Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Old School Anime Thread

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Old School Anime Thread

This is a thread dedicated to the Old School, to those series that even when they have some years now they are still as awesome as the first time they aired, those series that maybe their animation wasn’t the best but their characters and plot were so great that more than made up for that.

Let’s talk about Old School Anime!

Thanks to Tenshi for the links!

Here are some wikilists of some old school anime series:

Let’s start with some questions.

What is your favorite old school anime?
    My favorite old school anime is Ranma ½. It aired from April 15, 1989 to September 25, 1992. It is my favorite old school anime because it is one of the funniest anime series I’ve ever watched. I can’t remember how many times I laughed while watching this series.

Do you think old school anime is better than the new school anime?
    Mmm…I don’t think so. My reasons for liking or disliking an anime series have to do more with the series itself than with what year it came from.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Old School Anime Thread

My Favourite Old School Anime (in no particular order)
    - Doraemon: Who could hate on Doraemon? It's a classic
    - Dragon Ball: Again, a classic
    - Ultraman: I keep using the same argument. It's a classic.
    - Ranma 1/2: Like you, I found it hilarious. Also one of my first few anime
    - Akazukin Cha Cha: Just because it was my first anime. As far as my memory can see, anyway
    - Slam Dunk: Another of my first few. One of the best of sports shounen.
    - Rurouni Kenshin - Another of my first few, and always has been considered among the best even in recent polls! Except for the fillers at the end that ruined it.

I could probably list more, but there would be too many :x

Do I think old school anime is better?
    Nope, like you, it's the anime itself - the plot, characters etc that make me like or dislike any series. Though of course the plus point of recent anime is that they (usually) have better animation and art because of advancements in technology. For example, old school Gundam series from the 80's may have better plots, but recent Gundam series like 00 and Unicorn definitely win handsdown if you're talking about art and animation.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Do I think old school anime is better?
    Though of course the plus point of recent anime is that they (usually) have better animation and art because of advancements in technology. For example, old school Gundam series from the 80's may have better plots, but recent Gundam series like 00 and Unicorn definitely win handsdown if you're talking about art and animation.
    Could you please help with a question, Salad?

Do both Gundam 00 and Gundam Unicorn have good plots as well? Or do the Gundams from the old school have better plots? The reason I’m asking this is because I’m a bit curious if maybe some anime series of the new school could be focusing more on the animation and less on the plot, whereas anime series from the old school would focus more on the plot because they didn’t have the technology to produce the amazing animation it can be produced nowadays.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Could you please help with a question, Salad?

Do both Gundam 00 and Gundam Unicorn have good plots as well? Or do the Gundams from the old school have better plots? The reason I’m asking this is because I’m a bit curious if maybe some anime series of the new school could be focusing more on the animation and less on the plot, whereas anime series from the old school would focus more on the plot because they didn’t have the technology to produce the amazing animation it can be produced nowadays.
    Honestly speaking, I haven't watched any old school Gundam except for short clips (so I know about the animation/art at least, heh) So I can't really comment on the plots, but a lot of Gundam fans think that way (that the old plots were better). I've only watched Gundam since SEED, and the plots were all decent and in fact pretty good... I'd definitely place 00 as one of my favourite anime, in fact. As for Unicorn, the art style actually goes back to the old art style (because it belongs to the same time line, Universal Century, as older Gundam series, whereas the other 2 recent ones, SEED and 00 are both in their own time lines - Cosmic Era and Anno Domini respectively). Animation, however, could even be said to be a step up from 00, which was already pretty darn awesome especially when you watch it in HD and Blu-Ray Plot for Unicorn can't really be expounded on, though, because we're only 2 episodes in out of a total of 6...

Hope that helped

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Try watching Wing. It was the series that made the Gundam franchise really famous.

My Old school anime:

-Escaflowne
    -Gundam Wing
    -Dragon Ball Z
    -Medabots
    -Digimon
    -First seasons of Pokemon (those were the good ol' times) Speaking of which, the director for the first 3 seasons (Kanto, Orange, Johto) recently passed away a few months ago

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    , but a lot of Gundam fans think that way (that the old plots were better).
    Thank you for answering my question, Salad. It didn’t fully satisfy my curiosity on whether old school Gundam has better plot than new school Gundam but your reply did increase my interest in the series, enough to really consider start watching Gundam 00 very soon. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    -First seasons of Pokemon (those were the good ol' times)
    I liked Pokemon very much as well , but I didn’t list it as my favorite old school anime because I only watched the episodes with Misty, once she left I stopped watching Pokemon. And I agree those were the good old times. Even after all these years, I still remember the songs from the first Pokemon ops and Misty’s song “He drives me crazy”.

Quote Quote:
    Speaking of which, the director for the first 3 seasons (Kanto, Orange, Johto) recently passed away a few months ago
    Awww, that is very sad indeed. I don’t know what season Misty left, but I’m sure I finished watching at least the first season so I can say he was a pretty good anime director.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; December 06, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe it hasn't been mentioned here:
    Space Battleship Yamato
    Also known as Uchū Senkan Yamato, Space Cruiser: Yamato and Star Blazers (in different regions, Uchu Senkan Yamato/(宇宙戦艦ヤマ was the original title; Star Blazers was a US dubbed and slightly edited version)

The plot: The "Gamilions", aliens, are attacking earth in 2199. The earth fleet of space ships is defeated quickly (at that time, humanity is capable to travel within our solar system, but not really beyond that), and the Gamilions start to bombard earth with meteorites as weapons. They need a certain level of radiation to live, and radiate earth as they want to live on it.
    A different alien sacrifices her life to bring them data: They invite humanity to send a ship to their planet, where they would recieve "Cosmo Cleaner D", which could remove the radiation from earth. It's humanities last hope. The data also contains highly advanced technology for super fast space ships with the ability of exceeding the speed of light with warp jumps.
    In order to build such a ship, mankind choses the old battleship "Yamato", the largest battleship ever built, it was a japanese one which got build and destroyed in second world war, and turn it into a space battleship. Afterwards, they send it to the mysterious aliens as their last hope, in a quest of one year. ***

It started in 1974 and is a great work of science fiction. It is said to be the first science fiction story ever which used the word "Warp" and delivers a lot of explanations for technologies like exceeding the speed of light (by warp jumps). It was greatly influental on other science fiction works this way.

German Wikipedia goes as far as saying that it is considered to be one of the most important animes of all times by attracting a huge audience to anime in both Japan and the U.S.
    By today it's still a huge franchise. After the first season, there were eight additional projects: More seasons (The Yamato was destroyed in the second season, but the audience did not approve; More seasons were made which revised this decisions) as well as movies, including the live action film last year.

Footnote 1: The "Yamato" is a source of japanese national pride in a way. It is a big thing to them, after all it was the largest battleship ever build. The idea to have it rebuild to safe humanity is a pretty patriotic one to them I guess.

Footnote 2: One of the most sucessful computer games of all times, StarCraft (still super popular in south korea), included some hints on Space Battleship Yamato. The "Terrans" (Humans) could build a very strong flying Battlecruiser in the game. This unit had the special ability "Yamato Cannon".
    Not only the name is a hint, but also the skill as itself, which is some kind of super strong weapon blast. It resembles the "Wave Motion Gun" which the Yamato uses in the anime.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    ^Yup. *still sulking about her leaving the show* Seriously, it wouldn't kill them to bring her back in at LEAST a movie. I would watch it. Definitely
    I remember feeling sad when Misty left Pokemon…but I couldn’t clearly remember the reason why she left it…I had to do a little search on the net to find the reason. However, what I do remember clearly is the reason why Misty joined Ash. It was because of her bike . “It was because Ash borrowed her bike, attempting to flee from a flock of wild Spearow. The bike was later charred to a crisp by a Thundershock from Pikachu. Misty told Ash she would not leave him alone until he replaced the bike and committed to follow him on his journey, and the two soon became close friends.” (from wiki)

And I don’ remember if she appeared in a movie, but I do remember she appeared in some specials, and did you know she became a central character in Pokémon Chronicles, a spin-off to the Pokémon anime? I didn’t know about that. I’m now curious about this Pokemon Chronicles ^_^, I wonder if it is any good…
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

New Reply