Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vinland Saga 70 Discussion/71 Predictions

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga 70 Discussion/71 Predictions

rather than the Valhalla, this looked like the 5th level of hell, only true warrior can go to the Valhalla!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asdf_256 View Post
    rather than the Valhalla, this looked like the 5th level of hell, only true warrior can go to the Valhalla!
    That's probably the intention. Thorfinn's realising the terror of war. His idea of fighting always was a positive one it seems, about honor and strength in a way. For example, he always wanted to kill his father's murderer in a fair and square duel and obviously despised civilians or weak people.

That Valhalla - although he probably never really cared about that, after all his goal was revenge allone - would be a scary place, probably wouldn't have been a thought of the young Thorfinn. Fighting was his life. This zombie battlefield he saw probably was the result of acknowledging his father's ideas of fearing and hating war and combat.

So, I guess that it really was "Valhalla" how he sees it now, as a symbol. Not something noble and desirable anymore, but only terror and madness. A symbol for Thorfinn not beeing willing anymore to accept an "honorable death" in combat as a good thing.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

What a chapter, I totally loved it. The art was so captivating. We are almost there, we will know what are those dreams are all about. Valhalla, looks a symbolization for what troubles him. I don't believe its actually Valhalla he is seeing.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    What a chapter, I totally loved it. The art was so captivating. We are almost there, we will know what are those dreams are all about. Valhalla, looks a symbolization for what troubles him. I don't believe its actually Valhalla he is seeing.
    Yes, and that's why it makes so much sense that is Valhalla

The previous Thorfinn was defined by combat, don't you think? "Normal" Valhalla would be a good symbol for that, he tries to achieve satisfaction ("heaven") by fighting, so he keeps on fighting.
    But now, he sees "Hell" Valhalla instead, a scary vision. A symbol for the fact that he -subconsciously- accepted, that fighting doesn't give any satisfaction but only gives birth to suffering.

I think it's quite conclusive when describing it as his personal vision of valhalla.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    That's probably the intention. Thorfinn's realising the terror of war. His idea of fighting always was a positive one it seems, about honor and strength in a way. For example, he always wanted to kill his father's murderer in a fair and square duel and obviously despised civilians or weak people.

That Valhalla - although he probably never really cared about that, after all his goal was revenge allone - would be a scary place, probably wouldn't have been a thought of the young Thorfinn. Fighting was his life. This zombie battlefield he saw probably was the result of acknowledging his father's ideas of fearing and hating war and combat.

So, I guess that it really was "Valhalla" how he sees it now, as a symbol. Not something noble and desirable anymore, but only terror and madness. A symbol for Thorfinn not beeing willing anymore to accept an "honorable death" in combat as a good thing.
    It's such a nice inversion of typical action manga themes. You typically see action heroes, in seinen and shonen, draw strength from fighting. As they face more opponents they grow stronger, power up, and learn more about themselves. Vinland seems to be the opposite, to find himself he must abandon violence and revenge, it won't get him anywhere. Finding peace may require him to go back to war but now with the goal of finding a peaceful, quiet life. Not revenge.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

When Askeladd died, I knew back then Thorfin would have hard time to find a reason for existence. His dreams are related to the guilty of not avenging his father. But I think as the story progresses, he will learn to let of the guilt.

As Kaiten said, I liked it too. Thorfinn will eventually find peace though may have to fight again. I have said it in previous thread or the one before it, the story may no longer evolve around his personal grudge. I can see story moving towards a grander plot.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by repme; January 25, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vizard5's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i will wait for the scanlation, it will probably be out in a few days..

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes usually, the chapters are our at the end of the month or the first week of the coming month. Scans should available in few days. I will wait for them too. I am so excited for the chapter. I am hoping the story picking up the pace. The last chapter was pretty good.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vizard5's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

actually the chapter has been out for a couple of days now

http://mangastream.com/read/vinland_saga/23803426/1

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2