Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: Best Villain

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naruto: Orochimaru

30 21.58%
  • Monster: Johann Liebert

25 17.99%
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Father

32 23.02%
  • Berserk: Griffith

35 25.18%
  • D. Gray Man: The Millennium Earl

17 12.23%
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Villain

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Villain

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Part 2 Orochimaru wasn't very different at all...even if the story got shifted and focused on Uchihas and in the end he was trolled twice, that shouldn't affect his character as a whole...his attitude remained the same, his goals were the same...
    Another thing is that Part 2 has other villains in focus and Orochimaru needed to be eliminated...at least that's how I see it
    No, he looked worse in Part II. In Part I, he looked epic when he fought against Sandaime Hokage despite using his summons for the majority of the fight and did decent to pretty well against Tsunade, Jiraiya, Naruto, and Shizune without arms even though he had Kabuto. In Part II, the only saving grace was him willing to fight Kyuubi and how he wasn't killed (though that's because of his real body really being that of a snake <_<).

In Part II, we see him get owned by two Uchiha so easily and quickly, and then after he has a chance to escape and get Sasuke's body, what does he do? He boasts and talks and gets sealed pretty quickly... even Tenten wasn't defeated this quickly and easily. Orochimaru looked weak and stupid. That event in Part II killed his character in my opinion. It doesn't help that Sasuke owned him in his own dimension.

At this point, Tobi's the better villain as he really did influence the events into what it is now. That single night not only took two of Naruto's parents away from him, but it robbed Konoha of its strongest hokage of the time, reduced Konoha's fighting power due to their shinobi being killed, implicated Uchiha and thus leading to their demise, and even made Naruto into a jinchuuriki where the risk of Kyuubi breaking out was higher than being sealed in Kushina. One may also argue that Tobi played a bigger part in making Sasuke what he was before learning the "truth" than Orochimaru, who merely reminded Sasuke of his true goal.

But, even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had on him, so there's somewhat a bright side. Kabuto's all that remains of Orochimaru's legacy now.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kristy's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to vote for Griffith as my best Villain character in voting poll. As he is not faithful character. converted good to bad.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member street_san's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    No, he looked worse in Part II. In Part I, he looked epic when he fought against Sandaime Hokage despite using his summons for the majority of the fight and did decent to pretty well against Tsunade, Jiraiya, Naruto, and Shizune without arms even though he had Kabuto. In Part II, the only saving grace was him willing to fight Kyuubi and how he wasn't killed (though that's because of his real body really being that of a snake <_<).

In Part II, we see him get owned by two Uchiha so easily and quickly, and then after he has a chance to escape and get Sasuke's body, what does he do? He boasts and talks and gets sealed pretty quickly... even Tenten wasn't defeated this quickly and easily. Orochimaru looked weak and stupid. That event in Part II killed his character in my opinion. It doesn't help that Sasuke owned him in his own dimension.

At this point, Tobi's the better villain as he really did influence the events into what it is now. That single night not only took two of Naruto's parents away from him, but it robbed Konoha of its strongest hokage of the time, reduced Konoha's fighting power due to their shinobi being killed, implicated Uchiha and thus leading to their demise, and even made Naruto into a jinchuuriki where the risk of Kyuubi breaking out was higher than being sealed in Kushina. One may also argue that Tobi played a bigger part in making Sasuke what he was before learning the "truth" than Orochimaru, who merely reminded Sasuke of his true goal.

But, even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had on him, so there's somewhat a bright side. Kabuto's all that remains of Orochimaru's legacy now.
    Put Orochimaru back to full strength in Part II and give him a round 2 against Sasuke....do you really think the situation would've been the same ?

Orochimaru had the biggest impact on the main character. He was the one who robbed Naruto's "brother". He was the one who gave another important objective to Naruto.

It was clear that we wouldn't see Orochimaru with the same power he had in Part I since Sandaime stole his arms. Since that day, Orochimaru was weakened. He wouldn't be the same as he was before. But that doesn't matter. What define a great villain isn't only his power or strength but also his motive, philosophy and everything. Having someone who only wants to control the world is a little bit cliche. Madara's motive is really normal. I mean in 99% of stories, the main villain wants to overthrow the world and dominate mankind. Orochimaru was different. He had other goals. He wanted to know everything, and he used any means to achieve his goal. His jutsus and research were plain evil. His philosophy, ninja way and everything was pure evil, and that is why, for me, he deserve the title of best villain.

Even when he didn't have all his strength, he did pretty well against the 4th tail. I'm a 100% sure that if Orochimaru Part II had the same power he had against the Third Hokage, he could've injured Naruto 4 tails, and easily take control of Sasuke's body when he attacked him.
    Pride Supporter of the Buggy joining Luffy's crew
    Pride Supporter of those who become emotional when they finish a manga or an anime

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street_san View Post
    Put Orochimaru back to full strength in Part II and give him a round 2 against Sasuke....do you really think the situation would've been the same ?
    Yes.

We saw what a full level Orochimaru could do against the uchiha: absolutely nothing.

When he took again control during the "Itachi vs Sasuke" fight, he was an embarrassment. He was just a bug in a fight between gods.

The 3 sannins are just not strong enough against the real top. And the real top, that's where sasuke is ... and I'm not a sasuke fan.
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

It would've been the same...Orochimaru was going for the body not the kill, and that made him lose...he did render Sasuke motionless, he could've stabber him right there...but he didn't...

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlB's Avatar
    Country
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    It would've been the same...Orochimaru was going for the body not the kill, and that made him lose...he did render Sasuke motionless, he could've stabber him right there...but he didn't...
    exactly! I agree with you bene and even if he, by some miracle, was weaker than Sasuke, we are not debating about power levels now, are we? we are talking about overall character build of the villain.

Orochimaru, like any genius, is completely insane. Unpredictable, manipulative, ruthless, cunning, machiavellian philosophy extrimist - if I may say so. but what you have to respect most about the character is that he is not afraid to go after the goals others would consider either impossible or foolish. I mean: a guy who wants to
    Spoiler show
    might not strike many as the brightest type, right? hell, it even sounds a bit childish. but for Oro, that's the gist of it! take the most ridiculous goal one could think of and go for it! screw what others think

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that his goal was used by Kishi as a pretext to transform Orochimaru into a "Uchiha fan" ... and nothing more. Orochimaru deserved better than this:
    http://www.ourmanga.com/Naruto/392/15

Seriously, that was pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by AlB View Post
    even if he, by some miracle, was weaker than Sasuke,we are not debating about power levels now, are we? we are talking about overall character build of the villain.
    Lol ... you don't want a debate about power levels here but you still give your opinion about his power level . Funny .

But well, you're right we're not in this thread for this

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Orochimaru had the biggest impact on the main character. He was the one who robbed Naruto's "brother". He was the one who gave another important objective to Naruto.
    Not to mention, Orochimaru was caught off guard at the time. Regardless, he still looked pretty pathetic when Itachi sealed him, losing because of arrogance. Against Itachi, it was understandable he lost. Same with Sasuke, since he was sick and Sasuke was no pushover. He couldn't go all out on both because he wanted their bodies. However, it's the final appearance that really screwed up his character for me.

Did he really have as big an impact? I'd think it was Tobi that had more impact on Naruto since not only did he make Sasuke more evil than he was, but he also is the main reason why things are as they are. If it weren't for Tobi, Uchiha may have been alive and Sasuke would have no need for revenge; if it weren't for Tobi, Kushina and Minato would have been alive and well. Main thing Orochimaru did was steal Naruto's "brother," but Sasuke wasn't that evil apart from apparently wanting to kill his former teammates.

Quote Quote:
    It was clear that we wouldn't see Orochimaru with the same power he had in Part I since Sandaime stole his arms. Since that day, Orochimaru was weakened. He wouldn't be the same as he was before. But that doesn't matter. What define a great villain isn't only his power or strength but also his motive, philosophy and everything. Having someone who only wants to control the world is a little bit cliche. Madara's motive is really normal. I mean in 99% of stories, the main villain wants to overthrow the world and dominate mankind. Orochimaru was different. He had other goals. He wanted to know everything, and he used any means to achieve his goal. His jutsus and research were plain evil. His philosophy, ninja way and everything was pure evil, and that is why, for me, he deserve the title of best villain.
    A villain can't also look bad or too bad, which is the main reason why I don't consider Orochimaru the best villain. I prefer Orochimaru over Madara, but Madara has looked better than Orochimaru. Despite losses, he managed to make the most out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Yes.

We saw what a full level Orochimaru could do against the uchiha: absolutely nothing.

When he took again control during the "Itachi vs Sasuke" fight, he was an embarrassment. He was just a bug in a fight between gods.

The 3 sannins are just not strong enough against the real top. And the real top, that's where sasuke is ... and I'm not a sasuke fan.
    No proof The Three Sannins are no match. At least, no proof Jiraiya isn't as Itachi and Kisame both retreated from him. It took Pain's secret to beat Jiraiya, and he even knew that he wouldn't have likely won had Jiraiya known of it.

Hmm, it's a shame Itachi's not considered a villain. He was a better one IMO since he had no bad moments and pwned through and through. <_<

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Villain Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Villain Category.

Spoiler: The nominations and their "vote counts" show

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

Spoiler: The STARs' (Scanlators, Translaters, Artists, and Reviewers) choice of winner(s) show

Spoiler: The Moderators' (Red, Blue, Green, and Pink) choice of winner(s) show

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Spoiler: The winner of the Best Villain show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 31, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

3 lists with 3 winners. And father came agonizingly close in readers' list as well. We've some really good monsters in manga-world XD.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

And all of them deserved it
    Plus, there are even more great villains out there on an equal level!

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    Priscilla from Claymore, grumbles annoyedly
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 31, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2