Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Haruno Sakura thread

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Official Haruno Sakura thread

@THM

Ups, forgot to credit the artist: http://hari-jizo.deviantart.com/favo...15174#/d4zdahs

It's really a shame. In part 1 Kishimoto wasn't all that good at drawing females, but they were good characters. Now it's the opposite...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Chatte's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the Sakura fans as well.
    Even if for the moment she doesn't seem to have any relevance, her character is well rooted in the basic plot.
    Meaning shinobis who are meant not to be emotionless tools.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My feelings about Sakura's character right now are...complicated.

I've been pretty vocal about the fact that there is a lot on the characterization side of Naruto story that I just don't believe is working; and I don't think there is any character more capable of fixing that than Sakura. She's really the perfect one to reinforce the human aspect of Naruto and his connection with the other rookies during this war arc. The problem is she needs to be a part of the story in order to do that; and she really hasn't been.

The post-summit Sasuke encounter was really where it all went wrong for her, where she went from feeling guilty about "letting Naruto handle everything" to deciding to "let Naruto handle everything(again)". We really needed to see some resolution from her to at the very least "not let Naruto handle everything alone" which just never materialized.

Instead she(and Sai) were replaced in the narrative by Killer Bee who, besides being strong, has really been a failure as a supporting character (not dramatic or particularly funny). Sadly, this was necessary because she was kept so weak that her fighting beside Naruto is just no longer believable.

Ignoring her development for so long came at a price and this was it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group of Kakashi, Killer Bee, Naruto, and Gai may be strong but they lack the emotional depth and sense of character connectivity we got from Kakashi, Naruto, and Sakura had; which is a void I've found noticeable.

I think that void could be filled by restoring Sakura but there is just no room for that in this arc now and, even outside of this arc, it could be difficult to get her to be able to pull her own weight around Naruto without a time-skip. Unless Naruto's character breaks down a bit in terms of power (losing the kyuubi for example) or emotionally (losing Sasuke or failing in some way) I think it will be a hard road for her character to achieve any kind of real relevance.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 13, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

Instead she(and Sai) were replaced in the narrative by Killer Bee who, besides being strong, has really been a failure as a supporting character (not dramatic or particularly funny). Sadly, this was necessary because she was kept so weak that her fighting beside Naruto is just no longer believable.

Ignoring her development for so long came at a price and this was it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group of Kakashi, Killer Bee, Naruto, and Gai may be strong but they lack the emotional depth and sense of character connectivity we got from Kakashi, Naruto, and Sakura had; which is a void I've found noticeable.

I think that void could be filled by restoring Sakura but there is just no room for that in this arc now and, even outside of this arc, it could be difficult to get her to be able to pull her own weight around Naruto without a time-skip. Unless Naruto's character breaks down a bit in terms of power (losing the kyuubi for example) or emotionally (losing Sasuke or failing in some way) I think it will be a hard road for her character to achieve any kind of real relevance.
    I agree with everything here. One of the great failures of Shippuden was Kishi's insistence on having Naruto always be around adult guardians rather than having him be a leader of his generation. For the past 250 chapters, he barely has interacted with people his own age. Instead, he has mostly been chaperoned around by the likes of Kakashi, Yamato, the Toad Sages, Gai, Kirabi, and now even Kurama.

I believe Kishi wanted to replicate the successful Naruto-Jiraiya relationship from Part 1 and believes Naruto works better around adult figures. But in my opinion, it has ruined a lot of his development. And it has created a disconnect between Naruto and his friends. The character this most effected was Sakura, the one who would most benefit from Naruto interaction. Instead of being there to be Naruto's conscience, her role was tragically filled by others.

And I agree that the Kirabi character started off strong, then petered out, and long ago overstayed his welcome. Not surprisingly he is one of Kishi's favorite characters. I don't think Japanese boys even found him funny since he placed rather low in the popularity polls given his huge amounts of screentime. He was not someone Naruto needed to be attached to for so long. I know Naruto needed to interact with another jin, but his relationship with Gaara is 1,000 times more real than the silly brofist thing he has with Kirabi. And it didn't need to go on this long.

And yeah, now that Naruto's friends are here, connections can be made again and this fight will have so much more meaning than when it was just Naruto, Kakashi, Kirabi, and Gai.
    Last edited by Jessie; November 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have seen a piece of fan art that better displays what I had hoped Sakura would one day become than this one I just came across this while surfing devaintART

Looking at this and then looking at Sakura and her character in the manga right now invokes a great many emotions. I would describe most of them as "different shades of anger".

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    ... 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I have a few other favorites like:

Spoiler: Badass Akatsuki Sakura show

Spoiler: Tsunade'ish Sakura? show

Spoiler: Sakura here just looks... nice show

I know it's been said a thousand times before, but it's kind of unbelievable how Kishi portrayed Sakura so well in the very start of Part II and has sent her through the trash bin ever since. Maybe he was forced to write something about her by his editors, lol.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have seen a piece of fan art that better displays what I had hoped Sakura would one day become than this one I just came across this while surfing devaintART

Looking at this and then looking at Sakura and her character in the manga right now invokes a great many emotions. I would describe most of them as "different shades of anger".
    Well, she looks like 20-25 in that fan art, so there's still hope that she might become like that in the next 5 to 10 years.
    Unfortunately, we will never see that, since I doubt we will have a timeskip (and if we have one, it would be like 2-3 years max).

Still, it's nice to think that she could become someone we would appreciate.
    Kishi really ruined that character...

And like you said... it was all going so well at the beginning of Part 2.
    Then, she went downhill...

We had a few moments of hope when she decided to kill Sasuke, but then... you know what happened...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    We had a few moments of hope when she decided to kill Sasuke, but then... you know what happened...
    Every time I think about it, I mourn the loss of what was to be, and I die a little bit inside.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, guys... Don't be sad. If she would've killed him, no plot. Who would Naruto be fighting later?
    We have to understand that some of her actions fall under the plot development.
    Look at her, from the fangirl over Sasuke at the realization that Sasuke is a bad guy. Yes, the majority say OMG SasuSaku moment, but it's kinda not... She is coming to a realization, that her feelings for Sasuke and Sasuke overall, are bad.
    I know some of you are disappointed, however it's all part of her character development.
    Let's have a little faith, shall we?

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatte View Post
    Guys, guys... Don't be sad. If she would've killed him, no plot. Who would Naruto be fighting later?
    We have to understand that some of her actions fall under the plot development.
    Look at her, from the fangirl over Sasuke at the realization that Sasuke is a bad guy. Yes, the majority say OMG SasuSaku moment, but it's kinda not... She is coming to a realization, that her feelings for Sasuke and Sasuke overall, are bad.
    I know some of you are disappointed, however it's all part of her character development.
    Let's have a little faith, shall we?
    Your optimism is a breath of fresh air. It's almost enough to counterbalance the fact that, as uchiha_blood pointed out in the romance discussion, Kishi gave her a one hit KO with with a rock last chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Blood View Post
    I mean.....seriously?!

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

We know that one hit ko wasn't because of the rock, let's be serious we see other ninjas getting blown away, it's just the fandom need to bash on her.
    Look, Sakura is slowly but surely developing, Kishi has been placing hints here and there that slowly but surely she'll get past everything and, as others would say, come to her senses.
    But we have to wait and, indeed, waiting is tough!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bloomerwedgies's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so depressing. You'd think that because she's, you know, a doctor, she could have a moment to really shine in this battle seeing as so many people are getting messed up.

But no.

She gets knocked out at a critical moment yet again. How many concussions has she had so far? And Kurama's a chakra I-V now, so the medical treatment she gave Kakashi will just get overlooked since the fox can just magically renew everyone.

I'll try to keep hope alive, but honestly it just feels like one more shovelful of dirt on the coffin of what could have been. *wistful sigh*

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your optimism is a breath of fresh air. It's almost enough to counterbalance the fact that, as uchiha_blood pointed out in the romance discussion, Kishi gave her a one hit KO with with a rock last chapter.

I mean.....seriously?!
    ... Well at least Kishi hasn't tried to kill her off yet.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    If he tried to kill her, we might see her going down in some epic blaze of glory. That might secure her legacy. I think amazing death would be far superior to being relegated to ineffective bystander.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    I don't think he'll kill her. Her along with Naruto, Sasuke and Kakashi are the main characters of the story.
    I see plenty of things that need to be done with Sakura and I'm positive Kishi will get there, however, slowly, as he even let us think about on a cover with her where he said "Slowly but surely, she and her friends are changing" or something like that.
    Sakura's character development has always been on a slow scale because she is not a representative of the power-house as her team-mates, we have to remember that she is here to represent the human side/touch of this manga, how Kishi himself said, so it is only normal, at least to me, that her development is slowly, gradually but certain.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast