Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Will Kenichi ever wield a weapon?

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Kenichi ever wield a weapon?

So far, we've never seen Kenichi wield a weapon before - he's always used his bare fists. While he's doing great like that, I could definitely see him possibly picking up a weapon to have on him as well in the future. He already has a weapons master (Shigure), and since his style is a combo of a variety of arts, why not a weapon as well

Do you think Kenichi should wield a weapon, and what type of weapon should he wield?

I'm thinking a short dagger or Wakizashi might be ideal as it's not too big and can be easily be pulled out to complement his other moves

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Omnion_1990's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Kenichi ever wield a weapon?

Technically his gauntlets count as "weapons". But otherwise I dont see him having a weapon. his masters do fine just with their bodies, and i think he will too.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

HSD: Kenichi manga, and Kenichi himself, is mostly about non-weapon combat martial arts, so he's not going to become Shigure and actually use weapons.

However, Shigure is very important for Kenichi, as while he probably won't ever use weapons, some of his opponents obviously already have, do, or will. So, for the defense against weapons, Shigure is indeed needed and vital.

Also, Shigure's weapon martial arts does involve non-weapon martial arts movement and techniques as well, so again Shigure is useful for Kenichi, along with the other masters' martial arts styles.

While Kenichi probably won't ever use weapons, Shigure teaches Kenichi how to fight, strike, and move his body as if it was a weapon, now all the other masters' martial arts techniques do this as well (as the body is a weapon, a fist, punch, kick, knee, headbutt, elbow, or palm can be just as deadly/dangerous as any actual weapon), but Shigure's techniques/style are still unique, just as each of the other masters techniques/styles are unique from each other as well.

-------------------------------------------------

It's like:

why learn a snake, tiger, monkey, or crane style if you're a human?

why learn weapon styles if you're not ever going to actually use a weapon?

because it's the style itself (the movement, positioning, and techniques; the non-weapon stuff) that's important, even if it's about weapon usage or claw/teeth/fangs/body type animal usage.

just because you don't have the body of an animal or its teeth/fangs/claws, doesn't mean you can't use its movement, positioning, and techniques of attacking or dodging.

the same is true with weapons, just because you don't use weapons, doesn't mean you can't use its movement, positioning, and techniques of attacking or dodging.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 27, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Kenichi will end up picking up a weapon. Shigure doesn't just teach him how to defend against weapon users, she also teaches him how to use them. I think he'll probably end up doing in order to protect one of his friends from someone that is a master class that is way too much for him without a weapon. It's possible, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen if it was just a once in a blue moon type of thing. Ken would probably do pretty good with a weapon.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see him using a weapon as for now. Also I'd say that he needs to become more proficient in non-weapon martial arts to come closer to a master level. Learning to use weapons would be too much for him at this moment.
    At least Shigure will teach him how to become better in fights against weapon users.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenichi using a weapon would be like Sanji was using his hands. It happens once in One piece but I don't see it happen in Kenichi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The Body ( hands and feets ) is his weaponn in my opinion. No more to say xD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well from what I can see , Kemichi is more on the lines of Elder's path . He is being taught basics and some other stances/moves by his masters , but all his real trump cards come from the Elder .

So far he taught Kenichi 2 moves who right now are like staple moves in his arsenal w/o which he can't do much .

Since elder doesn't use a weapon I dont expect Keni to either .

As far as Shigure goes , she teaches him how to fight weapon users and to learn that he is taught a little bit of weapon usage . All in all Keni is a non weapon user .

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From a plot perspective, it doesn't make sense for Kenichi to not wield a weapon. Kenichi will inherit (almost) everything from his masters. That includes Shigure's techniques, and we know Kenichi is familiar with them to the point he can copy Shigure's movements. Out of his peer group (Shinpaku + YOMI), he is probably the most adept at using + defending weapons considering how he has been trained. And the best way to show Kenichi's skill is to have fight with a weapon.

Will we see him wield a weapon, however? That scenario is unlikely because the author places little emphasis on Shigure's teachings when compared to Kenichi's other masters.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think kenichi will ever use a weapon in battle but I do think he should learn how to use one. He could use the principles taught to him to develop new techniques and to get a better understanding of how to fight armed enemies.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see him learning to use something non-lethal... at least while he is learning. Maybe start with a staff or maybe a shinai but I don't really see him going to a fight with anything more lethal. He should be trained to be able to fight with whatever is handy rather than carrying around an assortment of weapons.

The masters might even train him to disarm the enemy and use the enemy's own weapons against them.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I still find it a bit absurd for kenichi to not use weapons.... His fists are already pretty much deadly weapons for one thing. For another, mua thai is a style that is specifically made to kill and no other reason (unless kenichi thinks being kneed in the face won't kill his enemy). Ma will eventually teach kenichi how to use those jabs which apparently work as swords too. It's not like knowing deadly techniques or learning how to use weapons will result in kenichi killing someone. Heck, its not like we see the masters killing people left and right with their deadly techniques. In some fights even using deadly techniques has been necessary for them to come out of the fights alive without killing their enemies.....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Kenichi would be good at throwing Shuriken if his father's skill with his guns is inherited by Kenichi. Seriously though I would love to see Kenichi have some Shuriken training if only for disarming people.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bludvein's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shigure also teaches him non-combat related techs in. Like how to swim and tie knots. She can also teach him stealth and survival techniques. Thats pretty much it.

As for actually learning a weapon from her....extremely doubtful. Kenichi hates blades, and that rules out the majority of them. Besides, weapons are fine for Shigure because thats what she was around from childhood, but Kenichi has absolutely no reason to learn one. His body is already enough of a weapon as is for inducing blunt force.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlink310 View Post
    I think Kenichi would be good at throwing Shuriken if his father's skill with his guns is inherited by Kenichi. Seriously though I would love to see Kenichi have some Shuriken training if only for disarming people.
    Throwing weapons would be a handy skill to pick up too. Not only for the obvious uses, but the utility. Masters seem to get into a lot of weird situations where random skills come in handy. Like disarming a bomb for example.

Its not an immediately useful skill though. Right now Yami/Yomi want him dead, so he doesn't have the time to learn something like that when he could be improving his skill so he doesn't die.
    Last edited by Bludvein; July 14, 2011 at 03:04 AM.

New Reply