Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: how many arc left to reach Raftel?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll

1 0.95%

5 4.76%

9 8.57%

7 6.67%

16 15.24%

7 6.67%

10 9.52%

12 11.43%

2 1.90%

1 0.95%

2 1.90%
  • more than 13

33 31.43%
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How many story arc left for luffy to reach Raftel?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many story arc left for luffy to reach Raftel?

Quote Originally Posted by tret16 View Post
    i agree, an arc completely dedicated to the void century would be great. which i believe will happen when robin reads the rio ponglyph. it's only normal to do that for us to get a clear picture of what she say's afterall.
    I expect something akin to the Ohara flashbacks or Luffy/Ace flashbacks, at the very least.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

ya that's what i was thinking at least. It sticks to Oda's style if we think about it. Other manga's do short flashbacks to keep the main story moving continiously, but Oda will stop the story from moving just to get the backstory shown in full detail just like the Ace/Luffy/ Sabo. i like when he does this personally.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I consider "saga" not just " arc",I hope it won't last too mcuh,yet,I think that in 4 years oda won't deal with more than 5 arcs,but here we are to discuss about what's the boundary between arc and saga.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    I consider "saga" not just " arc",I hope it won't last too mcuh,yet,I think that in 4 years oda won't deal with more than 5 arcs,but here we are to discuss about what's the boundary between arc and saga.
    The "sagas" will probably be long. If you look at Part I of One Piece, initially a saga was approximately 100 chapters. As One Piece went on the length began to increase where the last major saga, the Whitebeard War Saga had about 160 chapters.

Assuming the trend stays constant (1 saga ~= 150 chapters), we have to look at other factors to determine how long possibly the story will last. An example we can use is gauging Luffy's strength as compared to other top-tiers. Right now Luffy is in the same league as characters such as Jinbei and Ace. That means a major difference in power still exists between him and characters such as Akainu and Blackbeard. Luffy will need a 2-3X strength increase in order to compete with them.

Furthermore, Oda is juggling multiple plotlines here. Each ensuing arc will focus on different things. For example, the past arc ended up with Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou, and as the manga drags on he'll have Kaidou and Blackbeard to contend with. Over time Oda will have the judge of maintaining a coherent narrative when dealing with other plotlines such as the revolutionaries and the World Government.

Oda has enough material remaining where even making educated guesses is quite hard. He needed 600 chapters (five sagas) just for Part I, and that was just the warm-up for the overall story. At the bare minimum we're looking at five more sagas (150 x 5 = 750 chapters). Six sagas yield 900 chapters, seven sagas yield 1050 chapters, and eight sagas yield 1200 chapters. At this point we start to approach Twilight Zone plausability.

So I'd wager 5-7 sagas is how much One Piece has left to its grand finale.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends what you call a saga, up to the entering of the grand line we had +-110 chapters, the Arabasta part ended at 216 IIRC which also had Drum kingdom, Skypiea ended at 300 and then we had another 18 chapters of Davy back, Rob lucci was defeated at +-425 and the arc/saga ended at 441, Thriller bark took 49 chapters, which puts us at 490 and assuming we take everything from here up to the timeskip as an arc we get to +-595 since the timeskip is before 600.
    I may have made a misake of max 10 chapters in all the numbers that I wrote but I can't think of a single arc that took 150 chapters or even 130 yet I can understand the feeling since Oda-Sensei does put a lot into one chapter and every page feels meaningful, I do guess that we should expect the manga to end at about 1000 chapters.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to count story arcs, because anyone can decide how many sagas were in OP. Story arcs are more objective.
    Last edited by natli; March 02, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Your statement doesn't make sense, sagas just have a bigger thematic, so where's the problem with naming a number for those too? One can always exclude short in between arcs, like the DBF one from the list. As we can currently see, Oda might make a bigger or smaller detour with the new arc. I won't predict a number, because I want to be suprised by him.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well too me a Saga could actually be concidered the entire first have of the manga. All the way to the time skip... I think that's what he meant by it... Arcs are like each individual events in the life that made them stronger and they learned there importent roles of life... The sage could be a cluster of arcs that identify a chapter in there life as a whole... For example, Rayleigh's one sage would be his life as a pirate and his second saga would be his life as a retired pirate and ship coater... Get what i mean?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a general acceptance within the community to what a Saga is and what not. You are right that Oda accomplished something with every single arc, I'm not trying to exchange this topics poll or something, just that most eople accept them as East Blue Saga, Baroque Works Saga, Skypia Saga or W7/EL Saga and Marineford/Whitebeard War Saga.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen,One piece will probably go to 800-900 episodes,thats it.There will be 7-9 more arcs.And One Piece doesent have to be at Raftel....Who knows One Piece might not even exist.What if One Piece is actually a lie and it means that the one who becomes PK is the one who will sail through all the seas and learn everything.the one too have the most freedom .Theres alot of mysteries and who knows......

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Filster View Post
    Listen,One piece will probably go to 800-900 episodes,thats it.There will be 7-9 more arcs.And One Piece doesent have to be at Raftel....Who knows One Piece might not even exist.What if One Piece is actually a lie and it means that the one who becomes PK is the one who will sail through all the seas and learn everything.the one too have the most freedom .Theres alot of mysteries and who knows......
    Except Whitebeard himself said One Piece does in fact exist right before his death. I doubt he said that just to be flashy.

On another note...I for one hope One Piece will go on for quite a long time.

Everyone's made some good assumptions on when One Piece will end, but I think One Piece's potential is limitless. There's just too many things Oda can do with it. I personally doubt the story will just abruptly end after Luffy reaches Raftel unless everyone achieves their dreams along the way which I can't really see happening. Nami's dream is to make a map of the world and this includes North Blue, West Blue and South Blue (assuming she already has a map of East Blue). And then there's Franky whose dream is to see Sunny sail every sea in the world as it's shipwright. No matter how much I try I can't see the story simply ending with a narrative going "Oh by the way, their dreams were fulfilled at some point afterwards too".

Just my two cents.

New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4