Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Best Costume Design

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bleach

38 35.51%
  • D.Gray-Man

17 15.89%
  • Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

11 10.28%
  • Hitman Reborn

24 22.43%
  • Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

17 15.89%
New Reply

Thread: Best Costume Design

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Costume Design

The nominees
    Bleach

D.Gray-Man

Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Hitman Reborn

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

Hello again, we arrived to another category that focuses on the art of the mangaka. This time it's about Costume Design. Many interesting nominees have taken part in this competition and this category is no exception.
    However the winner stomped all other contestants, and it was proven by the staff, STAR and community picks that it is the best. The winner is:
    Bleach
    Spoiler show

Kubo's art is the favourite of many people, and this time is not an exception either. But not just the regular designs were the ones, that made Bleach the winner here, but the fashionable styles that he gives to his characters on the manga's covers.

Thanks a lot for the votes and for the overall participation!
    Last edited by benelori; January 31, 2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Costume Design

I had my doubts between D.Gray-man and KHR. Bleach? Yeah, for some none related colour pages but every shinigami has very similar clothes. I voted for KHR because the Maffia suits in which the vongola family has been showed many times is a win. It is realistic, business like, something you see a lot.

Oh and Hibari's latest new costume design is epic win.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Castriota's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hitman reborn does have some of the best style i have seen compared to others. no outfit has been the same, other than the regular black suits of course. every character has been seen in different clothing as well.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Bleach.

From just Ichigo alone, Bleach deserves my vote.

Ichigo has some (Soul Reaper, Hollow, and Zanpaku forms+outfits/costumes) of the most if not the most "Badass/Awesome" outfits/costumes, of all time!
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from separate colorspreads, Bleach IMO has pretty repetitive costumes. Mainly shinigami robes and school uniforms. The few others aren't anything too spectacular. I'm not saying Bleach has bad costume designing, some of the powerups look darn cool (yes, I count weaponry and masks as costume), but overall it's bland, with only a few standout designs.

D. Gray-man ha a bit more variance, but not that much. And I don't like the current style it is drawn is, which also affects my opinion on costumes.

Kuroshitsuji I haven't read, but based on the little I have seen is very Victorian and thus very marvelous, with a little twist every here and there.

I however voted Reborn. I like how the main characters all have very individual styles, which can be steel seen through even when they change clothes between arcs. Also the Vongola gears are just damn cool. Also as it is about mafia; suits. Suits always look good and classy, and I think Amano does a great job of making suits stand out, those don't all look the same. Well most do, but anyways.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with Ustegius about Bleach. Not counting the color pages and some of the chapter covers, there are a few characters in the actual manga with rather interesting outfits, but for the most part, most characters have a very uniform style of dress.

I voted for Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. CLAMP has penchant for coming up with elaborate and creative outfits, and they did so in great measure in TRC where the main cast visited various worlds in the CLAMP universe, with each world having unique styles of dress and cultures.

It is the only manga of the choices available from which I would actually want to buy the clothes worn by some of the characters in real life and could realistically see on a real-life runway. Seriously, if CLAMP ever wanted to stop with manga business, I imagine that they could easily find a place in the fashion world.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BleachOD's Avatar
    Kneeling @ My Ichigo Shrine, Thanking My Lucky Stars For The Day I Met Ichigo
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I don't know what you guys are looking at. Bleach get's my vote. Kubo is one bad mofo when it comes to character design. Give a take a few. Zomari's release was because he has a sense of humor. If a character resembles another character in looks or clothes, or weapons we usually find out they are connected to each other. He's so bad ass he uses outfits and weapons to foreshadow events.

Seriously Nurararihyon no Magno is the only thing that I have seen to date that comes close to Kubo's badassery. Bleach PWNS ALL

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also voting Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, CLAMP is really good with their costume design. Characters usually have different outfits every other chapter or so and its always a different variety of clothes too. The amout of outfits and different styles that they can draw is amazing, nothing else can really come close

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

The nominees
    Bleach

D.Gray-Man

Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Hitman Reborn

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

Hello again, we arrived to another category that focuses on the art of the mangaka. This time it's about Costume Design. Many interesting nominees have taken part in this competition and this category is no exception.
    However the winner stomped all other contestants, and it was proven by the staff, STAR and community picks that it is the best. The winner is:
    Bleach
    Spoiler show

Kubo's art is the favourite of many people, and this time is not an exception either. But not just the regular designs were the ones, that made Bleach the winner here, but the fashionable styles that he gives to his characters on the manga's covers.

Thanks a lot for the votes and for the overall participation!

New Reply