Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga 69 Discussion/70 Predictions

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland Saga 69 Discussion/70 Predictions

The waiting is over, Mangastream released Vinland Saga 69 today.
    Have fun reading if you didn't already

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vizard5's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga 69 Discussion/70 Predictions

Spoiler show

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member menino's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vizard5 View Post
    Spoiler show
    Thanks for identifying that woman, I really didn't get who it was first
    One thing I noticed is the author's attempt of showing Thorfinn beeing beaten down by some rowdies without questioning his badassness in combat, by having that guy hitting him from behind.
    I really enjoyed that hit he landed in the first place. A nice presentation of "he didn't forget how to do it" And I'ld definitly enjoy him getting up again and teaching those guys what a real warrior fights like in next chapter. Though I could absolutely imagine that it doesn't come that way and either somebody interferes or he just gets beaten up even worse.

I wonder about the end... ok, it's a hint that we will soon learn what's behind the dream about the cliff. But what does that combinition of Thors and the old woman mean?
    The woman might represent his regrets about his life as a warrior, as his actions in war killed this person he wanted to protect. So she might be a symbol of himself holding back because he doesn't want to become a warrior again. Just a wild guess though.
    Thors could be a symbol that he reminds the sacrifice of his fathers to save his son, which would mean: He has to defend himself to survive and find a reason to live again, because if he would not do so, Thors sacrifice would've been in vain.
    -> Although it's kinda counter-intuitive to me, but after writing this I come to think that these two characters might represent his inner conflict; Then Thorfinn's goal in life would be to combine these characters: Not bringing death and pain, but having a meaningful and positive life.

By the way it's the 69 discussion so you don't need to spoiler your answers in here, discussion implies that the people reading the thread have also read the chapter
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 01, 2010 at 10:13 AM.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

^i agree about the end, i think it is trying to show that Thorfinn was knocked out, and maybe next chapter we will see the full dream and the meaning behind it.

i always felt like the old lady was crying out of pity for Thorfinn, so i think maybe her showing up means that she still feels pity for him cause he does not have the life he deserves. anyways, seems like the slave days are over. now they have no other choice but to run, or kill everyone they meet. and i think Einar will try to take Arneis with him.. i think the next few chapters will be very exiteing!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member killy-.-'s Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

they will be taken to the master and his son will recognise Thorfin as old king's friend the one who wounded him

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ameya730's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

loved this chapter. the closeups of angry faces of both the characters really made the chapter for me. i could feel the hate for those other slaves increase in my heart on seeing them only because of the awesome art.

cant wait to see what direction it takes from here on.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol guys you don't have to spoiler tag discussion over this chapter. This thread is made specifically for discussing it, if people don't wanna be spoiled they will avoid this thread.

Very good chapter. Thorfinn showed a lot of maturity but of course, maturity can only go so far before raw emotion takes over (as we saw). The most important thing that happened is clearly the last page where he starts to see his dream again. I think what his dream means will become more clear next chapter.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    Lol guys you don't have to spoiler tag discussion over this chapter. This thread is made specifically for discussing it, if people don't wanna be spoiled they will avoid this thread.

Very good chapter. Thorfinn showed a lot of maturity but of course, maturity can only go so far before raw emotion takes over (as we saw). The most important thing that happened is clearly the last page where he starts to see his dream again. I think what his dream means will become more clear next chapter.

Oh, I really believe that this was not raw emotion by Thorfinn.
    Ok, he really did look angry after beating down the first guy but my first impression was that he only did it to safe his friend from trouble; So he had just beaten that guy down to make sure that his friend does not.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Oh, I really believe that this was not raw emotion by Thorfinn.
    Ok, he really did look angry after beating down the first guy but my first impression was that he only did it to safe his friend from trouble; So he had just beaten that guy down to make sure that his friend does not.
    I say raw emotion because he seemed to not be completely aware of what he had just done after he hit the other guy. I don't necessarily think it was all anger, though obviously that was a factor, but the raw emotion could also be the want to protect his friend from trouble. Which in fact, that's what I was thinking he was doing at first, hitting the guy first so Einar wouldn't get in any trouble, but his confused look afterwards made me doubt that as the only reason.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    I say raw emotion because he seemed to not be completely aware of what he had just done after he hit the other guy. I don't necessarily think it was all anger, though obviously that was a factor, but the raw emotion could also be the want to protect his friend from trouble. Which in fact, that's what I was thinking he was doing at first, hitting the guy first so Einar wouldn't get in any trouble, but his confused look afterwards made me doubt that as the only reason.
    Yeah I've been wondering about it as well... Gonna read it again tomorrow, it's always easier to gain an overview after some time passed
    The drawings and atmosphere were really intense and awesome in this chapter by the way... Did they possibly evolve a little during the course of the latest chapters where it didn't really come to such intense moments? I think in the "Prologue" part (up to the death of Askeladd) it was neither so detailled nor so dark.

Edit: Ok, his surprise was real that moment. It seems his warrior reflexes really did take over, without any thinking involved.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; December 01, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm wondering with all these visions and stuff if thorfinn will get a transformation similar to that of canute very soon. he can't continiue the way he is now, he needs to have belief in himself and his abilitys and have a purpose. the story can't continiue before thorfinn gets a purpose for his life..

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the visions are symbolic of what he has been through since the end of Askeladd Cycle. The cliffs represent his unconscious; fall to the bottom and the domesticity, fear, cowering, and emotional detachment of slavery overcome Thorofinn's true nature. Climb to the top and his true nature as a Viking recover. For one moment, when Einor was about to snap, the real Thorofinn emerged. As he began losing consciousness the passivity of captivity returned. Thors is standing at the top of the cliff calling him. If he can hear his father next chapter the old Thorofinn, hopefully wiser for his suffering, could reemerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    The drawings and atmosphere were really intense and awesome in this chapter by the way... Did they possibly evolve a little during the course of the latest chapters where it didn't really come to such intense moments? I think in the "Prologue" part (up to the death of Askeladd) it was neither so detailled nor so dark.
    The look on Thorofinn's face after pwning that dude was epic. His expression when he realized what he had done was priceless. I should make an avy of it

The first two volumes were originally serialized in Weekly Shonen Magazine. The art started getting more detailed once it moved to Afternoon.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vizard5 View Post
    i'm wondering with all these visions and stuff if thorfinn will get a transformation similar to that of canute very soon. he can't continiue the way he is now, he needs to have belief in himself and his abilitys and have a purpose. the story can't continiue before thorfinn gets a purpose for his life..
    I think Thorfinn doesn't lack belief in himself or his abilities, I'm quite certain about it. He just doesn't want to use his fighting abilities anymore because it seems he has become afraid of the results of fighting - not because he could lose, but because he doesn't want to shed any more blood. And because he just thinks that it's pointless anyways, as he -like you said- lacks a purpose in life so far.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

@_@ peed in my pants when I turned to page 25.

this is why I love this manga so much.

Kait, your interpretation does sound logical...
    Last edited by baboysai; December 02, 2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast