Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Koshi_Inaba's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

6 series in Jump enter the top selling series of 2010
    Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2010:
    1 One Piece Eiichiro Oda 32,343,809
    2 Naruto Masashi Kishimoto 7,409,068
    5 Bleach Tite Kubo 5,204,193
    7 Gintama Hideaki Sorachi 3,978,439
    8 Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Akira Amano 3,479,219
    9 Nurarihyon no Mago Hiroshi Shiibashi 3,269,379

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...by-series/2010
    Last edited by Koshi_Inaba; December 01, 2010 at 06:13 AM.

2. Thanks 12 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The gap between One Piece and Naruto is... Big

I'm happy for Mago being on that list. Now I just hope it moves up on the ToCs >< With this arc ending, I hope the new arc is better (not that I personally disliked the Kyoto arc or anything) and that the readers voting like it.

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

*manly tears* Oumaga---!! Finally... I'm so happy Still Bottom 5 sucks but it finally(!) showed signs of living and moved up. I'm not just a happy camper but the happiest for the day~ :')

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    But... Mago so low?! That thing about a manga not being in danger of cancellation even if it doesn't fare well on ToCs as long as it has good tankoubon sales better be true ><

EDIT: Oh and Beelzebub just missing the bottom 5 too :/ That sucks. Hope both Mago and Beel pick up in the rankings, especially Mago!
    I have always said that WSJ doesn't care about tankoubon sales at all. Mago is starting to become a new psyren if it doesn't watch out. Starting awful in wsj yet surviving in the competition. Then suddenly it is doing decent/good to finally end up in the bottom.

Mago should be careful because it will be cancellated if it doesn't get higher positions (wheter the volumes sale or not)
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I feel so out of it with Jump as of late (busy with life and just no interest to search for scans anymore with everything shut down), but it's weird to see Gintama get it's anime back unless this really is endgame coming up. I haven't really followed anything with Gintama for months though...

And meanwhile I sort of like Toriko and Sket being in the top five, but it does seem like with long-term buffers dissappearing, series like Mago and Beezle are now getting to seem a tad weaker.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    I have always said that WSJ doesn't care about tankoubon sales at all. Mago is starting to become a new psyren if it doesn't watch out. Starting awful in wsj yet surviving in the competition. Then suddenly it is doing decent/good to finally end up in the bottom.

Mago should be careful because it will be cancellated if it doesn't get higher positions (wheter the volumes sale or not)
    And where did you know this? From what I know they do care, because that's where the money come from. BTW, mind looking at the list I just posted? Mago is only 200k volume below Reborn. IIRC, there was also a chapter in Bakuman that said sales is important once it reach a certain number. Don't get bitter just because Pysren got canceled because it's low sales and rating
    Last edited by Koshi_Inaba; December 01, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dumbyugi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always said that WSJ doesn't care about tankoubon sales at all. Mago is starting to become a new psyren. Starting awful in wsj yet surviving in the competition. Then suddenly it is doing decent/good to finally end up in the bottom.

Mago should be caerful because it will be cancellated if it doesn't get higher positions (wheter the volumes sale or not)
    Psyren had bad sales as well as bad rankings which is why it got canned. Mago has good sales and an anime to help increase popularity, it's in no danger of being cancelled. To-Love ru is a good example of a series which survived on sales alone and only ended because Yamabuki was having personal issues.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koshi_Inaba View Post
    And where did you know this? From what I know they do care, because that's where the money come from. BTW, mind looking at the list I just posted? Mago is only 200k volume below Reborn
    Come on. The top 8 of WSJ are series that are still doing very good in WSJ. Do you really believe they will say: "mago is in the bottom but it has an anime and it sells good, so let's leave it"? No, they will give it more time but eventually if it is doing a TLR which sold pretty good too, which had an anime too then they will simply end the series in the magazine.

Most people don't want to see that because it is about their beloved series. But I have seen it many times before since I read a lot of cancelled series (from the very short zan to the longer psyren and mx0) I don't say it is instantly in danger but it should watch out that it won't be on that spot for 8 weeks or so because it won't be protected as long as the anime is ongoing or the volumes are selling good

Quote Originally Posted by dumbyugi View Post
    To-Love ru is a good example of a series which survived on sales alone and only ended because Yamabuki was having personal issues.
    No it isn't... TLR couldn't get out of the bottom either at some moment. It was ToC wise a good series too. TLR was ended because it was on a certain moment constantly in the basement
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't... TLR couldn't get out of the bottom either at some moment. It was ToC wise a good series too. TLR was ended because it was on a certain moment constantly in the basement
    The fact that TLR has started up again in Jump.sq pretty much, in my mind, confirms that it wasn't canned because of bad rankings. It even got a new anime that's currently airing.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that TLR has started up again in Jump.sq pretty much, in my mind, confirms that it wasn't canned because of bad rankings. It even got a new anime that's currently airing.
    Go back in the previous ToC threads and you'll see it was ended because it had bad rankings. Jump.Sq might be from the same publisher, it works independent. You never know that someone in the editorial department managed to get TLR back.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Go back in the previous ToC threads and you'll see it was ended because it had bad rankings. Jump.Sq might be from the same publisher, it works independent. You never know that someone in the editorial department managed to get TLR back.
    I agree that this is a possibility. It just seems unlikley to me that a top selling manga would get cancelled from bad rankings when volume sales is where the company earns money. They earn no profit from the magazine. Business wise it would be completley illogical and no company in their right mind would do it.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

No matter how passionate some fans looking at the ranking of their series, sometimes they have to remember that for JUMP, it goes down to business, it goes down to Yens. No matter how big the ranking is, if the good old money doesn't come, they don't give a shit. JUMP is owned by Shueisha, a publishing company, not a "I'm passionate about any manga even if it's sales is low" company

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

And so on and so on and so on

I hope that I proved my statement when I say that good selling series with an anime can get canned. WSJ will take the ToC as a measure for cancellation or not

Even the better selling TLR had to make place for the newer lesser selling psyren
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koshi_Inaba View Post
    No matter how passionate some fans looking at the ranking of their series, sometimes they have to remember that for JUMP, it goes down to business, it goes down to Yens. No matter how big the ranking is, if the good old money doesn't come, they don't give a shit. JUMP is owned by Shueisha, a publishing company, not a "I'm passionate about any manga even if it's sales is low" company
    This is my point exactly.

And so on and so on and so on

when good selling series with an anime are that low then they will get canned
    But as I said, volume sales and merchandising is where the money is at. An anime usally helps sell more volumes of the manga which means more money for Shueisha.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my point exactly.

But as I said, volume sales and merchandising is where the money is at. An anime usally helps sell more volumes of the manga which means more money for Shueisha.
    I wasn't discussing about that. I totally agree with that.

I just want to disillusion people who say that volume sales and anime always topple the ToC rating because that won't stop jump from cancelling that series if it is doing very worse in ToCs. They might give it more time than other series but as you can see: CP promoting of TLR together with good volumes sells and anime couldn't stop TLR from being canned in WSJ because of constant bottom 5 positions
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast