Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: Your most favourite cuisson is...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raw (Blue froid)

0 0%
  • Blue (Blue chaud)

0 0%
  • Rare (Saignant)

3 27.27%
  • Medium Rare (Saignant-Plus)

6 54.55%
  • Medium (A point)

3 27.27%
  • Well done (Bien Cuit)

1 9.09%
  • Over done (Trop Cuit)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your most favourite cuisson

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Your most favourite cuisson

It isn't a recipe but well it does belong in this section. I have always wondered what is your most favourite cuisson. The cuisson is maybe one of the toughest aspects in cooking because it isn't always easy to have the right cuisson. So I wonder: when you order beef/steak. How do you ask it? Why?

Well, I mostly ask mine rare, medium rare and medium. I used to ask it more rare when I was young but I tend to order it medium nowadays. I never liked my meat well done or over done because imo you can't taste the meat with it very good. I always think that with the three I choose, the taste of the meat is at its best
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your most favourite cuisson

Have you ever tasted a tartare ?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Have you ever tasted a tartare ?
    Yes, I have, kinda like Carpaccio too, it is are raw meat. Steak tartare isn't my favourite meal but a good preparation to it can make the difference, don't you think so?

So, I kinda like both but when I eat a steak, I really wouldn't like it to be blue inside while it looks baked on the outside
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I wouldn't it tartare every time but once in a while is good. I guess it's like japanese raw fish.
    Once I ate a tuna steak which was half raw/half cooked and it was delicious.
    As for meat, I tend to like it rare also it depends on the type. I prefer sheep meat a bit more cooked than beef.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for 'medium rare'. For me, that's the perfect temperature of a steak. Now, I can actually go as high as medium, but anything beyond that seems dry and overcooked to me. I can't say I've ever ordered meat to be prepared 'rare', though. I'm not sure if I would like it like this or not. Probably so. I have never had a tartare or carpaccio, though I would be willing to try it. Raw fish certainly doesn't scare me. I love sushi and, as k-dom said, a nice tuna steak which is seared on the outside, but rare on the inside is really yummy. :3

Is it true that there is a difference in standards for temperature depending on what country you go to? For example, I have heard that in Europe the standard for what is considered 'medium rare' is less cooked than it is here in the US.
    Last edited by igotthegoods; January 03, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I am the only one who voted on more than one cuisson, a question to you all - I can safely assume that you'll always order your meat like that. Imagine that it isn't cooked like you ordered, does that make you angry? Would you send it back? Or do you eat it? Do you dislike the other ones for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    Probably so. I have never had a tartare or carpaccio, though I would be willing to try it.

Is it true that there is a difference in standards for temperature depending on what country you go to? For example, I have heard that in Europe the standard for what is considered 'medium rare' is less cooked than it is here in the US.
    You should definitely try it out because the meat itself will be seasoned by great ingredients...

Eg. Carpaccio itself can sound off but you can season it with a good olive oil/citron juice, pepper, sea salt and parmezan and/or pine nuts -> it will taste completely different

Yep, I added the french terms too because they differ. Medium rare is something we mostly don't take. Saignant Plus is a rarity over here. We mostly ordered our meat rare in NYC

As for meat, I tend to like it rare also it depends on the type. I prefer sheep meat a bit more cooked than beef.
    Why do you remind me of this awesome lamb meat over here
    Last edited by Koen; January 03, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

As a farmer son, I have the opportunity to eat great lamb meat. We had a barbecue for the birthday of my sister this summer and with such delicious meat, I think it's impossible I become vegetarian one day :-)

As for your question, I think cuisson mistakes are generally meats that are not enough cooked. Hence since I like it rare, I'm almost always satisfied. Even if it's a bit too cooked to my taste, I prefer not loose time having my plate go back in the kitchen while my friends are already eating :-)

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Since I am the only one who voted on more than one cuisson, a question to you all - I can safely assume that you'll always order your meat like that. Imagine that it isn't cooked like you ordered, does that make you angry? Would you send it back? Or do you eat it? Do you dislike the other ones for sure?
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a multiple choice poll. >_< (Is there any certain reason it's closed, btw?) If I had realized, I would've voted for both medium rare and medium. I usually go medium-rare with steaks and other meats, but I will still enjoy it if it's slightly more cooked. Just not overcooked and dry.

Also, I'm not the type to send back food if the temperature of the meat isn't exactly right. Generally, I'm a pretty easy going and easy to please person who doesn't like to cause a fuss. But if it's inedible, it's going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen
    You should definitely try it out because the meat itself will be seasoned by great ingredients...

Eg. Carpaccio itself can sound off but you can season it with a good olive oil/citron juice, pepper, sea salt and parmezan and/or pine nuts -> it will taste completely different
    You make it sound yummy. I'll have to give it a try. Probably at a nicer restaurant, though. If a place is too sketchy looking, I don't think I'd trust eating raw meat from there.

Yep, I added the french terms too because they differ. Medium rare is something we mostly don't take. Saignant Plus is a rarity over here. We mostly ordered our meat rare in NYC
    Thanks, that's what I thought. Perhaps my take on medium rare is actually closer to what you'd consider to be medium in Belgium.

What's the difference between rare and blue? I'm assuming blue is less cooked than rare, but we don't really have that term here. Is Blue cooked or seared only on the outside, but is essentially raw on the inside?

Why do you remind me of this awesome lamb meat over here
    My god, that looks tasty.

As a farmer son, I have the opportunity to eat great lamb meat. We had a barbecue for the birthday of my sister this summer and with such delicious meat, I think it's impossible I become vegetarian one day :-)
    I feel the same way! I actually enjoy a lot of vegetarian dishes, but I don't think I could give up meat forever. I like it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom
    As for your question, I think cuisson mistakes are generally meats that are not enough cooked. Hence since I like it rare, I'm almost always satisfied. Even if it's a bit too cooked to my taste, I prefer not loose time having my plate go back in the kitchen while my friends are already eating :-)
    I have found that the opposite is true when I've had cuisson mistakes, but that could just be me. Usually my steak will come out a bit overcooked rather than under. And because they have to start over from scratch, those mistakes take a long time to fix and I just usually end up keeping my overcooked steak.

Most Beautiful Male 2013 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't realise that it was multiple choice either. As for my choice I chose well done; mostly because that's how I was raised to eat my meat back home; well seasoned and well cooked. Through the years though, I have grown used to eating steak from medium rare a very few times to mostly medium to well.

With some restaurants, I can have medium to well, but it's difficult to get that balance of well cooked and juicy; a fact I'm always wary of.

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

What is with black people and over cooking their meat bob...Every black person I know, not just African American, but Caribbean and Jamaican etc all like to burn their meat to a crisp...

As for me, I enjoy my steaks cooked medium rare so that they've been browned with a nice crust on the outside the outside but pink to almost red in the center.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know Sai, it's how I grew up eating my meat everywhere I went until I came to Europe; so there wasn't a reason/need to question it. That didn't really dawn on my until later in life when I started going out to fancy places to eat and working in hospitality that people have their steaks different to us.

I found though, 2 articles online about this, and they both pretty much similar to what I'm saying but in more depth:

Quote Quote:
    Like most things, there are multiple ways to look at this. I remember growing up with nobody in my family getting burgers/steaks/etc any way besides well done. Which I’m sure sounds crazy to many whites out there, but that’s just the way it was. And because I grew up like that and never thought anything of it, I continued to order “well done” as a teenager up until college. It took me working for a fancy-pants French chef (I told you, I’ve had a ton of jobs) and picking his brain to learn how good steak (particularly filet) should be eaten at medium rare or rare. It grew on me and today I now enjoy fancy cuts at medium rare and cheap stuff at medium well.

Now I could get up here and make up some historical bullshit about slavery and fire hoses and racist German Shepards and scraps and milk steak and say that’s the reason why we order our stuff well done, but honestly I have no idea how it started. But I challenge all the non-blacks reading this to look at it from our point of view: rare meat is raw. You are literally ripping into the under-cooked flesh of another animal. That’s why it’s red — it’s not fully cooked. Sure, you get juices and flavor and blah blah blah, I get it. But it doesn’t change the fact that your carnivorous instincts have you purposefully not cooking your meat all the way so you can enjoy the taste of the raw animal muscle. Kinda gross when you think about it. source
    Quote Quote:
    It’s so funny that you said that about the steak, because I didn’t really think white people noticed. My dad is straight from Jamaica, and in my house, we grew up gawking at white people who ate their steak “raw” as he called it (anything less than well done). I can’t even tell him I eat my steak medium now (that’s still the furthest I can go, and I feel like a rule-breaking rebel just for that). He would faint just to hear the words. source

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...I find this incredibly odd...but I can understand it at least, but I still think it's wrong and your people are butchering fantastic pieces of meat >.>

Also, if the juice is red, it's not blood and the people who freak out that it is are stupid: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-is-not-blood/

---------- Post added October 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was October 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM ----------

and just because, here is a perfectly cooked USDA Prime grade Cowboy (Bone-in) Ribeye

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sai_the_Shaman View Post
    Hmmm...I find this incredibly odd...but I can understand it at least, but I still think it's wrong and your people are butchering fantastic pieces of meat >.>

Also, if the juice is red, it's not blood and the people who freak out that it is are stupid: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-is-not-blood/
    Stop saying "your people" we're not all like that .

See, that I didn't know. Thanks for the link. So the teeny bits of blood are left in the muscles, but the rsest is just a mixture with the juice. Interesting.

Lovely piece of steak there. I tried to look for one in my albums but I didn't find anything....Soon .

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

For this one specific thing, I say black people are all alike unless they've been taken aside and corrected >.>;; In everything else they're completely unique individuals....but for cooking their meat...ALL THE SAME!

Also, come visit America, the home of steak!

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sai_the_Shaman View Post
    For this one specific thing, I say black people are all alike unless they've been taken aside and corrected >.>;; In everything else they're completely unique individuals....but for cooking their meat...ALL THE SAME!

Also, come visit America, the home of steak!
    Ones born and raised here are more easily inclined to medium-medium rare steak that those who have come to settle I think. I'm sure there are some that I know that have their steak differently.

Yes, soon.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast