Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Best Female Supporting Character

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Major General Olivier Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist

55 50.46%
  • Yūko Ichihara from XXX Holic

21 19.27%
  • Schierke from Berserk

13 11.93%
  • Fee of Planetes

11 10.09%
  • Sumiko Sumimura from Kekkaishi

9 8.26%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Female Supporting Character

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Female Supporting Character

Major General Olivia Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist

Yūko Ichihara from XXX Holic

Schierke from Berserk

Fee of Planetes

Sumiko Sumimura from Kekkaishi

All these girls are incredibly awesome for different reasons and they all deserved to be nominated for this category, but unfortunately there can be only one winner and she is….

Major General Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist
    Spoiler show

Congratulations to Olivier Armstrong!!! She is an amazing character and an extraordinary woman who completely deserved to be crown the Queen of this award category. In fact, she rocks so much that she is also the one who the MH moderators chose as the winner. All Hail the Queen!

Now the MH STARs (scanlators, translators, artists and reviewers) also chose Olivier as the winner; however they decided that she should share the throne with another fantastic character . I’m referring to Schierke from Berserk

Thank you to all the members who participated by voting for their favorite girl and for helping us choose the best girl for this award category!
    Last edited by destiny4ever; January 31, 2011 at 03:02 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Seborga
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Female Supporting Character

Sumiko Sumimura
    Im not a fan of Kekkaishi, the manga is ok, but nothing special.
    Sumiko is to generic

Schierke
    I like her, but its not enough for best supporting character(that would be kjaskar imo).

Olivia Armstrong
    One of the best Characters in FMA. Coldheaded Woman with Berserk-attitude. It was a close call but i gave my vote to:

Fee
    Shes one of my alltime favourite female characters.
    Her war for smoking was so funny and affecting at the same time and especially the episode with her uncle was the best chapter in PlanetES(and they're all awesome)

Im not reading XXXHolic

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Olivia Armstrong is not the correct name. Her real name is OLIVIER Armstrong and honestly it's kind of important in order to understand her.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    Fee
    Shes one of my alltime favourite female characters.
    Her war for smoking was so funny and affecting at the same time and especially the episode with her uncle was the best chapter in PlanetES(and they're all awesome)
    I was so surprised seeing her making it through the nominations, and very happy about it as well as I share your opinion here
    The story arc devoted to her is really great imo, I love her character changes and the path she takes.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The looks
    Spoiler show
    & The spirit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuko
    Good and bad are human concepts, so something that is not human cannot be classified as neither good nor bad.

or

Everybody relates to others and shares something with them. That's why we can never truly be free.That's what makes us feel joy, sadness and love.
    Guess who I'm voting for.

Adding spoiler tags because of the picture size ~ Koen
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 12, 2011 at 05:58 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Olivier Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist.

blond battle babes from the past/history, norse's/viking's "valkyrie" battlemaids

she was doing the same stuff, that Roy Mustang was doing: scheming/plotting supporting helping "behind the scenes".
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Yuuko of xxxHolic even though i'm having a hard time to choose between her and Olivia Armstrong from FMA.
    Both are good supporting female characters but i guess Yuuko was my best choice because something about Yuuko's role (as well as her existence) made a great contribution for the main characters development on the manga she appeared into. As timeless as she looks, even on crossovers to other clamp's manga series, she always has been a good help for the main and supporting casts even she shows up for just a few page/s.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote is biased because I don't know three participants: Fee, Sumiko and Yuko. Looks like I should at least give "Planetes" a try because I love "Vinland Saga".

My vote goes to Schierke because she's extremely helpful to Guts and the group (Guts wouldn't have been able to protect them and maybe even himself without her) + she has an interesting character, going between childish and and grown-up.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ryzvonusef's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    Sumiko Sumimura
    Im not a fan of Kekkaishi, the manga is ok, but nothing special.
    Sumiko is to generic
    I wonder if you are up to date with the manga? In the latest arc we learn the real significance of Sumiko.

I voted for her because she is not like other lame manga women who go "Our situation sucks, but I can't do anything about it, *sigh* guess I have to leave it to the men"

No, she goes and finds a way to stop the menace for once and for all, and actually does something about it! She didn't stay in the kitchen and let her children suffer the same fate her family has faced for 400 years, she realised she had the power to change the situation, and uses it to good purpose.

Sumiko, for proving that women in manga can do a lot more than just cheering the men on the sidelines, you get my vote.
    Subscribe to /r/TowerOfGod on Reddit.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9uvneTUQ31rdpluro1_400.jpg
    ----
    Because Terrorism sucks:http://sn.im/10qi3g
    ----
    Apple is Evil: http://sn.im/10qirj
    And so is Google:http://sn.im/10qirn

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryzvonusef View Post
    I wonder if you are up to date with the manga? In the latest arc we learn the real significance of Sumiko.

I voted for her because she is not like other lame manga women who go "Our situation sucks, but I can't do anything about it, *sigh* guess I have to leave it to the men"

No, she goes and finds a way to stop the menace for once and for all, and actually does something about it! She didn't stay in the kitchen and let her children suffer the same fate her family has faced for 400 years, she realised she had the power to change the situation, and uses it to good purpose.

Sumiko, for proving that women in manga can do a lot more than just cheering the men on the sidelines, you get my vote.
    You're talking like you resume manga females to Hinata/Sakura/Ino ... but all 5 candidates in the poll are strong female characters who don't need men. None in this poll are waiting in the kitchen.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    None in this poll are waiting in the kitchen.
    That's an interesting part about Fee by the way
    Not that she would commonly spend time in a kitchen, but she has a family at least, and some interesting interaction/relation with them.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ryzvonusef's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    You're talking like you resume manga females to Hinata/Sakura/Ino ... but all 5 candidates in the poll are strong female characters who don't need men. None in this poll are waiting in the kitchen.
    It was partly my fault, I wrongly assumed that all categories were shounen. However:
    Planetes: Seinen
    Berserk: Seinen
    XXX Holic: Seinen
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Shounen
    Kekkaishi: Shounen

Now do you see the problem? Three of the contestants are from another manga world, with different rules of the trade (interestingly, no Shojo/Josei). But how common is it in Shounen for a strong female, more over a mother?

The only other competitor in this category is Olivia(er?), and while I think she was equally awesome, she isn't a housewife in Japan, she is an Unmarried women in an "western" Nazi-Germany look-alike culture, with different social values, and importantly, no "family" duty to perform.

But Sumiko did have a home, three kids and a kitchen to look after, yet, instead of just staying at home and risk her kids getting killed in some god-forsaken duty that had already orphaned her neighbours, she is set out to solve this for once and for all.

I guess Seinen is more open to the possibilities, but most popular Shounen series expect its women to sit and watch while the shounen hero and his gang of awesome men make the darkness go away. Which is why I like Kekkaishi, here women also form an important part of the story.

YMMV, of course.
    Subscribe to /r/TowerOfGod on Reddit.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9uvneTUQ31rdpluro1_400.jpg
    ----
    Because Terrorism sucks:http://sn.im/10qi3g
    ----
    Apple is Evil: http://sn.im/10qirj
    And so is Google:http://sn.im/10qirn

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BleachOD's Avatar
    Kneeling @ My Ichigo Shrine, Thanking My Lucky Stars For The Day I Met Ichigo
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I vote none of them! Tohyama Haruka from Until Death Do Us Part should have been considered. She's one kick ass loli. Why is there so little nominees?

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
    I vote none of them! Tohyama Haruka from Until Death Do Us Part should have been considered. She's one kick ass loli. Why is there so little nominees?
    We held a round of nominations before this, and using those nominations, only the 5 characters with the most nominations/votes proceeded to this round

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Olivier Armstrong is the female version of Roy Mustang, in fact they were in competition with each other in who could help humanity the most "behind the scenes" while appearing loyal to Central and it's Humunculi. So, you if voted for Roy Mustang for the Best Male Supporting Character, then by default you should also be choosing for Olivier Armstrong for this category, Best Female Supporting Character.

the only difference, is that Roy loves Riza, and Olivier loves.... probably her sword, lol
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 17, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast