Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: What's happening with MH and openmanga

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

What's happening with MH and openmanga

Since the time MH stopped hosting raws and scanlations, this place has been getting quite. Mangafox which removed many of the titles are back hosting them again...including big JUMP titles. On the other hand we don't even know whether MH recieved any official notification ultimately, removing the contents were a preemptive measure according to what we were told last. Last time njt was active on this site was back in May. I suppose they are busy with openmanga, but there has been no news on that project either in tweeter or in the blog for last two months. As much as i like the idea of openmanga, i do think that MH should not be neglected this much. Why can't MH,which has not even been officially warned as far as we know, go back to hosting again if mangafox can? Also what is happening with openmanga? Can the stuff here contact njt and 3 bosses and ask these questions?
    Last edited by ashher; December 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's happening with MH and openmanga

I do not have any information to provide about the status of Openmanga.

The mission of Mangahelpers is to provide a site for high quality translation; Mangahelpers does not wish to endanger that mission through the possible legal ramifications of resumption of scanlation or raw hosting. The administrators of Mangafox have made the decision that the positive benefits to their community that resumption of hosting manga brings outweighs the possible negative ramifications that legal action by the publishers could bring. Mangahelpers feels that even without scanlation or raw hosting we have a wonderful community and great members. We hope that the community also feel we have enough to offer as a translation website and manga discussion forum that they will continue to come to our forums to post.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 24, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

3. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's happening with MH and openmanga

^yeah, helping translators was the original goal...that as much i learned from the notice about stopping to host scanlations and raws. But one connot deny that scanlations and specilly raws became the core, they made MH what MH was...the very centre of the manga community. Any new group would come here for raws and show their work here. Readers would come knowing that its the one place to check out almost all the available raws,translations, scanlations and new groups/projects. It would have been at least a consolation to know that MH actually got legal warning, so that it really couldn't host these anymore...like OM. But to shut them down and not even trying to re-open those features, without ever actually getting any legal notice...it just doesn't seem fair to all those who contributed in making MH what it was...raw providers,scanlators, readers. Of course the scanlation scene will move forward without MH, as it is doing now...but i am just one of those ppl,i am sure there are many like me, who grew an attachment to this site, and would be pained to see the way MH has moved itself away from the mainstream manga community almost unnecessarily. MH could've remained the Central for scanlation, whereas Openmanga could've been the way to replace scanlation gradually with legally available mangas. But to think that Openmanga could overnight haul the manga community, who has been concentrated on the scanlated mangas for so long, to totally new mangas is really an impractical idea. MH as it were before would've been a great help in the slow transition of manga readers from scanlation to legal ones. Things are not going anywhere with the current version of MH. scanlators will just find other niches, ppl will keep reading illegally, MH will just keep losing popularity (there are scanlator sites that provide tutorials and have discussion forums) and with MH getting sidelined, it'll be just harder for Openmanga to get the focus from manga community (there are other legal manga sites, you know, which never found much exposure and popularity).
    Last edited by ashher; December 25, 2010 at 03:27 AM.

New Reply