Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo

View Poll Results: Best Male Lead

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Berserk: Guts / Gatsu

44 28.39%
  • Naruto: Naruto Uzumaki

27 17.42%
  • Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO): Onizuka Eiikichi

33 21.29%
  • Psyren: Yoshina Ageha

18 11.61%
  • Gintama: Sakata Gintoki

33 21.29%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Male Lead

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Male Lead

Best Male Lead Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Male Lead Category.

Spoiler: The nominations and their "vote counts" show

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

Spoiler: The STARs' (Scanlators, Translaters, Artists, and Reviewers) choice of winner(s) show

Spoiler: The Moderators' (Red, Blue, Green, and Pink) choice of winner(s) show

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Spoiler: The Winner of Best Male Lead show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 31, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Male Lead

I'll gave my opinion on each character:

Berserk: Guts / Gatsu is a good character: strong in mind & body. He has gone through so much, it's hard to not at least sympathize for the guy

Naruto: I liked the character from the beginning of the manga: a dropout hated by everyone & a funny dumbass. He fought against destiny. But the character I like was destroyed by several things:
    - He is the son of the hokage. So, in fact, his current power was his destiny from the start ...
    - He cares way too much about sasuke.
    - Rasengan ... rasengan ... & rasengan. His fighting style was ingenious at first (vs zabuza for example) ... now it's mainly raw power

Onizuka: the greatest teacher in history. One of the funniest characters of all time. And he is a true main character. The manga simply can not exist without him. It's just impossible to do even some chapters without him. So, my vote is for him

Yoshina Ageha: I don't know how he can be a finalist. He is just typical shounen material. Nothing wrong with that ... but nothing to make him a top-5 finalist. Ageha over Munsu or Alucard ... I have trouble to accept that

Gintoki: funny character ... I don't have much to say about him.
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 10, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll give a short opinion on the characters I know too.

Guts - Okay, I've only read about 2 volumes, and I have heard the perception of him greatly changes after reader learns more of his past. This far however, I find him very boring. Just a dark berserker with a big sword who kills monsters.

Naruto Uzumaki - Now, early on I liked him. He was easy to symphatize with right from the start. He also has more charachter developement than an avarage shonen hero. But pretty soon he got annoying, I can't really say what it is. His obsession with Sasuke maybe, or the bad jokes. He just annoys me. And he the damn main character, but still there are dudes way more interesting and more attention stealing than him.

Onizuka Eiikichi - Now here is my vote. As said, he really is the lead, as the series wouldn't work at all without him. He is funny as hell, and has a great attitude on life. Never mind book smartness and high IQ's, this guy teaches what really matters. Greatest teacher indeed.

Yoshina Ageha - I don't dislike him, but I don't find him particulary fascinating either. He is a solid shonen hero, with a damn cool super power. His chemistry with Amamiya is great, but this is a solo contest.

Sakata Gintoki - Haven't read/watch much Gintama. He seems like a fun and cool guy, with nice attitude to live. However, in comparison to Onizuka he seems shallow. Also I haven't seen him have any real flaws, expect lazyness which is pretty minor.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Guts - Okay, I've only read about 2 volumes, and I have heard the perception of him greatly changes after reader learns more of his past. This far however, I find him very boring. Just a dark berserker with a big sword who kills monsters.
    It's a legitimate opinion after the first two volumes indeed, even I have to agree with this (though I think he's not that boring with such an amount of twisted evilness as a protagonist at that point of time ), but as you said, the interesting thing is how he became that way and what happens to him later on.

I have to admit that I do not know three of the nominees, but I still vote for Guts. In comparison of all the stories I've read, he's still an exeptional protagonist.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I'll gave my opinion on each character:
    Yoshina Ageha: I don't know how he can be a finalist. He is just typical shounen material. Nothing wrong with that ... but nothing to make him a top-5 finalist. Ageha over Munsu or Alucard ... I have trouble to accept that.
    well Psyren ended recently and some people may still be hyped about the manga (nothing wrong with that). I agree with you, Yoshina shouldn't be in here. He's a solid shonen character in a solid shonen manga but both are nothing special.

My vote goes to Guts because I can't imagine the manga without him and because he's just epic he has changed so much over time and it's fascinating to see his development.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Castriota's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

wow yoshina actually made it as a finalist in the best male lead? thats awesome. he was pretty cool but since the manga was rushed to a finish, his development was kinda crappy on how he jsut had to mass power.

my vote like others has to go for guts. hes the go to guy in tough situations without regard for his own body. after most of the trauma, physically and emotionally, he had to go through, he started to develop from that dark berserker.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Guts all the way...waaaay more fit for the description of Male Lead, then any other character...he has a strong start, but even when he becomes the underdog, he still prevails in the end, but right after that he falls back to being the underdog again...

So solid character development, though a bit boring when fighting...even if he had a power boost recently...

The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto , people that say that naruto is annoying is people that dont really understand nothing of the history , Naruto was like Sasuke , but he resisted to go to the dark side. Althought he was always competing with him and the 2 didnt seem to get along he always loved Sasuke as a brother and he wanted to be like him. Sasuke went to the bad side and Naruto cant simply just walk away from it, he likes Sasuke to much so he wont do that.

So plz dont call him annoying i would just hate if naruto had give up on sasuke.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm shocked Goku didn't make it in here, he's a prototype for the dumb, happy-go-lucky, morally invincible protagonist, like Naruto, Luffy, Natsu, and a couple others. I'm going to go with Guts, I guess... he just oozes BA.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Darkp's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Guts all the way , there is not many protagonist who lost "his one eye , hand , girlfriend ,his comrades to his best friend" and stand against freaky demons without any kind of special power (well yea he has a armor now but that is just working like pain killer : D ).

Edit : On second thought ,I had to give my credits to onizuka too , he is one of hell character he is second in my book at this list .
    Last edited by Darkp; January 15, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darkp View Post
    Guts all the way , there is not many protagonist who lost "his one eye , hand , girlfriend ,his comrades to his best friend" and stand against freaky demons without any kind of special power (well yea he has a armor now but that is just working like pain killer : D ).

*(off-topic)*

Clare from Claymore, cough cough... though she's a female and not a male, lol

(see Best Female Lead Category Thread, if interested in voting for her, hehe)

her list of "losses" and "sufferings" far exceeds Guts' and she's up against far more powerful "demons" than Guts ever was as well

Spoiler: Clare's "losses and sufferings" show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 16, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    *(off-topic)*

Clare from Claymore, cough cough... though she's a female and not a male, lol

(see Best Female Lead Category Thread, if interested in voting for her, hehe)

her list of "losses" and "sufferings" far exceeds Guts' and she's up against far more powerful "demons" than Guts ever was as well

Spoiler: Clare's "losses and sufferings" show
    I like claymore. I liked it so much that I read a manga from the same mangaka (story about a extremely nice guy with really evil looks , I don't remember the name) just because the mangaka did claymore afterwards.

BUT Even though a lot is happening to Claire, she don't seem to be fucked up mentally. Guts is a lot more affected & it feels more real when you read it.

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    Clare is the most "disturbed" of all characters, though Priscilla is obviously the most "crazy", imo - Priscilla's "mad/insane" or just outright uber cruelly evil, lol. Galatea's own words about Clare: ~"No, wait, the one with the tiniest yoki is the most disturbed of all, something uber traumatic must have happened to her in the past". Irene's own words about Clare: ~"You're so calm and expressionless on the outside, but your heart is a raging inferno, you'll never be able to fully learn the Quick Sword because it requires a calm heart".

And again, there isn't that many readers who cares about raki. Raki is the weakest link in the manga. Casca on the other hand ...

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    He has some positive points, but they are "drowned out" by his annoying crying and helpessness while as a child, well at least until the Ophelia incident anyways. However, he's now an adult, and no longer that annoying and helpless child that he was earlier in the manga. Well... he's in another bind now... hehe

Edit to answer HegemonKhan: 'calm and expressionless' , the two words used to define Claire. That's exactly why it's much more easy to relate to Guts. Guts feels human: anger, distress, ... About raki, he can do what he want: he will always remain that annoying kid to me.
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 17, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Gintoki,but i'm somehow regretting it.He always seemed to perfect and goes from chapter to chapter lecturing people like it was nothing.

I'm still dissapointed in the fact that Kenji from 20th Century Boys didn't make it into the final round

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    I voted for Gintoki,but i'm somehow regretting it.He always seemed to perfect and goes from chapter to chapter lecturing people like it was nothing.

I'm still dissapointed in the fact that Kenji from 20th Century Boys didn't make it into the final round
    Well he wasn't really a lead...I mean he did start the war against friend and he did solve it all, but I think the fact that he went missing makes him forgettable as a Lead character...Shogun strikes more as a lead character, than Kenji...at least for me

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post

I voted for Onizuka, he's far from perfect, but acknowledgeds that himself. That's a lot. He still always manages to save the day and lecture people, but not like it was nothing. His teachings really carry positive messages.

I also miss Kenji on the list. He was great, I think he shared some similar traits with Onizuka, the latter just being wilder, extreme and simple. Kenji really is also very admirable.

Edit:

Kenji is the lead of part I, Otcho of part II and Kenji comes back for the title in part III. I consider them both lead characters of the manga. Also,
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Ustegius; January 16, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast