Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Manga-Anime-Asian Drama Confessional Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member liductan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Manga-Anime-Asian Drama Confessional Thread

I confess I started reading fairy tail at first because of fan service.
    I have a black-belt in sarcasm, a degree in smartass and experienced in Bitch. Yep, I am damn ninja..

---you have been warned..

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I confess that I have mixed feelings about how “Gu Family Book” ended. On the one hand, I liked the ending because it had some very beautiful and touching moments; but on the other hand, I didn’t like it because it was
    Spoiler show

I confess that I really, really hope that there is a second season of “Gu Family Book”.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I confess I really hate shipping wars and the concept of "winning" because of it. It completely ostracizes fandom and I find it demeaning to female characters in general. Its one thing if its a harem, the whole point of the manga/anime would be which girl will the protagonist fall for. But if its not even a romance manga its ridiculous.

Its ridiculous because then you think the greatest accomplishment a female character should have is getting together with hero. Or her role is so important the hero should fall for her. I understand that female characters have a high tendency of getting romantic plotlines anyway, but her getting or not getting together with the hero shouldn't be the foundation for why you read/watch something. Unless its, you know, an actual romance franchise.

I know this sounds patronizing, but I just had to get it off my chest.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^Bit of a reply to the above, I confess that I absolutely despise the Big 3 shipping in Naruto. Kishi can't even write decent teenaged girls. It's absolutely ridiculous. And with how he pretty much spits on his own heroine speaks volumes.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean nearly every single female characters in Naruto not being able to stand up to the male characters. But it's no news, Kishimoto can't write strong female characters aside from enabling them to punch through walls. :P

Mei: neither during her Sasuke or Madara fight was allowed to shine.
    Hinata: died for Naruto, "confessed" her love, spit on like one chapter after holding hands with Naruto.
    Tsunade: stab, stab, stab, nothing to worry about, she will just heal afterwards
    Sakura: Yeah I'm also Team 7, but the weakest link with no role aside from healing. She should be happy to have gotten a big panel with her hitting the ground.

I'm thankful that romance isn't allowed on the Thousand Sunny.
    Last edited by Schabrak; July 06, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xadyu's Avatar
    Country
    Papua New Guinea
    Post Thanks / Like

I confess that for some reason this is the first chapter of Naruto I liked since the Invasion of Pain arc.

I'm sorry! I don't even know why!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a confession to make: I just read Koe no Katachi's oneshot, and I have never felt so pissed at a couple of manga characters ever. To the point I feel like murdering them in the most horrible ways.

Why? because Koe no Katachi's story hits way too close to home as I'm a hearing impaired as well.

Other than that, a solid story, nonetheless. I'm glad it got a serialization.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I liken the popularity of Shingeki no Kyojin to Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire. Both were somewhat well-known prior to their respective shows within manga and fantasy lit circles, but it wasn't until the first episode aired that their popularity spiked up within a short period of time. People who've seen the HBO show began to read the books, and those who watched the anime bought a couple of copies of the tankobon. There are a couple of SnK merchandises that I've seen on the net -the body pillow comes to mind- and GoT have also released quite a number of goods that weren't around prior to the show.

As for the two works themselves, the world the characters live in is grisly and a lot of people die.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I have posted this in another place, but posting here wouldn't hurt. I confess I have been blaming (mostly) myself for not being able to buy an anime magazine because of how the cover looks. Sure, some people could argue that I'm adult enough to choose what I want, but being raised in a pretty conservative family has its cons. I'm too lazy to explain to my family, or even making arguments why I buy that at the first place.

On the other case, I confess that how tax works for imported motion picture works in my country is absolutely ridiculous. You the price for a Blu-ray + tax could exceed three times of the Blu-ray itself.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wagatsuma from Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome and Kyouko from Horimiya both have brown hair, not blond ones as I imagines throughout most of the reading. I can't imagine Hori not being blond anymore, it looks so good in b&w.

Not that I would have a particular fetish for a hair color...
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If I read a chapter of a mahnwa and then read a chapter of a manga right after, I get extremely confused because I'm still reading from L to R. My mind remembers to switch the reading order when I'm reading mahnwa, but it forgets to switch back.

It makes me feel dumb.

---------- Post added October 03, 2013 at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was September 14, 2013 at 09:17 PM ----------
    1. Recently I've been talking to a Japanese fan artist, and I realize just how much of a cheater I am. While they have to buy Shonen Jump every week and buy the tankobons, I read the scans for free every week and download the tankobon. I feel really guilty about how much advantage I have over Japanese readers.
    2. Whenever I'm reading a manga that's still ongoing, I have a tendency to skim because I have a strong desire to catch up, and it often leads to me missing a key point or not understanding what's going on at all. That's why I'm trying my best to read as thoroughly as I can so I don't miss anything.
    3. I blame the Democratic Party of Japan for the closure of Book Off and Iwase Bookstore; they were the two places I would go to purchase manga and magazines.

17. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Yeah, this world is really unfair at times. Though at least you can buy the manga volumes afterwards. Its really cool that you can converse with a Japanese fan of the same manga you're into. It would be really great if I could do the same but I can't speak Japanese at all.

I confess Ubel Blatt has become less interesting to me as of late. I'm not sure why, but I think I miss the earlier chapters where the other Heroes have a distinct relationship with Ascheritt before they betrayed him. Now that the plot is moving on to bigger things (which is fine, logically speaking), I sometimes glaze over the chapter. Also a lot of my favorite characters have been put on a bus, so that makes it more difficult to enjoy when its a bunch of new characters doing most of the talking.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Put it on hold with chapter 45, when did the big arc/saga end? Your words aren't really pushing me to pick it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    If I read a chapter of a mahnwa and then read a chapter of a manga right after, I get extremely confused because I'm still reading from L to R. My mind remembers to switch the reading order when I'm reading mahnwa, but it forgets to switch back.

It makes me feel dumb.
    1. Recently I've been talking to a Japanese fan artist, and I realize just how much of a cheater I am. While they have to buy Shonen Jump every week and buy the tankobons, I read the scans for free every week and download the tankobon. I feel really guilty about how much advantage I have over Japanese readers.
    2. Whenever I'm reading a manga that's still ongoing, I have a tendency to skim because I have a strong desire to catch up, and it often leads to me missing a key point or not understanding what's going on at all. That's why I'm trying my best to read as thoroughly as I can so I don't miss anything.
    3. I blame the Democratic Party of Japan for the closure of Book Off and Iwase Bookstore; they were the two places I would go to purchase manga and magazines.
    Comic strips don't make sense when I read them, than I realise I've spoiled the end already.-_-

Well you would have to buy them too, they just chose to pay more. :P

Too many OP fans seemingly do this. :/

And that's sad.
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 14, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    ^ Yeah, this world is really unfair at times. Though at least you can buy the manga volumes afterwards. Its really cool that you can converse with a Japanese fan of the same manga you're into. It would be really great if I could do the same but I can't speak Japanese at all.
    I always have to catch myself and find out whether something new is already compiled in a volume. I don't want to reveal something that hasn't been officially published yet or indicate that I read the latest chapter even though the certain magazine isn't sold here. (Or even it if WAS sold here, it would cost way too much to buy on a weekly basis.)

It's really interesting to see what the Japanese fandom thinks about a particular series or a character. Sometimes their ships are completely different from ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Comic strips don't make sense when I read them, than I realise I've spoiled the end already.-_-

Well you would have to buy them too, they just chose to pay more. :P

Too many OP fans seemingly do this. :/

And that's sad.
    Isn't it weird? Right to Left is the correct way of reading things if we're brought up learning an Indo-European language, but it feels weird when we read a comic in this order.

That's true!

I admit the skimming was why I couldn't get into OP during my initial read. It was only after my second read through that I finally understood and became obsessed.

The yen was expensive so it became difficult for the bookstores to import books from Japan. People used to be able to buy, let's say, two used books for 1 USD, and then it became one book for 1 USD. Right now things are getting better so it should be cheaper to buy products from Japan.

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    ^ Put it on hold with chapter 45, when did the big arc/saga end? Your words aren't really pushing me to pick it up again.
    I can't even remember. Chapter 45 sounds like a long time ago - the scanlations are now up to chapter 116.

The truth is, the plot is moving on to bigger things, and some of the heroes have kids that have gotten involved in the plot too. If you thought the big saga at 45 was long, I think this one might be longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I always have to catch myself and find out whether something new is already compiled in a volume. I don't want to reveal something that hasn't been officially published yet or indicate that I read the latest chapter even though the certain magazine isn't sold here. (Or even it if WAS sold here, it would cost way too much to buy on a weekly basis.)

It's really interesting to see what the Japanese fandom thinks about a particular series or a character. Sometimes their ships are completely different from ours.
    Its funny though, because even amongst fans some will buy the magazine and some will not. So sometimes even if they buy the magazine, they might not have read the chapter yet because they have to physically go out and buy the magazine. And some of them are more internet savy so they'll spoil themselves with the scanlated versions...which is just so weird.

It is interesting! I really think English speaking fandoms are so conservative compared to the Japanese fandoms. If you like a crack pairing, among English-speaking circles it would be really difficult to find someone else who ships it. In a Japanese group, they may have a whole doujinshi full of stories based on it. I wonder what sets the precedents for these kind of things.

New Reply
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast