Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga 70 Discussion/71 Predictions

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zidane's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland Saga 70 Discussion/71 Predictions

I bring you zeh new chapter:
    http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/83966122/1

I shed a man-tear while working on page 19.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga 70 Discussion/71 Predictions

One of the best chapters in the series, completely awesome! I'm still processing everything that happened, it will probably need a second read. Page 19 definitely was beautiful. The zombie vikings massacring each other on page 25 was horrifying, the art was Berserk level.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Kait, very great chapter. I'll definitely have to read it a few more times but just from the first quick read, it seems to show Thorfinn's longing for a peaceful life far away from the battlefield, and his developing fear of warfare (seems like the last double spread is showing him being terrified by the idea of going to a place where there is nothing but constant warfare). It's all very interesting regardless.

On another note, I wonder what will be the consequences of Thorfinn and Einar's little outburst.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Fê - forever alone's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

This chapter was so damn good, at least for me.

I got scaryed when I read the beginning, lol. I knew it was a dream, but I kept wondering, what if is not?!!!! Lol. And then, seeing Thors is always good, and seeing him lecturing his stupid son is even better, lol.

Maybe, just maybe, Thorffin be finally able to understand his father, and by recollecting all his dream, he can find his own way to live like his father wanted to. Well, by seeing how war is, how "Valhalla trully is", he can learn something, right? I mean, perhaps Thors didn't want him to fight in a war because he "saw" and understood it well, he was able to find his path and way of life because of what he saw in wars, now his son can finally see the same thing and understand his will.

I don't know, this chapter was so deep, that I can't say what I thought of it right now.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blennz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

is it me or what these chapter seem to be getting shorter by the month and a whole month for a chapter to come out is quite painful for a 26 page chapter every month

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blennz View Post
    is it me or what these chapter seem to be getting shorter by the month and a whole month for a chapter to come out is quite painful for a 26 page chapter every month
    lol im happy with 25/26 pages each month.... with berserk you get like 20/21 pages each 4-6 months.... Be happy with what you get :P

Country
    Seborga
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Chapter.
    What will Thorfinn now do?
    After all there is Canute in England and til now i thought Thorfinn would go back and fight for him.
    But the current progress feels more like thorfinn going back to iceland and search for his family(maybe they are also slaves in england or Ylfa lives now with her father?).

The Page with Thorfinn and Thor reminds me of the awesome Pages of Planetes.

sry for my bad english

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thors is dead, so no way Ylfa lives with him, do you mean her mother? I don't think they become slaves either.
    But I agree on Thorfinn going back to Iceland (even if only for temporarily) and meet Ylfa again at least once.
    Love the Valhalla page, it seems Thorfinn is now afraid of being warrior and feel guilty for all the blood he shed. Seeing that in his dream he tried to climb up, he doesn't want to be back to his old self and running away from his past.
    Who will be in trouble most because of this fight, though? The slaves or the servants?

Country
    Seborga
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sama_al_Azraq View Post
    Thors is dead, so no way Ylfa lives with him, do you mean her mother? I don't think they become slaves either.
    But I agree on Thorfinn going back to Iceland (even if only for temporarily) and meet Ylfa again at least once.
    My mistake, i was talking about thorfinns mother Helga. She's the daughter of King Sigvaldis, so maybe after the death of Thor she went back to her father with Ylfa.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vizard5's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

no they are both still on iceland. ylfa is married and has kids, and helga is really sick. maybe dead by now. that is at least how it was when thorfinn met leif, maybe 1 or 2 years ago.

anyways, this chapter was epic! kinda funny how thorfinn thought it was all a bad dream. he never really liked fighting and only did it to get his revenge. he has stated before that he is digusted with people who fight for the love of figthing, so it's no surprise that he dosen't like what he sees in valhall or whatever it is he sees. we know how the dream ends with his saying that it will all be over if he falls and then he is dragged down to valhall. and the important thing he has forgotten might be that his father told him to only fight to protect himself and that he has no enemies, but it might also be revealed in the next chapter. askeladd has not shown up yet so i expect that we will see him in valhall next chapter. looking forward to it, these one month waits are killing me
    Last edited by Vizard5; December 29, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Great chapter, that idea of "Valhalla" was impressive. It certainly sets the further direction of Thorfinn's character.
    I wonder what will happen with Einar and how much longer he will accompany Thorfinn.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Einor will be a major character. He will probably leave Ketil Farm with Thorofinn. I also think Thorofinn will eventually make his way back to Iceland, that's the only viable route west to Vinland. I have a feeling he will become involved in the English wars again, as that is on the route back to Iceland. After that he will head west and a considerable amount of the series will be about Thorofinn's journey to North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Fê - forever alone View Post
    This chapter was so damn good, at least for me.

I got scaryed when I read the beginning, lol. I knew it was a dream, but I kept wondering, what if is not?!!!! Lol. And then, seeing Thors is always good, and seeing him lecturing his stupid son is even better, lol.
    Thought it was a Wizard of Oz moment and had a moment of terror no
    I would have been more scared if he woke up and spent the rest of the chapter cheerfully farming.

Quote Quote:
    Maybe, just maybe, Thorffin be finally able to understand his father, and by recollecting all his dream, he can find his own way to live like his father wanted to. Well, by seeing how war is, how "Valhalla trully is", he can learn something, right? I mean, perhaps Thors didn't want him to fight in a war because he "saw" and understood it well, he was able to find his path and way of life because of what he saw in wars, now his son can finally see the same thing and understand his will.

I don't know, this chapter was so deep, that I can't say what I thought of it right now.
    I think living a peaceful life like his father will be his goal, will fill the void of revenge. His father had Iceland, someday he will seek Vinland. I think part of the message is that he can't simply waltz into his peaceful life. He will have to fight for it, just like we all do. He doesn't have enemies, no one is standing in the way of this peaceful life. But, there will be people trying to hold him back. Through politics, slavery, violence, and war.

I think Thors didn't want him to fight, or at least leave Iceland, because Thors knew that he could stay and live a nice, happy life without worry. Having left, he must fight to make an Iceland of his own. I guess we all do though; once we graduate high school we all have to work to make a life for ourselves, free of our parents. Whether that means going to University or finding work, we do have to "fight" for ourselves and become independent. I think at the beginning of the series Thors was the classic over protective parent trying to protect his child from the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    On another note, I wonder what will be the consequences of Thorfinn and Einar's little outburst.
    I'd love to hear some good predictions about that, I'm pretty clueless. Realistically they would be executed. Maybe they have to flee. That could be a good reason for spending all that time showing the Ketil's father befriending them, maybe he helps Thorofinn and Einor escape.

Quote Originally Posted by blennz View Post
    He's been doing pretty short chapters recently. He's had some chapters under 20 chapters since he came back from his illness too. Not bad when it's a great chapter like this. Waiting a month for 18p about them borrowing a horse really was a bit of a drag

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius chapter, and that is pretty much what happens in Valhalla, you fight all day, party with Valkyries all night (Thorfinn missed that bit), and next morning all your wounds get healed, and repeat..

And there's some expressions that haven't been seen on Thorfinn's face for years..
    The best thing is that when the old woman from England turned up again, I re-read some of the early chapters with Thors, and the runaway slave in Iceland who Thors told about Vinland as he died (who I'd completely forgotten about).. and the sudden switch to Farmland seems less random now and more like it was planned from the start.

Einar is a badass. Interesting times to come. Realistically if they're not executed they will have to pay compensation (like the kid who was caught stealing and nearly ended up losing an arm). More realistically those guys will just come back with weapons. I can see Einar trying to pull an escape attempt next chapter..
    Last edited by Ratatosk; December 30, 2010 at 07:46 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the chances of them running away now are pretty high. After this Valhalla flashback, Thorfinn will probably get RESOLVE and head to Vinland. I wondered that he might get caught up with Canute's war and hang around with Thorkell for a bit but their storyline was tied up a while ago...

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBlitz View Post
    I think the chances of them running away now are pretty high. After this Valhalla flashback, Thorfinn will probably get RESOLVE and head to Vinland. I wondered that he might get caught up with Canute's war and hang around with Thorkell for a bit but their storyline was tied up a while ago...
    Yeah I think that he will head to his family and Vinland in a middle-term timing at least. I'm quite sure that he'll encounter Canute and Thorkell again, I just wonder in what manner that will happen.
    Thorkell might even become Thorfinn's comrade, I'm quite sure that this is a plausible scenario if they meet again. After all Thorkell was absolutely impressed by Thors, and Thorfinn will probably become a lot like Thors.

For the near future, Thorfinn will probably use some time on getting a clear mind and escape to his family then. But I'm terrible with such predictions for some reason.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast