Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: MUDAZUMO NAKI KAIKAKU

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

MUDAZUMO NAKI KAIKAKU

Title: MUDAZUMO NAKI KAIKAKU (Reform with No Wasted Draws, The Legend of Koizumi)
    Genres: Seinen, Action, Comedy, Sports
    Author: Owada Hideki
    Artist: Owada Hideki
    Publication: Takeshobo; Serialized in Kindai Maajan and Kindai Maajan Original
    Start Date: 2008
    End Date: On going
    Number of chapters at review: 34
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 34

General Overview:

Mahjong. A game played with skill, cunning and above all, power. Prime Minister Koizumi Junichiro is recognized as one of the most skillful mahjong player and thus attracting a lot of challengers (world leaders that is). Thus, to protect the integrity of Japan, PM Koizumi Junichiro must duke it out against other world leaders at the mahjong table. This man, through mahjong, might just bring world peace.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9

The line work is very distinct, thick and solid. The manga, so far, has been easy to follow and read. The characters are drawn very similar to their real life counter parts although there are a few characters that I might disagree upon.

The layout is for the most part easy to follow. It's not extremely detailed such as other mangas where it could be confusing at times. It's a detailed manga in my opinion but not overly complex.

Plot: 10

Instead of a humble beginning, the manga starts out with some very high level action. From there, things continue onto absurd levels of insanity. I'm not too sure about how much action there is to mahjong, but Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku sure seems to make the impression that it's a game with lots of excitement!

Additionally, the mangaka doesn't waste time on much conversation. The events are pretty much punctual, not much talk and everything is straight down to business or mahjong I mean. There's no real plot build up as I read through it. The plot feels spontaneous.

Things don't make much sense, and personally, I feel like the author is totally BS'ing his way through the plot. So far, he's doing a damn good job if you ask me. Yes, it is absurd but that's what's so appealing about this manga.

Characters: 8

It's an interesting cast of world leaders that has come together in the name of mahjong. How should I say this, the world leaders are more bad-ass rendition of their real life selves. They appeal much more cooperative than they might appear to be in real life. Their intentions are also positive.

Theme: 7

The theme for this manga is really easy. It's about the greatness of former Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi, and how he will always be remembered as awesome. I'm not sure how great of a person he was, but he sure does have a great fan base.

Originality: 7

There has been other manga out there that has tried playing boards games such as Hikaru no Go, Shion no O, and a few others. Instead of portraying a sense of realism that other board game based manga has, Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku has gone well over that.

Overall: 10

The atmosphere creates so much "gar." It's not a serious read. The manga is well exaggerated and cliche. It is a good read and I recommend it to those that aren't looking for anything serious nor logical but something entertaining. This manga is just plain CRAZY!!!

Spoiler: Pictures from the First Chapter show
    Last edited by segua; March 18, 2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Status: Complete w/ Pictures

(Please read from right to left.)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply