Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: -Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

-Hitogatana-
    By: Onigunsou
    Genre: Action
    Serialized In: Comic Blade
    Mangaupdates

Crimes commited using manned combat-androids dubbed "Katana" run rampant.
    In an effort to maintain order, the government has organized the AKCD - "Anti Katana Crime Division."
    Togusa of the 8th squad of the AKCD, while holding existential doubts as a Human-Katana hybrid, continually casts himself into battle...

Cool series with lots of action, great art, and what appears to be a great plot. Three volumes in Japan so far, the first two chapters scanlated thus far. I was going to wait until the first volume was completely scanlated but couldn't resist trying it.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [FEATURED]-Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Read the first two chapters yesterday. Really looks promising. I would recommend it to people who like action based series.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [FEATURED]-Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Just read it the other day as well. It does look like it has a very interesting plot, even if the premise isn't something totally original or anything. I'm intrigued by the fact that the main character is a human-katana hybrid. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [FEATURED] -Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

I'm willing to withhold judgment about originality for now. So far the set up is typical action, youngster with super powers fights villains with similar super powers, ultimately resulting in pwnge. I think there's enough space for a deeper story to emerge after a few volumes, more than one on one fights at least.

Chapter 3 is out! Anyone who hasn't should read it. The chapter was all about introducing some more characters but ended with some good action. Over all pretty enjoyable. I still can't tell if it's going anywhere but the art is pretty, well paced, and entertaining.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 12, 2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads-up, Kaiten ^^ Would have missed it otherwise.

The new guy Hiyama seems like a pretty cool dude (showing up for meetings in his katana :3), and will most likely play a pivotal role in the story, or at least for this arc. I'm looking forward to seeing who this girl is who appeared at the end.

Also I wonder why there was no TN to explain the thing about "yatsuka". A non-Japanese speaker probably would not understand why Togusa found it offensive to be called that... So to explain~ basically "yatsu" is a derogatory word that can be translated as "dude"/"guy"/"chap"/"fellow", but it can also mean an object or a thing. Which is why Togusa doesn't like to be called that, since that's like not treating him as a human and instead seeing him only for his katana/weapon side. (oh and the "ka" is just something added to make it a question. So "yatsu ka" would be something like "[are you] an object?")

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured Yatsuka was a derogatory reference to him being half katana, that he was getting pissed because it made him sound more like an object than a person. A TL note would have been nice though. While it's kind of a typical shonen thing (Naruto/kyuubi, Inuyasha being half-demon), I would like to know more about Togusa's past. Why he's half katana, was he human than altered, katana first. Lots of good questions about his past.

I think the girl at the end was Hiyama ^^

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes she was, not what I expected though. Togusa's character is what makes this series interesting. I want to know how he became the hybrid.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Right. I fail I had thought the one who said "Shinobu-chan" was Togusa and not the shopkeeper

Chapter 4 is out, btw And with this chapter ends vol1.

More new characters! Now that this new girl Amenohabagiri has appeared and apparently Togusa sees himself in her, I'm sure we will be getting some Togusa backstory soon

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ruu Readman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: [FEATURED] -Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Also I wonder why there was no TN to explain the thing about "yatsuka". A non-Japanese speaker probably would not understand why Togusa found it offensive to be called that... So to explain~ basically "yatsu" is a derogatory word that can be translated as "dude"/"guy"/"chap"/"fellow", but it can also mean an object or a thing. Which is why Togusa doesn't like to be called that, since that's like not treating him as a human and instead seeing him only for his katana/weapon side. (oh and the "ka" is just something added to make it a question. So "yatsu ka" would be something like "[are you] an object?")
    Nice explanation! It explains a lot!

*WARNING SPOILER*
    However, Togusa's original full name (which I've picked up from his profile in the Japanese Volume 3) is:
    Yatsuka-no-tsurugi (八握 剣). This is the name of a legendary sword which is one of the "Ten Treasures" said to be held at Isonokami Shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isonokami_Shrine

So, another reason he has for hating being called Yatsuka is that this is a Katana's name. All the other katana (androids) are named after famous historical katana (the sword, not the android!) and so, it seems, was Togusa. This would make him out to be just a thing, an android, and doesn't acknowledge that he is human also.

And as a further translation, Tsurugi (剣) means sword. I'm not sure about the breakdown of the Kanji for Yatsuka, I'll leave that to you guys! All I got was "Eight Grip/Hold/Handle". ^^;

Any Kanji buffs out there?

Oh, and just generally, I want to put my two pennies worth in about this Manga. I was lost after Full Metal Alchemist ended, I read a ton of mediocre to bad Manga to try and fill the void... And then I stumbled upon -Hitogatana-.

Good action scenes (fast, dynamic and not over-long)? Check
    The girls are cute but realistic and NOT overly weak/shallow? Check
    Intriguing back story (to be revealed)? Check
    Endearing hero with cool powers and a fair amount of angst? Check
    Good art? Check

It has real potential! And it looks to get even better. Yeah, so the half-human, half-something-else thing has been done a million times before... but the fact is, there is NO story that hasn't been told before. The trick is in how it is told. And -Hitogatana- is spot on, with a hefty dose of mystery and just the right amount of comedy to balance any angst. And I think I'm already in love with Togusa.

Go read it if you aren't already!

For those who are already into it:
    Was Togusa an ordinary human once and then altered to be half-katana? Or was he made that way from scratch? One thought on this is that if Togusa was human before wouldn't he have had a human name already? But Tsukiyama and Yachiyo had to give him the name Togusa. So either he had never lived as a normal human or he has amnesia. I favour the first option at present, especially what with the comments about him "growing as a human" in Chapter 3. But we'll have to wait and see!
    Last edited by Ruu Readman; December 20, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ruu Readman
    ...Because reading is everything...

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruu Readman View Post
    Nice explanation! It explains a lot!

*WARNING SPOILER*
    However, Togusa's original full name (which I've picked up from his profile in the Japanese Volume 3) is:
    Yatsuka-no-tsurugi (八握 剣). This is the name of a legendary sword which is one of the "Ten Treasures" said to be held at Isonokami Shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isonokami_Shrine

So, another reason he has for hating being called Yatsuka is that this is a Katana's name. All the other katana (androids) are named after famous historical katana (the sword, not the android!) and so, it seems, was Togusa. This would make him out to be just a thing, an android, and doesn't acknowledge that he is human also.

And as a further translation, Tsurugi (剣) means sword. I'm not sure about the breakdown of the Kanji for Yatsuka, I'll leave that to you guys! All I got was "Eight Grip/Hold/Handle". ^^;

Any Kanji buffs out there?
    I wouldn't call myself a kanji buff, but your breakdown is correct

Thanks for this info! When you say "original full name"... Does that mean its his human name as well? Or just his name as a katana?

Quote Quote:
    For those who are already into it:
    Was Togusa an ordinary human once and then altered to be half-katana? Or was he made that way from scratch? One thought on this is that if Togusa was human before wouldn't he have had a human name already? But Tsukiyama and Yachiyo had to give him the name Togusa. So either he had never lived as a normal human or he has amnesia. I favour the first option at present, especially what with the comments about him "growing as a human" in Chapter 3. But we'll have to wait and see!
    Yeah I'm interested to know this as well. But while this is a manga and anything is "possible" in mangadom, making a robot/mecha into half-human seems less likely than making a human half-robo... :/

Anther possibility is that he was originally a human, but on becoming a hybrid, he lost his memories and a part of his humanity as well. Hence not remembering/knowing his own original name, and also still needing to "grow as a human".

At this point I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to something as classic as FMA just yet, but it does have a lot of potential

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

About Togusa,
    Spoiler show

something related and a major spoiler
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by zillac; January 06, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

16. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ruu Readman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: [FEATURED] -Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post

Thanks for this info! When you say "original full name"... Does that mean its his human name as well? Or just his name as a katana?
    Sorry, I meant his name as a katana, as far as I can tell. "original" as in before he was dubbed "Togusa" instead. What his name may have been before as a 100% human, I have no idea.

Looks like Zillac has answered our question as to Togusa either being human made katana or vice versa! Human first, then, and then Katana. It's interesting that Hahagiri is the other way around! So in a way, we are both right in our guesses!

I think this is all in chapters 5 and 6, looking at it, but the translation escapes me at present. curse my lack of kanji reading skills!

Quote Originally Posted by zillac View Post
    About Togusa,
    Spoiler show

something related and a major spoiler
    Spoiler show
    Thanks for all this info Zillac! You answered a ton of my questions - without spoiling things too much. Can't wait to read it! I need to brush up my kanji... would take me forever at current rate.

Quote Originally Posted by zillac View Post
    I'm pretty sure the name isn't in a form of a question... Yatsu does not have the meaning of an object in this context. It just sounds weird to consider Yatsuka to be something like "are you an object
    I'll second this. On this subject, I refer you to my earlier post about his name meaning, which is as follows:

The full version of "Yatsuka" is "Yatsuka-no-tsurugi" (八握 剣). This is the name of a legendary sword which is one of the "Ten Treasures" said to be held at Isonokami Shrine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isonokami_Shrine

As all the other katana (androids) are named after famous historical katana (swords) it would kind of make sense that so was Togusa.
    Last edited by Ruu Readman; January 09, 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ruu Readman
    ...Because reading is everything...

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: -Hitogatana- by Onigunsou

Chapter 5 is out (actually, it's been out a while)

I really like the cover art of vol 2, and the color page or whatever inside (but isn't a part of chapter 5 itself). Simple art, yet quite powerful and emotive.

So the Amano Kyouko that zillac mentioned is now finally mentioned by Togusa himself. And it looks like at the moment when he thought of her, he was about to snap (scary eyes~).

Also, I thought it was interesting that we have Amano Kyouko and Amano Hahagiri. Same surname...? I'm sure there is a link somewhere.

Also, like Ruu Readman said, all the katana are named after famous swords, and Amano Hahagiri is no different. Her name comes from Amenohabagiri (天羽々斬), another legendary sword, namely the sword given to Susanoo by Izanagi to slay Orochi.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked chapter 5. Hahagiri was cute. I bet you are right, there is a connection between her Amano Kyouko. I have a feeling we will learn more about Togusa's past as we learn about her. If Amenohabagiri was susanoo's sword she must be devastating when she becomes a katana. Considering how hellbent the collector was on hiding her, and how equally hellbent her father is about bringing her back, I doubt that is much of a prediction

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Evidences so far about the above suspicions,
    Spoiler show

The last raw I can find is Chapter 17...

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast