Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Haruno Sakura thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member AmyRiddle's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

No Trust Re: The Official Haruno Sakura thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boris999 View Post
    My bad, it's obviously has been a while
    Just wanted to correct that minor mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Boris999 View Post
    In any case my point was that Sakura seems to go through very sudden 'fits' of making a show of short-term maturation only to not quite stick to it.

Though overall she has matured a bit, so I'll still give her time still to show us what she's got
    She matured for what, two chapters? after cutting off her oh so important hair.
    Then she showed some very mature behavior and impressive skills in the rescue Gaara arc. After that? Everything went downhill and i grew to despise her.

Things about her i really despise:

- she is violent in a way that is not funny or appropriate
    - she keep throwing away the maturing she has done
    - she gets angry/agressive over things that aint worth it
    - she puts too much on Narutos shoulders and then goes and puts even more on them while trying to make the burden lighter

I think Sakura is still stuck in Chapter 1, only thing that changed is her body and she managed to learn healing to an admirable point.

Maybe Kishi will manage to redeem her somehow but i doubt it, there isnt much time left for her to mature and make past mistakes forgotten.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Official Haruno Sakura thread

Quote Originally Posted by AmyRiddle View Post
    She matured for what, two chapters? after cutting off her oh so important hair.
    Then she showed some very mature behavior and impressive skills in the rescue Gaara arc. After that? Everything went downhill and i grew to despise her.

Things about her i really despise:

- she is violent in a way that is not funny or appropriate
    - she keep throwing away the maturing she has done
    - she gets angry/agressive over things that aint worth it
    - she puts too much on Narutos shoulders and then goes and puts even more on them while trying to make the burden lighter

I think Sakura is still stuck in Chapter 1, only thing that changed is her body and she managed to learn healing to an admirable point.

Maybe Kishi will manage to redeem her somehow but i doubt it, there isnt much time left for her to mature and make past mistakes forgotten.
    I get where your coming from but i don't agree on some points.
    • Her violent tendency's/aggressiveness etc.
      I think it's funny and appropriate. It's the manga version of a wink and a punch on the arm. In manga all that stuff is exaggerated for effect. I think it's charming, much the same way i think it was charming when Kagome did that stuff to Inyasha.
    • She keeps throwing away the maturing she has done.
      Yes, she does. But where does the fault lie with that? I don't think it belongs with her character i think it belongs with the way Kishimoto shoehorned her onto the sidelines after the kage summit. No character suffers on his narrative whims like she does. I lump her putting too much on Naruto's shoulders right in there with this. Kishi seems to want Naruto and Sasuke to be the center of the universe and that means Sakura has to get out of the way, even though that goes against the grain of the character he seemed to want to develop her to be. He turned her from a promising warrior to an emo cheerleader with first aid training.

And it is my sincere hope that undoes that real soon.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

3. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What Sakura really needs is to stop chasing for love form boys and find love within herself. I think that would be the best way to redeem herself because every time someone says Sasuke, she becomes so lame. if she can truly get over Sasuke she would go up like 80 points with the fans.

Kishimoto keeps saying he wanted to keep Sakura as normal as possible, but i think he fails to realize normal people fall in love get their hearts broken and then move on. there's noting normal about this Sasuke love. it's unhealthy

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    No character suffers on his narrative whims like she does.
    Every villain in the series would like to have a word with you.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sharikaaria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3646 View Post
    Kishimoto keeps saying he wanted to keep Sakura as normal as possible, but i think he fails to realize normal people fall in love get their hearts broken and then move on. there's noting normal about this Sasuke love. it's unhealthy
    Agreed. It's not love - more like obsession. Perhaps she's in love with the old Sasuke, or the idea of being in love with him. Sometimes people fall in love with an idea rather than a person, and it's totally unhealthy. In a sense, the person she's in love with doesn't actually exist.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post
    Every villain in the series would like to have a word with you.
    Do villains get screwed over by their opponent's impenetrable plot armor? Yes(all the time). But every literary villain should know that comes with the job.

Sakura's different. She is supposed to be the heroine. I mean, the bulk of her character was spent trying to become a warrior in her own right, like her mentor Tsunade. But, because the whole world is supposed to revolve only around Naruto and Sasuke(the mighty incarnations of the Uchiha and Senju), Sakura's character(as a vanilla human being) is always forced into the gutter so that those two can look good.

She has become Lois Lane to Naruto's superman. Which is just....horrible.

10. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say she's Lois lane, cause Lois lane is pretty good on her own.

Anyway, Sakura attempting to hang with "the boys" is clearly the problem, seeing as her good points lie in a completely different direction. During the invasion she was able to dish out some orders and work to help with others with some good effect. The same now during the war. Unlike Naruto who has no skill in it and Sasuke who sucked at it, Sakura has shown a good ability to command and work together with others. Instead of trying to make her a fighter and continuing with the tried relationship issues, this is what Kishi should be focusing on for her.

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Jammin, I would agree with you if not for this tiny little comment:
    Quote Quote:
    She has become Lois Lane to Naruto's superman. Which is just....horrible.
    Lois Lane is very, very good character in DC Comics if you ask me. Comparing her to Sakura of Naruto manga is just really, really inappriopriate. I mean it xd
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juUnior View Post
    Lois Lane is very, very good character in DC Comics if you ask me. Comparing her to Sakura of Naruto manga is just really, really inappriopriate. I mean it xd
    Not sure about Lois Lane in her current form, i'm not a huge DC comic fan these days(Marvel yes, DC no). But in her pre-90's form she was quite the archetypic damsel in distress. She was the helpless princess that runs around getting into positions where her brave proverbial knight must come to her rescue.

That was basically why she was a reporter(a never-ending excuse for her to constantly getting into trouble).

I don't like it, but the archetype that Sakura is being morphed into is the same as the Lois Lane i was familiar with, even though Sakura started out with the ambition of being more of a hero in her own right. I suppose, if you don't like the Lois Lane comparison how about Spiderman's Mary-Jane Watson. It's all the same thing more or less. A female character who's very purpose is to be saved...over and over again.

Sprinkle on a little bit of sexual tension and some soap opera goodness and you've got yourself the "basic model of superhero love interest".
    Last edited by Jammin; May 20, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

So I know different Lois Lane <though she seems to be saved too, it doesn't mean its constantly that way or her character is so much poor than Sakura's developments> She is a "strong" character, literally. Sakura's character isn't <in psychical sense I mean> Sakura can have doubts concerning some things, Lois Lane <usually xd> don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    I suppose, if you don't like the Lois Lane comparison how about Spiderman's Mary-Jane Watson. It's all the same the same thing more or less. A female character who's very purpose is to be saved...over and over again
    Actually thats better analogy - she seems really to be such kind of character like Sakura, not necessarily comparing her to "saving part", but to the character of both characters in general <and while "restarting" Spidey they made her as side kick now, to make much more girls be saved <half-joking> >
    Yeah, with Mary-Jane Watson comparison I strongly agree xD <they even have similar colour "theme" >

BUT like I said earlier: I agree on what you wrote about Sakura - she's probably the only one with such a poor development on her part from Kishi : ( <I can't even say that such minor random characters like Tenten are poorly developed, because thats not the case: Tenten hasn't got any real development at all, so it stays the same; on the other hand Sakura had really, REALLY nice developments <if Kishi wanted to> and than she just put her as some minor character comparable to Tenten..> Maybe I exagerate a little xd
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people keep saying she's the most human and flawed of all the characters in the manga. And personally thats a load of bull.

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sho87 View Post
    Lots of people keep saying she's the most human and flawed of all the characters in the manga. And personally thats a load of bull.
    It's not that people think she's the most human and flawed person it's that Kishimoto the author thinks she's the most human and flawed. he thinks this is how normal teenage girls act. But I really want to know what kind of girls did he know growing up because wow girls can be stupid when it comes to boys, but then they grow up and wise up. This is what he needs to do for Sakura.

I wonder if Sakura has daddy issues that would explain everything!
    Last edited by dragoon3646; May 20, 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3646 View Post
    It's not that people think she's the most human and flawed person it's that Kishimoto the author thinks she's the most human and flawed. he thinks this is how normal teenage girls act. But I really want to know what kind of girls did he know growing up because wow girls can be stupid when it comes to boys, but then they grow up and wise up. This is what he needs to do for Sakura.

I wonder if Sakura has daddy issues that would explain everything!
    You'd be surprised as to how stupid some girls can be (and this is coming from a girl). If you consider the list of all the dumb things they could do, Sakura's really not that bad. But of course, if you're comparing her with a "normal" teenage girl, she's only a bit confused. That fake confession did send things downhill, though.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@juUnior
    What your said about the Lois Lane being emotionally stronger is true. But that's the natural evolution of the princess archetype, given time they transition into the emotional "rock" for the hero(but of course they still need saving quite frequently...that never changes). Mary-Jane Watson used to have that role too before....
    Spoiler show

If the story goes on long enough they inevitably turn into the hero's "rock" emotionally. If this is indeed the path Sakura goes down, and i hope it isn't, given enough time that's the role Sakura would take on as well.

-----------------------

The thing with Sakura is that i think she has been developed for so much more than that.

During stuff like the Sasori fight she shows that she was a warrior with medical talent(like Tsunade) yet recently she's completely lost that fire become all nurse and no warrior. Which seems to me to be in direct conflict with that earlier aspect of herself.

She's not helpless, and i am eager to see her remember that about herself. Because that's what makes me like her as a character.... she's got fire.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM.

22. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lois Lane being a damsel in distress is understandable. She throws herself into bad situations and can't really defend herself. Sakura's job is to deal with the bad situations, so she has focused on self-defense all her life. And somehow she's a damsel in distress too. Fail.

Before Sakura can become anyone's emotional "rock," she has to become strong internally. And she is quite strong, but her confusion/lack of conviction about Sasuke is her major weakness. If she doesn't regain that conviction, she won't grow as a character. I think she will grow eventually, but I really hope Kishi hasn't assumed that conviction equals dropping the entire Sasuke ordeal into Naruto's hands.

New Reply
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast