Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Best Villain

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naruto: Orochimaru

30 21.58%
  • Monster: Johann Liebert

25 17.99%
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Father

32 23.02%
  • Berserk: Griffith

35 25.18%
  • D. Gray Man: The Millennium Earl

17 12.23%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Villain

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Villain

Best Villain Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Villain Category.

Spoiler: The nominations and their "vote counts" show

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

Spoiler: The STARs' (Scanlators, Translaters, Artists, and Reviewers) choice of winner(s) show

Spoiler: The Moderators' (Red, Blue, Green, and Pink) choice of winner(s) show

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Spoiler: The winner of the Best Villain show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 31, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Villain

In mangas, we have often "bad" characters becoming "good". But more rarely "good" characters becoming "bad" and that's maybe the reason why I hate so much Griffith ... & the reason why he is the best villain.

Among the others, I couldn't care less about Father. We almost never see him during the whole manga.

Orochimaru was a great villain but ... in the end ... he was just a puppy toyed around. Thank you itachi & thank you sasuke ...

I can perfectly understand why others would vote for Earl (atypical ... & completely nuts) & Johann (that's evil for you ...).
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

^ i won't exactly call johann 'evil'...he is just 'inhuman', which may be god or devil (or rather both).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Castriota's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

orochimaru without a doubt for me. he was just the embodiment of evil. no regard for anyone other than himself. only wanted to further his life by using others. no remorse with his killings. abducting mass amounts of people to use as test subjects. and development of some of the most forbidden jutsu? he is a villian of all villians.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Orochimaru in Naruto.

He's a great villain: unique, respectable, and sympathetic type of character. I don't see him as "evil" per se, but he's definately a villain.

Unfortunately, I don't know (Monster: Johann Liebert) and (D. Gray Man: The Millennium Earl), so I had to omit these in my consideration.

(Father from Fullmetal Alchemist),
    Spoiler show

as for (Berserk: Griffith),
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 12, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    as for (Berserk: Griffith),
    Spoiler show
    It was a little different:
    Spoiler show

My vote goes to Griffith/Berserk in the end. Griffith has more layers than villains like Orochimaru imo, who's path of becoming evil was simpler. And each of these layers are interesting, he was a cool character before turning deeply evil already.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; January 12, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted Johann for similar reasons. He is very complex character with lot of depth in his character and how he became what he is. Johan is one of the main reasons why Monster is such a phenomenal manga. The most frightening monsters don't have hairy bodies, several arms or horns. Once you get to understand this while reading about Johann, the corny name of the series suddenly makes sense. Johann is just creepy. His rational coldness is something special. And the biggest "monsters" lie in his past.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MiFuHi0's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Father all the way. Orochimaru is a close second, with his pure evilness. Johann is a real close third. Man, this was a hard one.

But what Father did in the flashbacks takes the cake.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member street_san's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My choice goes to Orochimaru.

This guy is almost the embodiment of evilness. I mean every little actions he took was in the detriment of someone else. He couldn't care less of others, and act according to his reasons, and his reasons only.

1.For me, what defines a great villain is by the quantity and quality of problems this villain can give to the main characters. And he's "kidnapping" of Sasuke was the biggest (and still) problems and failure Naruto had to face throughout the whole story.

2. Its not even debatable and I think that everyone who read Naruto (or at least part 1) know how monstruous Orochimaru's strength is. This guy is really danm powerful and could take on against any top ninja in this story, even now. And even his jutsus and tactics were plain evil. The way he fought, the way he used the snakes to help him during the fights are just plain evil and kind of gory, making me more willing to vote for him.

His philosophy, actions, strength and way of fighting, all put together make Orochimaru, imo, the best choice in this section.
    Pride Supporter of the Buggy joining Luffy's crew
    Pride Supporter of those who become emotional when they finish a manga or an anime

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna ignore Part II Orochimaru for my own convenience and focus on Part I Orochimaru. \o

Orochimaru truly was a great villain. His motivation wasn't typical; he didn't care about ruling the world or being famous or whatever. He wanted to be the ultimate ninja and learn all ninjutsu in the world and was willing to sacrifice any life to get it. He experimented on people and played with their lives without even having a shred of remorse. What he did, why he did, it was just because he liked seeing things happened and thought life was boring at standstill.

The man also planned ahead and was brilliant! Even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had! He was so adept at mindfucking people like Sarutobi when he made Saru fight his old mentors. Part I Orochimaru was truly an epic villain.

Father was pretty good, but his motivation was power. He was dull to me.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I'm gonna ignore Part II Orochimaru for my own convenience and focus on Part I Orochimaru. \o

Orochimaru truly was a great villain. His motivation wasn't typical; he didn't care about ruling the world or being famous or whatever. He wanted to be the ultimate ninja and learn all ninjutsu in the world and was willing to sacrifice any life to get it. He experimented on people and played with their lives without even having a shred of remorse. What he did, why he did, it was just because he liked seeing things happened and thought life was boring at standstill.

The man also planned ahead and was brilliant! Even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had! He was so adept at mindfucking people like Sarutobi when he made Saru fight his old mentors. Part I Orochimaru was truly an epic villain.

Father was pretty good, but his motivation was power. He was dull to me.
    Part 2 Orochimaru wasn't very different at all...even if the story got shifted and focused on Uchihas and in the end he was trolled twice, that shouldn't affect his character as a whole...his attitude remained the same, his goals were the same...
    Another thing is that Part 2 has other villains in focus and Orochimaru needed to be eliminated...at least that's how I see it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add a comment of my own, though hopefully this is accurate, as I don't know Naruto that well:

(feel free to correct me, if I got this wrong. I don't mind being spoiled, as I already am quite a bit spoiled anyways, hehe, from my own curiosity and impatience, lol)

Spoiler show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 14, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member street_san's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    just to add a comment of my own, though hopefully this is accurate, as I don't know Naruto that well:

(feel free to correct me, if I got this wrong. I don't mind being spoiled, as I already am quite a bit spoiled anyways, hehe, from my own curiosity and impatience, lol)

Spoiler show
    Spoiler show
    Pride Supporter of the Buggy joining Luffy's crew
    Pride Supporter of those who become emotional when they finish a manga or an anime

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street_san View Post
    My choice goes to Orochimaru.

This guy is almost the embodiment of evilness. I mean every little actions he took was in the detriment of someone else. He couldn't care less of others, and act according to his reasons, and his reasons only.

1.For me, what defines a great villain is by the quantity and quality of problems this villain can give to the main characters. And he's "kidnapping" of Sasuke was the biggest (and still) problems and failure Naruto had to face throughout the whole story.

2. Its not even debatable and I think that everyone who read Naruto (or at least part 1) know how monstruous Orochimaru's strength is. This guy is really danm powerful and could take on against any top ninja in this story, even now. And even his jutsus and tactics were plain evil. The way he fought, the way he used the snakes to help him during the fights are just plain evil and kind of gory, making me more willing to vote for him.

His philosophy, actions, strength and way of fighting, all put together make Orochimaru, imo, the best choice in this section.
    its also my oppinion. for me he is the ultimate villain , when i sarted seeing naruto he was for me the biggest threat i couldnt even dream of someone worst than him and his actions changed the hole history. he is the one that made sasuke to go and by that he is causing Naruto all this trouble and all this worries

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote this time was between Father from FMA and Griffith from Berserk, but in the end I decided to vote for Griffith. Father was a despicable being and what he did was horrible; but what he did, and I’m not justifying his actions, he did it to people that weren’t his friends and that he didn’t truly care about. On the other hand, Griffith did something as terrible (and maybe even more) as what Father did but he did it to his own friends, to people that cared deeply about him and that at some point he really cared about them as well. He betrayed his own family in a way, because that is what The Band of the Hawk was to him in my opinion. So that is why I’m voting for Griffith in this award category.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast