Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Manhwa Recommendations thread

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Manhwa Recommendations thread

First of all, a little about Manhwa:

Spoiler: A simple copy/paste from Wikipedia show

Purpose of this thread : The purpose of this thread is to recommend and promote manhwa to our friends on MH. This thread is not meant to discuss about a series in depth. For that we have dedicated threads for series, if there is none, feel free to create one in the appropriate section.

Guidelines for posting in this thread

I will really appreciate if we try to follow a specific format as given below:

Sample format for recommendations
    About the series

Detailed info about the series including Plot, Characters, other media, references. It will be so great if we take extra time out and post the contents here, rather than providing a link. Our aim should be to facilitate our friends.

You can also ask specific question about a recommended series that you intend to read.

Image/Cover

This is optional so its up to you.

Personal Note

This section will have your views about the series. It will be nice to hear what you like or dislike about the series and why you recommend it to others. Feel free to enlist the good and bad about the series, characters, storlyline, etc. However, I will appreciate if we keep it all friendly. We do appreciate constructive criticism.

Your rating

How would rate it on a scale of 1-10.

Here is my recommendation:

Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master)

Type : Manhwa

Genre : Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Mature, Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural, Tragedy

Groups Scanlating : Cabbit, Erratic, Hikaru no Go Translations, KORAB-scans, Kazenoyume-Fansubs, NEGOKI, Sleeping Forest, KYF, etc.

No. of Volumes : 17

Scanlated : Yes

About the series

Another copy paste from Wikipedia

Blade of the Phantom Master (新暗行御史, Shin Angyō Onshi?, 신암행어사 Sinamhaengeosa), translated as "New Royal Secret Commissioner", is a serial manga-manhwa and animated film created by Youn In-wan and illustrated by Yang Kyung-il.

The series takes place in a world reminiscent of ancient Korea, and follows the Korean-folktale-inspired adventures of Munsu, one of the few remaining guardians against corruption and tyranny, as he seeks to find those responsible for the destruction of his country. It was serialized from 2001 to 2007 in South Korea (as Sinamhaengeosa) and in Japan (as Shin Angyō Onshi), and was adapted into an animated theatrical-release film in 2004 in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between Japan and South Korea. In 2007, an English-language version of the film was released in the United States by ADV Films under the title, Blade of the Phantom Master. In 2008, the anime became one of over 30 ADV titles transferred to Funimation.

Plot

Spoiler: Plot show

Characters
    Spoiler: Characters show

Series origins

Spoiler: Series origins show

Other Publication(s)
    Shin Angyo Onshi Gaiden

Media
    Spoiler: Media show

Other Publication(s)
    Shin Angyo Onshi Gaiden

Image/Cover
    Spoiler: Image show

Personal Note

Art : I really liked the series and I think Koen liked it too. The art is pretty decent and I think manhwa are really improving in this area. I liked the backgrounds, characters design, settings, etc.

Characters : SAO (Shin Angyo Onshi) has bunch of interesting characters. The relationship between Munsu-Aji Tae and Munsu-Sando is very refreshing. Aji Tae character is deceiving in most part of the series, can't say more or it will spoil the ones who intend to read it. The character of Bang Ja brought humor to the series.

Storyline : A better storyline with sub-stories taking place in the series, which were an essential part of Munsu's journey to find Aji Tae.

Your rating and Recommendation

I would rate it 9/10 and highly recommend it.

Last edited by thornofcarrion; January 06, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manhwa Recommendations thread

you have to forgive me for not following the guidelines.
    Four Daughters of Armian

It is a very amazing historical romance shoujo manwha and one of my favourite manwha of all time. Don't make the 'shoujo' label turn you off from reading it! It has amazing characterization, political conflicts, plot, and drama.
    Last edited by R4n; November 29, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

About the series
    Name: ID
    Genre : Action Adventure Comedy Fantasy Romance
    Demography: Shounen
    Scannalating group : A-Team BNC Scanlations Grumpy Korean Manga Translations
    authors :Kenny A.T. KIM Daewoo
    Artist : Kenny A.T.

Plot/Story
    A cliche fantasy story, an unnamed hero (at times mistaken for a heroine) is in an unknown land where he will inevitably decide the fate of the people and defeat some great enemy. With that said, the story begins with our hero finding himself in a dungeon full of jewels. Gathering some jewels, he is chased out by goblin hybrids and is saved by a party consisting of a high elf, wizard, dwarf and warrior. After saving the hero, the main hero joins the party where they begin their quest, first to a holy temple, and then to meet with the Gold Dragon
    Characters
    The characters in this fantasy are pretty cliche with a mystical hero possessing strange but unrivaled powers, a cliche dwarf with a temper shorter than his height, a cocky warrior, a calm high elf, and a wise wizard. With that said, it is during the comedic moments that these characters differ from their character templates, and become something more than just another person.[source Baka update]

Spoiler show

Personally i would say Id is one of those fantasy series that will hook one up and wont let go..ie its addictive... the artwork and the humor are top notch. the character though not innovative arent disappointing.. they are much like a one forms within a RPG game ... any fantasy shonen, sword action fan will love it
    my personal rating is 8/10 if i am too skeptic..if i am a giving the umber a bit latitude then 8.5

ps : i hope this was helpful .. and try ID guys its awesome
    Last edited by Asarii; December 06, 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added series title

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member p1xel's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

The Breaker.
    My first manhwa, and it is awesome.
    It is about a boy who meets a mysterious man, but to don`t spoil, he will start to train martial arts, and read it if you wan`t to know more:P
    Fight scenes are awesome, characters are good, development is nice. One of my favorite series that is better than many mangas.
    Give it a try.

8. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

'Island'...dunno much info about it. Found that on Mangafox. Horror/gore/thriller type. Bits of religious things are thrown in the mix...not much of importance were attached to them plot wise. (kinda like how pages from bible were used as weapons in Hellsing). Has a badass hero looking like Ichimaru Gin, but only about 10 times better. Its actually collection of 2/3 stories...the last one being the best imo. Its unfinished, on hiatus prolly. Its a pity...but makes for a nice time passer. Not very highly recommended, but it does have great visual...and good badassery. 6.5/10.

Veritas: my favorite in shonen genre. Its already pretty well known. Check out Jammin's review in the review section.

About the Breaker...i know its really popular, but i personally found it rather mediocre at best. Unless its improved significantly since a certain handicapped battle in a building (that's as far as i read), i wouldn't recommend it as strongly as others seen to do. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by ashher; December 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Bride of the Water God
    Yun Mi-kyung

Type: Manhwa

Genre: shoujo, historical fantasy, romance

Groups Scanlating: chiresakura, shoujo manhwa scans

No. of Volumes: 11 (as of Dec 2010)

Scanlated: Yes

The following is from Wikipedia but made spoiler-free by me!

Plot
    Spoiler show

Characters
    Spoiler show

Series origins
    Spoiler show

Personal Notes
    Art: The art is among the best I've ever seen. The page is rich with detail, and reading each chapter is like eating chocolate. Just like how too much can be a bad thing, at times it can be overwhelming. Nevertheless, the artwork is one of my favourites.

Characters: I adore the protagonists and all the servants from the Water Tribe. Even those with unkind personalities have redeeming qualities about them. Some of the characters provide unexpected comic relief, which I find quite funny. XD (Sorry it's been a while since I read this.)

Story: As I explained in the parenthesis, I haven't read this in so long so my memory on the details is quite fuzzy. I remembered loving the plot twists that are thrown in, and the fact that it's patient with developing characters and their relationship to one another.

8/10. I don't normally read manhwa nor shoujo for that matter, but I really enjoy Bride of the Water God. As a lover of history and fantasy, this is perfect!

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Red Erewhon

Author : Lee Jong-Kyu

Artist : Kang Jae-Sin

Demographic : Seinen

Genre : Action Fantasy Romance Seinen

Groups Scanlating : Easy Going Scans, OMFGG Scans, helz0ne

No. of Volumes : 03

Plot

In a time when gods ruled with cruelty, no one dared to oppose them… A girl was offered to the wind god as a sacrifice. A tribe leader sets off on a journey of redemption while trying to save the girl he loves and make her his wife. Kiron, while defying the gods will, departs for a difficult journey. Will he be successful? And what kind of obstacles will the gods throw at him?

Characters

Image/Cover

Personal Note

The series got me hooked from the first chapter. Perhaps, my liking for myths, fantasy, etc contributed in developing liking for the series. The artwork is good and the story so far has been going well. Sorry for not being much descriptive as there have been only 09 chapters translated. I would update it as the story progresses.

I would rate it 7.5/10 and recommend it, if you are looking for something simple and decent.
    Last edited by thornofcarrion; January 06, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse

Author : Son Jae Ho

Artist : Lee Gwang Su

Demographic : Shonen

Genre :Action, Adventure, Comedy, Manhwa, School Life, Supernatural, Webcomic

Groups Scanlating : Easy Going Scans

No. of Volumes : N/A

Plot

Noblesse (노블레스) is an online manhwa written by Son Jae Ho and illustrated by Lee Gwang Su. Noblesse is about a powerful, noble vampire - Cadis Etrama Di Raizel (also called Rai) - who has been asleep for 820 years with no knowledge of mankind's advancement and scientific successes. He has recently woken up in an abandoned building in South Korea[1]. He is starting to get used to the modern world, often with the much-needed help of his loyal servant, Frankenstein. Rai enrolls in Ye Ran high school and inadvertently befriended Shinwoo - an athletic teenager, Ik-Han - a computer geek, Yuuna and a few others. Noblesse follows the group's often dangerous adventures against a secret organization while uncovering Rai's past.

Source: Wiki

Characters

Image/Cover

Personal Note

I can’t say enough about this series! It is amazing in my opinion. It's a should read! If you like fantasy / action themes then you should check it out. The raws are posted on-line on Tuesdays. This is a web comic, so you can support the author simply by visiting their on-line site. I never thought I would like a story/comic about Vampires. The way this series is presented threw out all the standard cliche's out the window.

Watch out: Addicting ~

I would rate it 9.9/10 and recommend it, if you are looking for something thats fun to read, has a bit of mystery to it and will make you laugh a lot times.

ID The Greatest Fusion Fantasy

Author : Kim Daewoo

Artist : A. T. Kenny

Demographic : Shonen

Genre : Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Manhwa, Martial Arts, Romance

Groups Scanlating : A-team

No. of Volumes : 25

Plot

Id The Greatest Fusion Fantasy (Pronounced Ee doo), is a manhwa (comic) written by Kim Daewoo, with art by A. T. Kenny.

This is the story of man named Chun Hwa who is trapped in a world he does not come from. He soon takes the name of Id since he did not want to attract too much unwanted attention because of his name which would sound odd to the locals of the world he found himself in. As Chun Hwa progresses through this strange new world throughout the story he makes friends, enemies, and part of his past is shown indicating that there is more than meets the eye about his past. Around volume six his origins and his past are revealed, but many questions about him are still unanswered.

Source: Wiki

Characters

Image/Cover

Personal Note

One of my favorite series so far! It’s good and gets better, the art work has a noticeable improvement as the volume progresses. I would say this starts out somewhat as a "typical" shonen series and has some of those elements in it and improves rather cliche.

The “ID story" comes from a novel and has been turned into a comic. The comic has some variations in it. The story is described well in the plot (see above) so sit back and enjoy it. The main character starts out powerful from the get go, no useless training arc because he as already trained prior to the start of the story.

If you like fighting, action, adventures in a fantasy type setting, then you'll most likely love this.
    It may start out a little confusing at the beginning but the details about the main character will be filled in as the story progress. The ongoing gag of the story is that the main character “Id” is mistaken for a girl, when he is a guy. Although by looks its hard to tell sometimes

Watch out: Addicting ~

I would rate it from a 9.5 - 10 also and recommend it, if you are looking for something thats fun to read, has elves, fantastic type of attacks, comedy, romance, you'll like this.
    Last edited by Charlie; March 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: genre update

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member •Sasuke•'s Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Legend Punch (Fist of Legend)

Author : Lee Yong Kyu

Artist : Lee Yoon Kyun

Demographic : ---
    Genre : Action Fight

Groups Scanlating : Mangacurse / A-Team

No. of Volumes : N/A

No. of chapters : Trans 5 - Raw 15

Plot The story is about a tv show in wich old man have to fight for money. The show is based on the the past history of these men. In fact, they were all heroes in their time and they have all played a central role in their schools. The program's objective is to poke fun at those old glories...

Characters:
    Lym Duk Kyoo (an old man divorced that has a poor job and enter the tv show to pay for his daughter's, Soo Kwong, mistake in the school)
    Han Ji Suk (an employer of an Action world cable company who have to search for "legend of fist")

Image/Cover

Personal Note

I just read the first two chapters! I think that's a good manhwa.

Rate 9/10 and recommend it.

>>> If you want to take a look click here to view the first 5 chapter eng scan online <<<

Spoiler show
    Last edited by •Sasuke•; March 23, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add another group of scanalators and other info

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Z U S U N
    Alternative: Jade Dynasty, 주선
    Years: 2010
    Author: Ho Rang (Story & Art)
    Scanlators: The Company
    Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Historical, Romance, Shounen

Cover!
    Spoiler show

Preview! <Warning: Large Image>:
    Spoiler show

Personal Note!
    Spoiler show

Rating & Recommendation!
    Spoiler show

20. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Knight Run
    About the series

In the era of space exploration. Mankind is at war against monsters of unknown origin. The battle is grim, and the future looks bleak. Amidst the chaos, mankind plays their last hand; it's time for the Knights to step into the fray and turn the tide of this war.

you can get more information and discuss the series in its own thread here.

Image/Cover

Personal Note

I stumbled upon this series two days ago. I started reading it and I am half way there. It turned to be a very good read. The plot is very interesting, Knights meets sci-fi world. What this series lacks is art. Some drawings were not done as I would have wanted them. Overall, the art is reasonable but most other manhwa, using similar drawing techniques, have better art.

I recommend it to those who like action / fantasy series.

Your rating

I will give it 8/10.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gamer
    About the series

The Gamer is about a young man (Han Jee-Han) who awakens a power that causes him to see his life to work like an RPG with stats, skills, crafting, and power levels all of which only he can see; and how this ability draws him into a world of supernatural powers and adventure.

You can read the series here and discuss here.

Image/Cover

Personal Note

My favorite RPG themed series ever. The way he levels is surprisingly satisfying due to the way he's constantly getting popups telling him various skills are increasing and randomly picking up new skills; and the whole thing is made hilarious by how the world only works that way for HIM. As other supernatural powers in the gamer's world work differently. Which brings me to the characters, another place this series shines, using both artwork and generous amounts of personality to make these are people you are going to want to read about.

I recommend it to everybody. In fact, I'd even call it a must read.

Your rating

I give it 10/10.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 29, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Soul Cartel

About the series

Soul Cartel is about a young boy named Si-hun Cha/Shioon who wants to be a Spirit Guide like his sister Su-in Cha and something went wrong when Si-Hun met an Arch Devil

Read Online

Image/Cover

Personal note
    this is more like a back-up manhwa/webtoon that is always there if your favorite manhwa/webtoon is on break well that was my first take on it anyway then after reading a couple of chapters i got hooked and following it ever since
    Your rating

7.5/10

Ultimate Legend - Kang Hae Kyo

About the series

When delinquency became a major problem in Korea they created a unique school to fix the problem.

Read online

Image/Cover

Personal note

Pretty much this webtoon has potential but until the latest chapter(ch.21) all of the scenes are either introduction of characters and less action like 60% introduction and 40% action scenes and also when you first read it you will laugh

Your rating

6.5/10
    this webtoon has a potential to become an awesome martial arts genre
    Last edited by kidopitz27; November 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation:

Over Steam

Genre : Action, Adventure, Webtoon, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural, Tragedy

Groups Scanlating : Silent Sky, MiamMiam-Team

No. of Volumes : 2

Info from Baka-Updates Manga & Batoto

Brief Description

In the aftermath of a great war between humanity and creatures known as the Talaiv, the storms of war are brewing again.

Plot
    N/A

Characters
    N/A

Series origins
    N/A

Author
    Yoon Dong Hyuk

Artist
    Seo Youn Kyo

Other Publication(s)
    http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=98383

Media
    N/A

Image/Cover

Personal Note

Art : I believe the art is very graphic and colorful. It reminds of the The Gamer or The Tower of God. Probably a slight exaggeration, but you'll get what I mean once you read it.

Characters : I've only read less than thirty chapters, but the story seems to revolve around a young teenage boy who lost his parents at an early age because of war. Grew up to become a skilled thief or burglar under the tutelage of a cruel old man involved in underworld dealings. Also, there's a pretty older female (young adult) who has strange powers. Both of them seem to be the main protagonists. I won't say anything else! You'll just have to read the story!

Storyline : Well, the story involves dragons, supernatural powers, war, and half naked chicks It's an interesting comic. Definitely worth a read.

My Rating and Recommendation

I would give it 7.5 or 8/10 and strongly recommend it to readers who like action adventure comics with a little dose of supernatural, fantasy, and tragedy.
    Last edited by BASED Shinigami; January 02, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation:

100% Perfect Girl

Genre : Action, Manhwa, Mature, Psychological, Romance, Shoujo

Groups Scanlating :

Info from Baka-Updates Manga & Batoto

Brief Description

[LEFT] From Kiss Manga: Jay Jin is the headstrong teenage rebel, determined to prove she's serious about making art. J. Max is the tall debonair foreigner, in Korea on business, with more--much more--to his background than he lets on. On the surface, it would seem as though Jay and J. have nothing in common... until a chance encounter in a hotel lobby sparks a mysterious attraction. Will true love prove strong enough to overcome the language barrier, not to mention the thousands of miles separating two attractive people? Then there are the interventions of friends and family who think they know best... as well as a disastrous encounter with spicy chicken kebab!

Author
    Wann

Artist
    Wann

Personal Note

Good art, and a fantastic plot that is quite realistic compared to other things I've read...

My Rating and Recommendation
    9/10
    Last edited by Jammin; January 17, 2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed the field set

28. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply