'm going to stop because this is turning into the One Piece fan vs. non OP fan thread and that is very dreary, very off topic, and ruining a great thread

    I confess that I barely read mainstream manga anymore. Everything I read is either old or from an alternative anthology like Comic Beam, IKKI, or Manga Erotics. Everyone calls my taste weird but I love unique manga that break stereotypes.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 01, 2011 at 01:29 PM.

  2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #62
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    @ The Other Guys Who Are Nagging My Little Bro Googlez...he has got every right to say kishi is lazy. And we should all have the right to bash mangakas, mangas, characters, everything. Down with political correctness. Only time i would advocate for all this respecting others shit is when it really matters/counts. I always thought that those who try to appear 'fair' at all times are usually the ones with the real issues. BTW i personally like the overall naruto part 2 style. It trumps the old style in clarity. The lines are so much more well defined, and the overall simplistic appearance is a huge plus. Only thing i miss is the shades from part1...but recently kishi is using it again . And you can see how great it becomes when you just add that little trick with the current style.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    @kaiten confess a bit more...give us the names of the weird mangas that you read...P.S. I was more fanboying about inoue than bashing/criticizing op/oda, so no need to take it as a OP vs non OP.
    Last edited by ashher; January 01, 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #63
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I confess that I barely read mainstream manga anymore. Everything I read is either old or from an alternative anthology like Comic Beam, IKKI, or Manga Erotics. Everyone calls my taste weird but I love unique manga that break stereotypes.
    I'm curious to hear what kind of stereotypes you're not fond of. Don't worry, it's the confessional thread so anything goes!

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Nevertheless I never understand why someone wouldn't try a manga because of the art. Sure it's important but I think it's the story which makes a manga. For example I never really liked the art in FMA but the story is just epic, you have to love it.

    As for Shiki, I thought the anime do has a creepy atmosphere and did a great job delivering that. Do you watch it?
    As long as the art fits the story, I'm all good. I'm not a huge fan of art in Western comic books for example, but the stories make up for it. Most of the information comes from the dialogue anyway.

    Sadly I haven't. Although I don't like judging things before trying, I admit I tend to do it myself. That's my other confession I'll talk about in a little bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    I don't get it either.If i learned one thing in Bakuman,it is that the art has to fit the plot and the characters.And the art in OP is the best you can use for that kind of story.It fits perfectly.Imagine Inoue(Slam Dunk,Vagabond,REAL) drawing OP.That would be a disaster.
    It would be indeed be really weird if OP had a more "realistic" art style. The fun, adventurous atmosphere just wouldn't be the same.

    Also no worries about how you feel about the current state of the mangaka's art. You stated your reasons well, and I apologize for thinking you were being overly harsh.

    My other confession is that I judge a work before trying even though that's also one of my pet peeves. LOL I had doubts about Naruto, Sket Dance (!) and many others before reading but then I end up loving them all. Now I'm neutral towards everything.

  6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #64
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    In Naruto's case it's a bit different.It was wrong to state that Kishimoto is lazy(even though he stated so himself),but i get the feeling that he is lazy.After seeing double-spreads like this and the fresh,varied and dynamic art of part 1,the current art style seems half-assed,or more like lazy.Don't get me wrong,i still love the art in Naruto,especially when i see pages like this,but it could be sooo much better.
    I nearly agree about everything,but Bakuman.The art in the beginning was great.It was fitting the rather serious tone of the manga and the manga they were drawing.So the drawings were rather realistic (DN-style).Then,Ashirogi Muto made a gag-manga,thus the art style changed into a more light-hearted and silly one.So when the gag-manga ended,i expected another art change,but it stayed the same,more like,it became rather weird.It does not look like Obata at all,and i don't mean it in a good way.On 2ch they are even speculating that Obata quit drawing the manga and that Ohba is drawing it now.And judging by the storyboards they show in each volume,it seems to be true.
    Well I do agree but I can't imagine that Kishi is too lazy to give it his all. I think he does take his work serious, but that's just my personal feeling. Nevertheless thanks for clearing, I do understand your point now googlez Could you be a bit more specific regarding the storyboards? I cannot believe that Ohba is doing everything on his own now

    Quote Originally Posted by Asarii
    Sadly I haven't. Although I don't like judging things before trying, I admit I tend to do it myself. That's my other confession I'll talk about in a little bit.
    My other confession is that I judge a work before trying even though that's also one of my pet peeves. LOL I had doubts about Naruto, Sket Dance (!) and many others before reading but then I end up loving them all. Now I'm neutral towards everything.
    That's good to hear but I think it's nearly impossible to be neutral. As you said, there are always thinks you are sceptical about and in a way, it's sometimes even better to be positively surprised but who am I talking to, you love every forum member equally, so you should be able to be neutral with mangas

    Give the shiki anime a try, I'm sure you will like it!

  8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #65
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Café Alpha
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Usually,i don't judge a manga by its art.I don't mind if its art is plain or amazing(well,i still love manga with amazing art) as long as i like the story.
    But i have to confess that there is one manga i actually stopped reading because of the art and that would be Ao no Ekusoshisuto.Some of you are probably surprised,but the style of this manga just pains my heart.When i look at it,it's as if someone would stab my eyes.It's terrible.I can't help it.

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Well I do agree but I can't imagine that Kishi is too lazy to give it his all. I think he does take his work serious, but that's just my personal feeling. Nevertheless thanks for clearing, I do understand your point now googlez Could you be a bit more specific regarding the storyboards? I cannot believe that Ohba is doing everything on his own now
    Well,he's not that lazy,i mean,i still like his art.I only feel that he could actually do more.As ashher mentioned above,one example would be the shades.Whatever

    About the storyboards,in every volume after every chapter they show storyboards.First they show Ohba's storyboard for two pages,which is similiar to the ones Takagi used to do(very simple drawings with the text).Then they show Obata's storyboard of those two pages,which are similiar to Saiko's (obviously).They are very detailed and look nearly like the finished product(which is also shown at the bottom).
    Here is one from the first chapter:
    Spoiler show

    And here is one from volume 9(don't know what chapter exactly):
    Spoiler show

    See for yourself,the difference is huge.I don't know if Ohba is actually drawing the manga now,but it seems like a different artist and not Obata.The style is totally different,it's nothing like him anymore.At least in my eyes.

  10. #66
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Once again I just noticed that I seem to have to see the protagonist getting crushed by weakness and depression before I can start liking a manga.
    There are quite some manga out there where a protagonist appears super strong in the beginning, and then becomes rattled by weaknesses and anxiety at some point (for some reason that often happens between chapter 30 and 40 in Seinen ). And that's the point where I really start liking the story.

    Ok, it's not necessarily that way. Some are just likeable right off the bat or too cool to dislike them (category 1: Nonomiya of Nononono. category 2: Gatsu of Berserk). But many seem just too boring when they're on top of everything and first have to crush down
    But for more cases than not, that rule applies for me.

    Perhaps, that's the reason why I turned to Seinen and why I specifically disliked OP and Bleach. OP/Bleach follow exactly that pattern I mentioned, with a ridiculously strong protagonist at the beginning, who first have to learn what it means to lose. However, Bleach got lost in endless, meaningless fights. And OP is just too naive to display a real, serious crisis for a person like Luffy.
    Maybe that's the reason why I was attracted by Naruto in the first place (apart from it beeing the first anime I had seen in a long long time), as Naruto follows a different path. A dropout full of weaknesses climbing up the ladder... and now it became boring to me, as there are too few weaknesses left in most characters
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; January 03, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

  11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  12. #67
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Actually One Piece did have it, but in chapter 589 instead of chapter 30 :-)
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Asarii; January 04, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: fixed image tag :)

  13. #68
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    33,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Did I mention I'm a sucker for good/great romance, especially where the female lead is shy and/or innocent, as well as funny? It's mainly why I like Hapi Mari and liked Love Celeb, as well as Ren-Ai Shoujo or something (Blai'd remember the name).
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

  14. #69
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    I confess. I just started watching the new Pokemon season.


    I never thought I'll like it, but now I love it. I actually love the Pokemon anime, and really enjoying it.
    Now I'm saving for 3ds just for the sake of playing black and white.
    I love animes like Pokemon, makes me sit back and go back to being a kid.

  15. #70
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Really!!?? sounds nice for you, but I'd still want want a Pokemon special anime.

  16. #71
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    Really!!?? sounds nice for you, but I'd still want want a Pokemon special anime.
    Pokemon Special? You meant the manga Pokemon Adventures, the awesome pokemon manga.
    If you're talking about that, I've visualize it becoming an anime along time now..but unfortunately it will never happen

  17. #72
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morioh Town
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    I heard that Pokémon Best Wishes is pretty good actually. In fact, I might just watch it !

  18. #73
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I heard that Pokémon Best Wishes is pretty good actually. In fact, I might just watch it !
    It's good, and it's a pretty nice series for you to just sit back forget about the world and enjoying watching!

    Spoiler show

  19. #74
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Usually,i don't judge a manga by its art.I don't mind if its art is plain or amazing(well,i still love manga with amazing art) as long as i like the story.
    But i have to confess that there is one manga i actually stopped reading because of the art and that would be Ao no Ekusoshisuto.Some of you are probably surprised,but the style of this manga just pains my heart.When i look at it,it's as if someone would stab my eyes.It's terrible.I can't help it.

    Well,he's not that lazy,i mean,i still like his art.I only feel that he could actually do more.As ashher mentioned above,one example would be the shades.Whatever

    About the storyboards,in every volume after every chapter they show storyboards.First they show Ohba's storyboard for two pages,which is similiar to the ones Takagi used to do(very simple drawings with the text).Then they show Obata's storyboard of those two pages,which are similiar to Saiko's (obviously).They are very detailed and look nearly like the finished product(which is also shown at the bottom).
    Here is one from the first chapter:
    Spoiler show

    And here is one from volume 9(don't know what chapter exactly):
    Spoiler show

    See for yourself,the difference is huge.I don't know if Ohba is actually drawing the manga now,but it seems like a different artist and not Obata.The style is totally different,it's nothing like him anymore.At least in my eyes.
    You dislike the Art in Ao no Exorcist? That's quite surprising as I think the art is good and enjoyable. What do you dislike about the art?

    As for Kishimoto, it's all speculation, maybe he wants the art to be as it is now but you could be right. Nevertheless I think he does a good a job, there's always room to improve.

    Thanks for clarification regarding Bakuman, I haven't seen the storyboards so far. Still I can't imagine another artist or Ohba himself is doing the drawings now. I couldn't even imagine a reason why they should have switched the artist. As for me, I think the art is still good even though it has changed a lot. You have quite a high standard if you think that the drawings in Bakuman are "bad"

  20. #75
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Country
    Micronesia
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Manga-Anime Confessional Thread

    whether the art of a manga is 'bad' or 'good' partly depends on taste. This kind of talk usually goes nowhere. =___=;;

    For example: I love 70s mangas but a lot of people are saying 'the art is bad' only because they are not used to the style. In this kind of situation, I would rather say 'the art does not suit my taste' instead of 'bad art', because i feel that the latter can be rather insulting and overgeneralizing.

    I would say the art is 'bad' when it does not communicate effectively (ie. confusing paneling, unclear composition, breaking the 180 degree rules, breaking the flow, etc)

    Regarding Bakuman's 'bad art', it actually looks so much better on paper than on screen, so yeah...
    And i will NOT say Bakuman's art is 'bad', because it actually tells the story effectively. Yes it is simple, yes i can see why people are disappointed because Obata's art in Deathnote is more detailed, but definitely the art is not 'bad'.
    Last edited by R4n; January 08, 2011 at 02:40 PM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts