Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Katsujinken vs Satsujinken

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Katsujinken vs Satsujinken

Katsujinken (活人拳) is literally the Fist of Life, the practicioners of these beliefs believes that killing is not the right path as that leads to the Path of the Asura. They believe in saving others than killing them.

Satsujinken (殺人拳) is literally the Fist of Killing, the practitioners of these beliefs believe that killing the opponent is the best way to use their martial arts skills.

These two fists are clearly in opposition to each other. Which do you think is better/right, and is a distinction always possible (ie can someone be a bit of both)? Is a practitioner of the Satsujinken necessarily a bad person?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Riverrun
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Katsujinken vs Satsujinken

IMO Katsujinken users are generally stronger and have more potential. The elder himself said that compassion along with heart to care about others allows Katsujinken users to reach a level all those Satsujinken users can't reach. Sakaki than explains that to have a strong heart is their (katsujinken) strength. It's been said multiple times that the heart is the most important thing in battle.
    Last edited by En Yang Ji; January 20, 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this is just my own argument/view, independant of what's said in the manga:

I fall on (agree with) Satsujinken, because:

not killing, is a restraint on your full potential of your fighting ability. so, as a restraint, it's inferior.

I do agree that the "heart" (motivation, resolve, determination, the "mind" or mental power, will power, stubbornness, and etc) is a major the source of your ability level. The military and sports proves this, a "strong mind can accomplish any physical task". It's all about your mental strength, and almost nothing about directly your physical ability. This matches with science and reality, as the brain can enhance the body's abilities (as it is the brain that controls your entire body), even to literally superhuman levels, as seen in emergencies.

However, the Katsujinken doesn't have a monopoly on this. Satsujinken can have a just as motivated/determined/etc "heart" as Katsujinken does.

--------------------

of course almost 100% if not 100% of our stories fall on (agree with) and have the Katsujinken as being the ones who are more powerful/superior/triumphant/victorious. sighs disappointedly at the prominent cliche-ness and boring-ness of this ancient-endearing trend of ours in our telling/writing of stories.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 21, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Leroid's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    not killing, is a restraint on your full potential of your fighting ability. so, as a restraint, it's inferior.
    The ability to show restraint is very important during fighting. Did you ever see a boxer win a match just by wildly swinging his fist at the opponent. Yeah, neither did I.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Riverrun
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the elder. I think Satsujinken users are limited regarding the strength of their heart. He said to Kenichi, that having enough strength to protect your family is the same as having enough strength to kill your enemies. What Kenichi really wanted was to have enough strength to protect his family while not causing more harm than he had to and that's already at the level of the strongest.

It's harder to look out for the well being of the people that are trying to harm you than to kill them. It's even harder not to get angry at those people, and to put in the effort to try an understand them. IMO It would take a lot of patience, wisdom and mental strength to go in the same direction as Katsujinken users. IMO that's what compassion is rooted in, patience, and understanding and those qualities make for a strong mind. I think the Katsujinken philosophy requires more strength of heart than following the Satsujinken philosophy where you can simply kill what you don't like instead of dealing with it.

- I use to meditate a bit, and I only could take it so far when I was negative. I guess most of the reason why i agree with the elder is my experience with meditation. Meditation is a way to strengthen the mind and you can only take it so far if you have strong negative emotions.
    Last edited by En Yang Ji; January 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say that at least in the manga for now Katsujinken users are stronger than Satsujinken users. Also I'd say that it's really difficult not only to fight and win, but also to not kill your opponent. Also Elder really said the best about the "heart" that is the strength of Katsujinken

New Reply