Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dumbyugi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    Yes but I say it won't stop jump from cancelling that series if it is doing very worse in ToCs. They might give it more time than other series but as you can see: CP promoting of TLR together with good volumes sells and anime couldn't stop TLR from being canned in WSJ because of constant bottom 5 positions
    The point I'm trying to make is that, by normal business standards, a company would not cancel something that is making them money. I don't think HxH was out of the bottom 5 once when it came back this year (though I could be mistaken) but it wasn't cancelled, until recently Medaka Box was in or just above the bottom 5 but has managed to survive. The reason these series weren't cancelled is beacuse they sell. HxH is one of Jumps top sellers and Medaka Box sells double what Psyren does and is still steadily increasing. Sket Dance had been in trouble of getting cancelled not just because of ToC position but because it wasn't selling enough, but it got an increase in popularity and is now doing well enough that it got an anime.

But we clearly will not see eye to eye on this matter and it is impossible to prove either way.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to put things in perspective in regards to this. To Love Ru was chilling in the bottom for what? 6 months to a year before it got removed and the issues Yabuki had with his wife at that time are well documented.

It makes no sense that between the choices of something like OD, Hokenshitsu or even Medaka Box if it comes down to it, they won't choose one of them to end instead of Mago. Especially when new series keep coming in besides those ones and show no potential in the mag or in sales.

Psyren was a poor seller and in the end had consistently poor rankings on top of that which is a recipe for disaster. Medaka put up numbers in volume one that Psyren couldn't even do in 10. Mago surpassed its highest mark by volume 3 as well. Same with Kuroko by volume 3 despite its shaky start. Mx0's last volume sales are barely half of what Mago did on the same volume count the year it was released. That came after the series(Mx0) was already gone. Medaka had hit that mark as well with a third of Mx0's final volume count.

Series that make them money won't be so easily cast aside especially if they are having another year like 2010. Hunter x Hunter despite the infrequent schedule and To Love Ru not ending before Yabuki's personal problems came to light support this.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Look all I am telling you is that if Mago will not get out of that position then it will be cancelled. Money or not. WSJ is a machine that kills awful series but that kills great series too. For a cancellation the main criterion will be the position in the ToC because by polls, readers decide which series are in and out. They tell the editorial staff which series make them buy the magazine. I am not saying that Mago will be cancelled in upcoming issues. Two series have been cancelled and after this series of one shots, it might be some new ones will be inserted to fill up psyren's and swot's spot. So Mago has a lot of time.

The prior question will be however: are these series new cushions for lower rated series. Mago has a reader fanbase but its fanbase is definitely giving a signal that it is disappointed. It's up to the editors and the mangaka to do something about that. Because if it won't get out of that bottom and it won't be protected by cushions then it will be canned whether the volumes sell sucked or not, whether it had an anime or not... It's all about opportunities for the machine (aka wsj).

So mago will have a long life if it gets out of that bottom or if it doesn't get out of that bottom but it is protected by awful cushions

Psyren eventually survived for a long time because it was polled decently in the magazine. It got a lot CP's and the volume sells weren't good. Why was psyren cancelled/ended? Because the volumes sold bad? No, since it could have been ended from its start then. It was cancelled because the WSJ readers killed it in the most recent polls

About HxH: HxH is constantly on a hiatus. I would take HxH's role in discussion with a grain of salt. It is really doubtful that it survives on reader's polls since the issues it makes a series of appearances can be counted on two hands. I think HxH is an exception because it can return back thanks to the editorial department. For HxH I do agree that volumes might be more decisive in this case because its appearances (8 weeks only?) are too short to know how readers vote for it in their polls. Furthermore HxH volumes appearances aren't endless either. Since the manga doesn't appear in WSJ, volumes can't be imprinted either. Its material for volume publishing has a source too; that being magazine appearances. HxH for now doesn't belong in the collection of continously ongoing volume selling manga.
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really tough to compare To-Love and Psyren with their different situations. Psyren ended because it just didn't have the sales or the ranks to make it after a certain point. It still got three years and, thus, it's story told (akin to a Muhyo), but it still ended regardless because of sales and polling. To-Love had the extra problem of Yabuki's marital problems. It did poll bad and we have heard stories before that more older-skewing series don't get the ranks as the ones that are general audiences, but Yabuki's situation was not helping anything. Thus it ended, but still had the support to lead to the sequel series and anothre anime.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    It's really tough to compare To-Love and Psyren with their different situations. Psyren ended because it just didn't have the sales or the ranks to make it after a certain point. It still got three years and, thus, it's story told (akin to a Muhyo), but it still ended regardless because of sales and polling. To-Love had the extra problem of Yabuki's marital problems. It did poll bad and we have heard stories before that more older-skewing series don't get the ranks as the ones that are general audiences, but Yabuki's situation was not helping anything. Thus it ended, but still had the support to lead to the sequel series and anothre anime.
    I want to make sales and ranks of it. Since it survived on ranks

Okay, but Jumbor who was instantly skilled got a new chance too to appear in another jump magazine. It is definitely a proof that those editorial departments work independent from each other. Eventually, TLR didn't get its sequel series in WSJ. TLR got a new chance in a different magazine with a different editorial staff. Same goes for the totally different jumbo.

Btw, where does that Yabuki story come from? It's the first time I heard of it
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

How did Muhyo and Rouji and/or Neuro sell? I'm not too familiar with volume sales but I think either of them would make a much better barometer than To Love would.

No matter how many times the same argument gets repeated over and over again, it doesn't change the fact that there were outside influences at the time of To Love's cancellation and it got picked back up again once the issue was resolved.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; December 01, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    How did Muhyo and Rouji and Neuro sell? I'm not too familiar with volume sales but I think either of them would make a much better barometer than To Love would.

No matter how many times you repeat the exact same argument over and over again, it doesn't change the fact that there were outside influences at the time of To Love's cancellation and it got picked back up again as soon as the issue was resolved.
    Spoiler: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
     show

I only have Muhyo's final volume count

28, 30,121 30,121 Muhyo to Rosie vol. 17
    25, 23,341 53,462 Muhyo to Rosie vol. 17

Negative Syndicate

I heard that To Love-Ru was ranked in bottom 5 because he submitted the work late. If it actually did voted, it would have ended much earlier, like Shaman King did.

If the author submitted their work late, the editor puts the series in lower place as penalty. I remember some years ago, One Piece was ranked in middle because Oda submitted the work late.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; December 01, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say let's postpone this discussion. At this point we can't really tell how things'll evolve. JUMP will probably come to Mago's aid if they feel like the series really is in decline. It's a nice cash cow for them, 2010's Oricon Charts proved that.
    On the other hand, if Mago supporters are so sure the series is invincible due to its sales and anime and what not, then why even bother about its performance in the first place? If you're so sure, lean back and don't worry...

But hypothetically spoken:
    Of course, Mago is the strongest series in this week's bottom 5 by a huge margin. But let's say it can't improve its position but some of the other series will. (Just take Medaka as an example which had a fine streak the last few months.)
    I just can't see JUMP just randomly picking a series as scapegoat if that were the case... the current line up from JUMP is really strong in regards of sales and stuff like that. (Hell, about half of the series have Anime support and we've seen how JUMP had dominated the Best of 2010 Oricon lists.)

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Negative Syndicate

If this discussion on comparison of To Love-Ru and Psyren associated with Nurarihyon's ranking, then I think we should wait little bit more about possible cancellation of Nurarihyon. Nurarihyon only ranked low for one issue at this point, if it ranked near last for consecutive weeks, then we should proceed on dicussing about this issue.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's postpone this discussion indeed though I never had the feeling that one of my discussion partners were unreasonable (I hope so I didn't either). On the contrary, I enjoyed the discussion with them a lot since their arguments were very solid, good. I am glad that neuro's and muhyo's volume sells were posted since it proves together with psyren that manga which aren't top volume sellers can survive with ToC ratings alone for longer than people would expect.

Anyway, Mr. Prince you are quite right. In contrast to three years ago, it will be very hard for newcomers to do good. Enigma is a hit and seems to become jump's best newcomer after Beelzebub? Kuroko?. Toriko, Beelzebub and Mago aren't oldies either. Furthermore, Reborn a very prominent top 5 manga which is doing less nowadays sproves how strong the competition is
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    If this discussion on comparison of To Love-Ru and Psyren associated with Nurarihyon's ranking, then I think we should wait little bit more about possible cancellation of Nurarihyon. Nurarihyon only ranked low for one issue at this point, if it ranked near last for consecutive weeks, then we should proceed on dicussing about this issue.
    Mago is more a slip-up, most series (not OP or Naruto) have those. People just worry their favorite series will make the space for the next series...or more HxH.

Negative Syndicate

http://ipse.blog42.fc2.com/blog-entry-90.html

I'm not sure whether this information is related to Jump or not, but it is said Togashi (author of Hunter x Hunter) had opened Mahjong competition.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    I want to make sales and ranks of it. Since it survived on ranks

Okay, but Jumbor who was instantly skilled got a new chance too to appear in another jump magazine. It is definitely a proof that those editorial departments work independent from each other. Eventually, TLR didn't get its sequel series in WSJ. TLR got a new chance in a different magazine with a different editorial staff. Same goes for the totally different jumbo.

Btw, where does that Yabuki story come from? It's the first time I heard of it
    Seriously? Have you been living under a rock lol? Not only did the wife cheat on him but she also had left the household with her daughter without telling Yabuki, only for her to leave her child at her relatives place so that she would sleep with another guy. Quite cruel indeed. He's wife didn't really take care much of her daughter and overall of what was happening was affecting he's work. He ended the TLR to take care of he's daughter after the divorce (he got sole custody of their daughter) he didn't have enough time to do both thus the series ended.

For more info go here: http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/06/09/...-authors-wife/
    Last edited by Asarii; December 01, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoddGuts View Post
    Seriously? Have you been living under a rock lol?
    Be nice

But this is the first time I've heard the whole story as well. All that was really passed around at the time was "Yabuki was having family troubles" or something to that effect.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast