Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Do you like the second part of vinland saga

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes i like it

53 81.54%
  • stand by

8 12.31%
  • nope, its really boring

4 6.15%
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you like the second part of Vinland Saga?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you like the second part of Vinland Saga?

I actually like the Slave Arc better than the rest of the manga. I like Thorfinn as a character, so I kind of just want to see what he does and how he develops. I personally don't really care for Canute or the chapters featuring him and I don't really want to see any more fighting or war.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Second part has been awesome.
    Many life lessons, character development and growth.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I actually like the Slave Arc better than the rest of the manga. I like Thorfinn as a character, so I kind of just want to see what he does and how he develops. I personally don't really care for Canute or the chapters featuring him and I don't really want to see any more fighting or war.
    You will be disappointed.

Though what I'm looking forward to...is the Vinland itself.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind returning to war again. I am very curious to see what thorfinn's and canut's reaction to war would be this time, now that both of them has gone throug such different experiences and changes in their lives.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the second part but the story needs to move on. We all know, Thorfinn will fight sooner or later. Its a monthly series and now I feel the current plot is stretched too much. I can understand what the mangaka is trying to do. However, I am getting a bot bored with the pace.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One aspect I am looking forward to in the story is the influence of Christianity on the Viking culture and of Europe in general.
    There's already been some interaction between Vikings and Christians in the story and if the story follows history there's going
    to be a lot more. I'm especially interested in Canute's relationship with the Roman Catholic church.
    While I am Christian myself (though not Roman Catholic) the reason it interests me is more on a historical level.
    Also I'm quite interested in how Thorfinn's dealing with Christianity is portrayed. I think it will be cool to see more conflict
    of theologies and philosophies between Norse religion and Christian religion. I mean I'm not looking for something preachy
    at all but it would be cool if it discussed the elements and then let the readers decide. And since I'm gonna guess
    the author ISN'T Christian or a Viking it will be interesting to see their perspective on the whole dealio.

In any case I'm excited for more Vinland Saga awesomeness.

Last edited by Josef K.; April 17, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it , This arc showing how Throffin changed from an harsh and hatfull character who killed so many for revenge to a mature character that has peaceful behavior , to someone who think about life !!

This arc was necessary for this good story !!!

but the number of pages for a monthly manga is really low ... if it was 28-30 pages , then this arc would be better !!!
    خداحافظ

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. I love reading Thorfinn's development. But I gotta say, at times it gets boring with no action, especially since Vinland is monthly.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda cheating that I'm doing this now that the arc has picked up and we are clearly reaching the climax, but after re-reading the entire series recently I have almost a new-found respect for this arc (which I've liked since the beginning actually). The very early parts of the series are filled with talks about slaves and what it means to be a true warrior, and this arc has taught Thorfinn what it means to be a slave (something very few can say they've experienced in the past tense) and allowed him to begin his (almost inevitably) slow growth towards the kind of man Thors was. I think if this series continues on the mild philosophical path it's been toying I believe we will look back on this arc as the most important of the series. While considerably slower than the previous section of the series that attracted most of the readers, I enjoyed the stagnation while he was/is a slave. Isn't that what slavery might feel like? Gave him time to slow down and reflect on the words of his father like he never could have on the battlefield. Feels more realistic and engaging to me this way. Bah, I like it lol.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

This arc has made Vinland Saga one of my favourite WORKS I've ever read. Seriously, elevated from simply favourite manga to favourite anything. It's about catharsis, pathos, escaping your past and coming to terms with how no one could really escape violence back in those days, even if they tried their hardest. They always ended up on the top or on their asses. The author took a huge risk but this build-up is going to triple, quadruple with the payoff in the end.

So yes, I love it.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, plus it's about farming!

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The farmland saga is awesome. I loved the first part, and was gravely disappointed that my favorite character was killed (Askeladd)...but this arc is amazing in its own right. The burdens of slavery...from the meager meals (just enough to survive and not enough to have the energy to fight back), to the outright prejudice and mockery despite not causing problems, to the separated families, dreams of freedom...yet almost not knowing what to do since you've known a slave's life for so long, the beatings/punishments, the fact that you are property/owned and can be killed by the master at any point and for any reason should he/she feel like it.

On top of that we get to see how Canute has turned out...what a damn waste of Askeladd's life and everyone else who joined his cause. Poisoning...seriously? No more unmanly way to kill than that. To your own brother...who was always kind to you? To keep a straight face, I know Canute is very successful historically, but man I'd love to see him get his comeuppance.

We also see other familiar faces in Canute's army, Iron fist Ketil and his interesting family dynamic. Thorfinn's transformation, and his dealing with regrets. All of this makes the slave arc an excellent read.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2