Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Outlines and Unfinished Stuff (14 shots from diverse Manga)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Outlines and Unfinished Stuff (14 shots from diverse Manga)

I just realised that a whole bunch of different stuff stockpiled on my harddrive. Some of it is quite old, some rather new, all of it is unfinished or just outlines.

I'ld like to finish these one days, but I've no idea if or when I'll do so for some of these, so I decided to just post them like they're now.
    If anyone might be interested in some outlines, just ask for them
    They're ordered chronologically based on when I started with the image: The first one is the first one I started with, the last one is the most recent project. Fortunatelly I could perfectly combine it with ordering it after manga, as the order of me reading manga and doing colourisations is quite parallel

Naruto (3)
    Spoiler show

Berserk (6) and one from Hellsing
    Spoiler show

Vinland Saga (2)
    Spoiler show

Planetes (2)
    Spoiler show

Tegami Bachi - Gauche Suede and Roda (Outlines)
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 12, 2010 at 02:49 PM.

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Giilshark's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outlines and Unfinished Stuff (14 shots from diverse Manga)

You're going down the right path, keep it up, you will improve.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

the astronaut looks sick. your not going to colourate him?

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    the astronaut looks sick. your not going to colourate him?
    Oh I will quite soon
    It's a panel like I didn't work on before, basically it has almost only white colours so it won't take many different layers, I guess it should be "relatively" simpel for most parts.

First of all I'll work on a page from Wolfen Crest though
    Spoiler show

I tryed to improve the outlines a little on this one, using size Jitter for a slightly different style - I figured it would suit the original ink style and the general "wild" style of Wolfen Crest - and an absurd file size (somewhat around 3000*4000) to be able to use pen sizes from three to six without having too massive outlines.
    I used the same things on the second shot of Fee.

Well, I guess outlines aren't the problems, it just often bores me after a while of colours. However, I'm having progress on some shots, the Gauche Suede one draws closer to be finished for example as I at least reached to the soft shading now.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 21, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

great colorisation, but
    u need to work on u r colors, you have to take colors from the anime or manga,
    and dont use blure eff,
    and good luck dud

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claymore-666 View Post
    great colorisation, but
    u need to work on u r colors, you have to take colors from the anime or manga,
    and dont use blure eff,
    and good luck dud
    Well, that's the point about it - they are not finally colourised. It would be good if you could name examples for bad colours - I know that I'm not good at picking the right ones for each environment, but some just look crappy because they are only base colours which will recieve several masks later on.

I don't use blur effect either. I guess you mean the soft shadings on some shots. I don't like only using a single simple shade. I rather aim for results like these:
    http://t33k3ss3lch3n.deviantart.com/...ream-187743561
    http://t33k3ss3lch3n.deviantart.com/...Jill-186948515
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 22, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Well, that's the point about it - they are not finally colourised. It would be good if you could name examples for bad colours - I know that I'm not good at picking the right ones for each environment, but some just look crappy because they are only base colours which will recieve several masks later on.

I don't use blur effect either. I guess you mean the soft shadings on some shots. I don't like only using a single simple shade. I rather aim for results like these:
    http://t33k3ss3lch3n.deviantart.com/...ream-187743561
    http://t33k3ss3lch3n.deviantart.com/...Jill-186948515
    hmm, firs clean ur page from HQ ,or make a line art, then chose u r colors base
    then try to work with pen tool, dnt use brushes
    just pen tool, soo .. if u work on somthing never been colored, use ur imagenation to pic a good colors,
    and dnt frgt, prcts make prfctn... simple colo is better
    ^^
    visit me http://yuma-adn.deviantart.com/

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I tryed to improve the outlines a little on this one, using size Jitter for a slightly different style - I figured it would suit the original ink style and the general "wild" style of Wolfen Crest - and an absurd file size (somewhat around 3000*4000) to be able to use pen sizes from three to six without having too massive outlines.
    I used the same things on the second shot of Fee.

Well, I guess outlines aren't the problems, it just often bores me after a while of colours. However, I'm having progress on some shots, the Gauche Suede one draws closer to be finished for example as I at least reached to the soft shading now.
    I'm quite interested.How did you make this lineart?It looks very dynamic.Care to explain or make a little tut?

Looking forward to the Gauche Suede one btw.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    I'm quite interested.How did you make this lineart?It looks very dynamic.Care to explain or make a little tut?

Looking forward to the Gauche Suede one btw.
    Thanks a lot, it's easy to explain:
    I just drew those outlines using Pen Tool with activating Simulate Pressure when drawing those paths. In Shape Dynamics I used Size Jitter with around 40% iirc. Other options which can be used are those of "Scattering".

Other than that, I changed my method for it a little. I used to first draw all paths using pen tool and then draw everything at once. But for this one, I drew every single sub path right after I adjusted it to the outlines.
    Also, I used a very very huge file size of approx 4000x3000 iirc, so I could use a large variety of brush sizes (around 5-6 for thick and 3-4 for thinner lines).
    I think it's also necessary to have such huge sizes for Jitter/Scattering to look decent.

And I finally started caring for the right use of simulate pressure. It seems the only viable option without using a tablet is, that it's thick in the middle and becomes smaller to the outsides, so for hair it's good if the "middle" is actually the upper part, so the outlines become thinner when reaching the thin end of the hair. I usually do that by not connecting the paths at the lower end of the hair, but in at the upper end instead, which looks like this then:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, it's easy to explain:
    I just drew those outlines using Pen Tool with activating Simulate Pressure when drawing those paths. In Shape Dynamics I used Size Jitter with around 40% iirc. Other options which can be used are those of "Scattering".

Other than that, I changed my method for it a little. I used to first draw all paths using pen tool and then draw everything at once. But for this one, I drew every single sub path right after I adjusted it to the outlines.
    Also, I used a very very huge file size of approx 4000x3000 iirc, so I could use a large variety of brush sizes (around 5-6 for thick and 3-4 for thinner lines).
    I think it's also necessary to have such huge sizes for Jitter/Scattering to look decent.

And I finally started caring for the right use of simulate pressure. It seems the only viable option without using a tablet is, that it's thick in the middle and becomes smaller to the outsides, so for hair it's good if the "middle" is actually the upper part, so the outlines become thinner when reaching the thin end of the hair. I usually do that by not connecting the paths at the lower end of the hair, but in at the upper end instead, which looks like this then:

Spoiler show
    Wha,thanks a lot!!
    One last question(sorry^^; ),how do you get those high-res raws?Or rather,how do you get your files this big?Hope you know what i mean.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Np
    I just use ordinary scans and increase the image size until it's so big, naturally the outlines will suit any resolution after being redrawn with pen tool.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlB's Avatar
    Country
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pieces here Roflkopt3r! Keep up the good work

New Reply