Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Kenichi is a must because...

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenichi is a must because...

HSDK has its own section because of an consistent discussion in the threads. I am going to be honest when I say that I don't read this manga but I am always interested to do so when I am convinced. So my questions are easy:

What do you like about the manga? How did you come in contact with it? Why should people read this manga?

Convince and conquer me
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SaitoSpike's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kenichi is a must because...

because there is simply no other manga that mixes comedy and action to such a level, Naruto and Bleach have their moments but the comedy in HSDK is top Notch ALL THE TIME! and the action is just as good as the previous 2 as well

Only one thing stirs my emotion. Aku. Soku. Zan. For the sake of my justice alone!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner FANtomCore's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SaitoSpike View Post
    because there is simply no other manga that mixes comedy and action to such a level, Naruto and Bleach have their moments but the comedy in HSDK is top Notch ALL THE TIME! and the action is just as good as the previous 2 as well
    Totally agree with your point about the comedy aspect, but not so much with the action. Naruto and Bleach have much more intense action going on. Just compare the anime versions as proof of this. But what Kenichi lacks in action (not that it's truly lacking, just Naruto and Bleach have more of it), it makes up for with Ecchi. I will say it exceeds Naruto and Bleach in that category for sure.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad that there's a manga like this, with actual fighting instead of shooting lightning and fireballs. Yeah, I guess you could say that Naruto or Bleach have more action, at times, but it depends what you like best. I myself find Bleach fight 2-dimensional and boring, especially in this last arc. There's no variety. It's just power-up this, shunpo there and cut that. Naruto on the other hand is a lot more tactical, but as of the second part, there's more spells and less hand-to-hand.

Kenichi on the other hand has a great balance of straight out fighting and tactical thinking. There are a lot of different fighting styles and Kenchi has to adapt a lot of times.

There are no cheap power-ups, Kenichi works hard for every bit of improvement. And then, just as you start to think he's really strong now, you get to see his masters in action again.

I'm not gonna lie and say it all makes sense, because some of the stuff they pull out is straight out crazy. For example, there is no doubt in my mind that Hayato could beat every last fucking ninja in Naruto and all of their ancestors, including Rikudou Senin

There are tons of interesting and fun characters. Every last one of them has got at least some character development. There are all sorts of running gags and aside from One Piece, there's no other manga I had so much fun reading.
    I think I started reading when there were 120 chapters out or so. I swallowed them in 2 days. I could have done it in 1, but I wanted it to last

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

HSD:K is about a good but weak kid-teen, Kenichi, who has a chance encounter with a pretty blue eyed, blond haired, and very "blessed" girl, which completely changes his life. As this girl is a martial arts expert (when she fights, she's in a tight body suit no less, and she's got a great bottom as well as being "blessed", hehe), and in trying to "hook up with her", he soon finds himself in her world of fighting, where he's forcedly challenged to put his good character to the test, fighting for what he believes in. Getting trained in martial arts through pure hard work, as he has no natural talent, by the girl's many masters each at their own style of martial arts. Kenichi is a bit like Naruto in that he never gives up and won't back down when called a coward (reminiscient nostalgia of McFly in Back to the Future movie series, but its when he's called chicken in it instead of coward, for us old timers).

HSD:K is filled with life lessons, great comedy (Kenichi's little sister is a riot and his mother is awesome in how she takes care of... I mean "cares" for her husband/Kenichi's father) both non-ecchi and ecchi, which is great fanservice especially in Miu ("the girl" I talked about earlier), Shigure, and Renka. Kenichi's extreme training is also hilariously funny as well.

Girls will really like HSD:K too, and not only for the (non-ecchi) delightful comedy, as it also has very strong female characters too along with the male characters. Kisara (who does have a flat chest, as not all the girls are "blessed") is very respectable and admirable, along with Miu, Shigure, and Renka as strong female characters too.

Each character, especially Kenichi's masters, have their own very unique personalities along with their specific martial art. Abachi is hilarious as well, as he has a hard time controlling his power, Kenichi fears training with him the most, so many funny moments, hehe.

Also, there's Kenichi's friend Nejima as well and his Shinpaku Alliance, he provides a lot of the comedy as well, I especially love how Kenichi's masters, Shigure, deals with him, hehe.

It has its ecchi in at least 3 "blessed" girls, and fanservice, but it's got a really great quality of non-sexual comedy as well.

It's an extremely enjoyable and highly recommended manga/anime.

It's really fun to see Kenichi grow strong in his fighting/martial arts ability though his character doesn't really develop, because he already has the good character already, he just needs the power (from learning martial arts) to put it into practice/action.

There's also fanservice for you ladies as well, lots of ripped muscle, if you're into that stuff... So, the fanservice goes both ways, for both genders, it's not purely ecchi just for us guys. Unrealistically muscle-ripped guys in thongs is definately not fanservice oriented towards heterosexual males, ARGH, UGHN!, YUCK, EWW, lol.

I personally like Shigure (the weapon expert master of Kenichi's) a lot (as she's a silent, but actionable type of person/character, which is like me myself. I can relate to her well), I especially loved it when Miu gave Shigure a spoon to use instead of her Katana to train Kenichi to dodge weapons for his first time, and Shigure uses the spoon to slice open/off Kenichi's and Miu's clothes with that spoon. ROFLs!

This is at its core a martial arts manga/anime, so there's no flashy "supernatural/magical" powers/abilites and fights/battles like in most shounen, like Bleach and Naruto. The martial arts is pretty realistic too, though it does exaggerate it a "bit" (superhuman strength, doing impossible stuff like walking on your index or whatever fingers!), laughs, but that's good as it makes the fights/battles more interesting for us.

Frankly, HSD:K is a lot like Fullmetal Alchemist, it's done in a near perfect way, that appeals to both genders very well; mixing action, comedy, relationships, and ecchi to great effect. So, if you like Fullmetal Alchemist, then give HSD:K a try, as you'll be glad you did so!
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 21, 2011 at 04:31 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, when I started reading, I liked how it starts off really basic, with characters you *might* even come across in real life. Of course then the masters came into the picture and the series took a different turn, but it's always entertained me

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes humor in Kenichi is top notched. I think only Gintama makes me laugh more. And beside what every one else said another great point of this manga is : Nijima
    At first I hated this character and now he has become one of my favorite. His evading techniques are hilarious and as much as Kenichi become stronger, his alien powers become more and more terrifying

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I did talk about him, though it's buried in my "wall of text".

from my post above:

"Also, there's Kenichi's friend Nejima as well and his Shinpaku Alliance, he provides a lot of the comedy as well, I especially love how Kenichi's master, Shigure, deals with him, hehe." -HK
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Leroid's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

At first HSD Kenichi didn't seem to me to be any different from other fighting shonen mangas. But with each read chapter I started to notice some differences. Some cliches that I've seen in many other fighting shonen mangas (that started to annoy me quite a while ago) were absent.

Some of the reasons I like HSD Kenichi:

No1 - Kenichi does not have a dark and troubled past. It's a common trend for a fighting shonen mangas to have a protagonist with something "angsty" in his past (dead family member, domestic abuse... take your pick). The worst thing you can say about Kenichi's past is that he used to be bullied at school and that's something pretty much nobody remembers anymore. He's got a normal family, friends (well as normal as the Rule of Funny allows ) etc. While reading this manga it was hard for me to believe how normal Kenichi seemed.

No2 - When faced with the sight of female fanservice Kenichi will not cover his eyes and scream so hard that his wounds reopen, or just look with the clueless look on his face. He will be very "happy".

No3 -Related to No2. Kenichi's behavior is mostly treated like a normal for a guy of his age. Girls do not rush to brand Kenichi as a pervert for going through puberty.

No4 - This manga is funny, period.

No5 - Nijima, just Nijima.
    Last edited by Leroid; January 20, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hearing, that the manga mostly on top 10 of most viewing mangas is and I have read first the summary on onemanga.com. So thats why, I´m starting reading the grat chapter.

Here are some reasons, why the manga are great:
    1. Story development ren´t uphill and downhill situation like Naruto, One Piece and other famouse mangas
    2. "Kenichi does not have a dark and troubled past." - Thats the reason why I love this manga.
    3. Kenichi is man ho dosen´t close his eyes from a naked women onyl from a naked man xD.
    4. Funny character and funny periodes include that^^
    5. The Devil and funny Nijima!!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SaitoSpike's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Razh, on the action....this is what i meant by the action is equal to (if not often better) Naruto and Bleach depending on your taste and also probably AGE i mean there's a bunch of powers flyin around in the 2 big ones but with Kenichi its trully one for fans of martial arts tho like you stated it is sometimes exaggerated for the most part its real fighting and i also completely love how you get to see how much crap and suffering Kenichi has to go through to reach those new levels

i completely agree about bleach the action used to be good but now its jus shumpo, here, sonido there sword meets sword....the end there's alot more detail in Kenichi in contrast and i love that about it

now this isnt to pit them against each other but when you're talking Shonen its kinda hard not to compare to the 2 headed monster at the top (Bleach and Naruto)

personally tho for me with Shonen currently it goes

1)Naruto
    2)Kenichi
    3)One Piece
    4)Bleach

one thing i really like about HSDK is that it started off simple enough like Naruto and like Naruto the story has gotten deeper, the characters have gotten more mature, and it has transitioned from just being funny and action to there actually being angst of sorts or drama if you will (with the recent fight and Apachai ****spoiler****) that was crazy to me the growth has been great and it keeps getting better thats one thing that dissapoints me alot with Bleach...pretty much until jus the last few chapters it felt like Bleach hadnt changed at all or shown any growth since well, pretty much since it started

supporting character growth has been really good too although not quite at Naruto level (which lets face it has a massive head start) the side characters are getting slowly well built up and unlike bleach you dont feel like these supporting characters are shown once and then jus kinda neglected or jus completely ignored afterwards

HSDK FTW!!!!

p.s.: and as much as i love the Ecchi in there its also most likely the reason why it might never receive the same commercial success as the big 2 but hey we dont mind because it sorta keeps it like an underground gem of sorts...its not like its straight hentai...its innocent enough and fact is with all that crazy fighting it actually makes sense that they all end up half clothed

(lol listen to me tryin to justify the ecchi haha...ok i give sometimes its jus purely eye candy for the guys!) lol
    Last edited by SaitoSpike; January 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Only one thing stirs my emotion. Aku. Soku. Zan. For the sake of my justice alone!

New Reply