Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Best new series

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

35 47.30%
  • Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

9 12.16%
  • The Breaker New Waves

25 33.78%
  • Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –

1 1.35%
  • Pika Ichi

4 5.41%
New Reply

Thread: Best new series

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best new series

The nominees
    Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

The Breaker New Waves

Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –

Pika Ichi

Dear members of MH! Here I am again with the utmost pleasure of presenting the winner of the Best new series. The nominees were the ones on the list above, however two contestants
    have been the spotlight of the category: Enigma and The Breaker: New Waves. But only one, and yes you head me right, because it stomped in the staff votes, STAR votes and the overall votes as well. Here it is, the mighty:
    Enigma by Sakaki Kenji
    Spoiler show

Thanks for everybody that voted and suggested this title, I'm sure that the MH community will keep an eye on development of mysteries in this manga.
    Last edited by benelori; January 31, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best new series

Well, this category was kinda interesting since we had trouble to even find 5 titles that started in 2010. Obviously not one of the best years in recent time, eh.

I'm pretty sure that one of the two newcomers from Weekly Shounen JUMP will take the crown here. But I feel that neither of them is really that outstanding. (And I say that even though I'm translating of the two... ) They are both entertaining in their own ways but that's about it. Especially enigma just feels like a mash up of various ideas and concepts one has read in dozens of other titles. It has a charme on its own but essentially I think it's boring.

I still didn't find time to read Pika Ichi but I might after seeing some reviews for it on various pages. It seems quite well received.
    I also didn't read the continuation of The Breaker yet for the simple reason that I couldn't stand part I of it. And according to some of my buddies who're reading it the new series didn't deliver anything at all up to this point.

So, in the end I'm picking the series I nominated for this category: Ikusa no Ko. (Even though I know it has little to no chance to win because it isn't translated yet and I don't have enough time to do it...)
    It's the new series by godly Tetsuo Hara the artist of Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star). An epic tale with superb arts set in the Sengoku Period. Even though it's only developing I'm already drawn into it because of its awesomeness and GAR factor.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who think that 2010 is a poor year.
    In 2009 , we had beelzebub & Gamaran for example but in 2010 ...

I'm not voting for this poll. I don't even heard anything about 3 of those mangas
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 11, 2011 at 02:06 PM.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who think that 2010 is a poor year.
    In 2009 , we had beelzebub & Gamaran for example but in 2010 ...

I'm not voting for this poll. I don't even heard anything about 3 of those mangas
    Yep, 2010 is a poor year. I agree with that...

BUT you should really read enigma then. It is definitely a good new series which seems to be appreciated a lot by the WSJ crowd. It had a top 5 several times and it has a cover upcoming issue. The manga was even mentioned in Bakuman

Spoiler show

Rough summary but it kinda reminds me of Psyren (supernatural powers) in the Death Note, Liar Game,... genre (suspense genre). Ah well, everyone has his own vibe and this is just a beginning

My biggest fear is that it might turn out in to a double arts v2: great promising hype start which eventually falls endlessly

Well my vote is clear
    Last edited by Koen; January 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Amida's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pika Ichi is a manga I actually am really interested in. I seem to have polar opposite tastes in manga at times (seinen to shojo), but the characters are interesting, the romance is "cute" and well written, and so far the story is developing well (with a little lull in Chapter 3, but in 4 is where it takes off). There is fighting, but the main characters barely, if ever, partake in it and seek to end the violence. I also just love Yakuza stuff...I think I'd fit in with the characters here just fine! I'm hoping this one makes it for the full extent of it's story.

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen is a close second for me. It strays from most conventional WSJ series, which is good for the magazine (in my opinion). I really like it, but I personally liked Pika Ichi better.

I may take a look at Enigma, but the concept seems a little ok to me. I'm just usually hesitant on anything in Weekly Shonen Jump as "best of..." since most of them mainly revolve around the same thing and tell the same story more or less.

The Breaker New Waves is a re-hashed story again for me, so this one may actually be in last for me. Not in the way that it's a continuation of The Breaker, but because it's just another high school fight series.

Sadly I've yet to read Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –, so I must omit it from my ballot : / it does look interesting, however.

"Ia iak sakkakh iak Sakkakth, Ia shaxul, Ia Kingu ia Cthulu ia Azbul, Ia Azabua" - Azagthoth

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

The nominees
    Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

The Breaker New Waves

Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –

Pika Ichi

Dear members of MH! Here I am again with the utmost pleasure of presenting the winner of the Best new series. The nominees were the ones on the list above, however two contestants
    have been the spotlight of the category: Enigma and The Breaker: New Waves. But only one, and yes you head me right, because it stomped in the staff votes, STAR votes and the overall votes as well. Here it is, the mighty:
    Enigma by Sakaki Kenji
    Spoiler show

Thanks for everybody that voted and suggested this title, I'm sure that the MH community will keep an eye on development of mysteries in this manga.

New Reply