Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vinland Saga 65 Chapter Discussion

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga 65 Chapter Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    I forgot about Thors, somehow. This arc makes even more sense now. He needed to know the life his father lived, why his father left the battle field.

I don't think there could have been any character development during England Saga. It seemed to me that his quest for revenge and living for battle stunted his growth. So long as he was on the battlefield growth as a human being would be impossible. We are only seeing the beginning in this chapter. Until this month he looked so lost and listless.
    Actually, now that I've reread and reached the current chapter again, I even think it more brilliant, Kaiten.

I had always put to mind Thor's meaning of "True Warrior" and Thorkell and the rest of the gang could never understand "without a weapon" or anything like that.

Now that this arc is showing Thorfinn as a slave, and as you said he is so lost and listless, he has no freedom. much like Thors was as a captain not permitted to desert and just keep on fighting, or as the Thorfinn before who has bound himself to Askeladd. This was why his father was so bent on buying that dying slave in the first volume.

When he is put side by side with Einar, who is always so full of energy fighting for his right and freedom, we see a Thorfinn who still hasn't learned what it means to fight for himself, gather his will to live (as Snake showed him couple of chapters ago) and protect his life.

I'm looking forward to the day Thorfinn "wakes up" to realize his life is important, that he is not just a slave that can be ordered around.

Come to think of it, he will fight for a better life, and possibly Canute's objectives of uniting and giving paradise to his people will coincide with Thorfinn's objective?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think considering war as the main plot is forgetting the main subject is about peace and free land : The name is Vinland Saga. The real Vinland Saga refers to a peaceful occupation of a part of North America. Not about war in England or Denmark.

The war in England was just one step. And I am pretty sure there will be other steps of this kind. It's important to develop about war in order to develop the theme of peace of freedom. But we should not put this part as the most important place in this manga.
    That's true it was impressive, well treated and elaborated, but it's an arc not the manga itself. In addition it would have been awkward to avoid discussing such subject when it comes about the Xe century in Scandinavian areas.
    But it remains one detail of the development of the character Thorfinn. Yukimura seems to enjoy making him visiting every aspect of a human being (son of a chieftain/main man of a village a.k.a civilian, warrior, now slave -I don't think he'll be a monk xD- next will be surely free man again, but a grown up one,...) and being a warrior is one of them.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it seems even more clear now that this manga is about Thorfinn's journey to become a great man like his father. But what I can't wait to see is when Thorfinn gets thrown back into battle (which I can almost guarantee he will), how will he react? Will he strive to be a man like his father in combat or fall back to his old ways? It may end up being a combination of both. Its easier to become a sane man of peace when you're not in the middle of a battlefield.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

btw what happened to the 3 ships askalad had? and especially the ship from thors

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    Yeah it seems even more clear now that this manga is about Thorfinn's journey to become a great man like his father. But what I can't wait to see is when Thorfinn gets thrown back into battle (which I can almost guarantee he will), how will he react? Will he strive to be a man like his father in combat or fall back to his old ways? It may end up being a combination of both. Its easier to become a sane man of peace when you're not in the middle of a battlefield.
    In expect he will be forced to fight some more. No matter what happens on the farm, no matter how much he wants a peaceful life, there is bound to be more turmoil.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3