Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [FEATURED] Shingeki no Kyojin by ISAYAMA Hajime

If you are accessing through MU, make sure to click the website link. Register there. The forum link takes you to JCafe, who have quite a few requirements to download.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 17, 2011 at 09:09 PM.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree with Goodsy that the weird proportions in some pages really bugged me. It's kinda inconsistent in that some pages the art looks really good (like the page Kaiten provided), yet some other pages look like a totally different person drew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    What I am really curious about is what will happen to Eren (no spoilers, I'll be patient ). Did he survive, if he did how and will he ever fight again, if he didn't how his death effects the course of the series. I feel like he did survive, though I am not 100% certain of my prediction.
    It would kinda be odd to kill off the main character in the first volume, so I'm thinking he will live through this. Of course, this series could do something totally different (maybe this is why this manga is causing such a buzz! ). Anyway, if Eren is alive, maybe Mikasa will now go on a journey to find and save him.

Somehow this loss of limbs and all that is reminding me of Fullmetal Alchemist

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There is the possibility that Eren is not the main character. His past and the experimentation his father conducted might be the key to the story, with him gone it's up to the other characters to untangle. I'm probably over analyzing, he probably will live. If he does I wonder how he will compensate for losing an arm and a leg.

Kind reminded me of FMA. Ed loses limbs for trying to play god, Eren courageously sacrifices them for the sake of protecting his home and friends.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I was like when that Titan ate Eren's mother. The main character is not very impressive. I mean the sketch of Eren is not so interesting. Some panels felt awkward. Overall the art is decent. It portrays the darkness of the plot.

I think Titan is something that was created by Humans as an experiment. I could be deadly wrong here. But something make me think that Eren father has to do something with this whole business. Eren is not dead, or eaten by the Titan. I speculate, his dad gave him something other than just losing memories. He, as a human, should not be able to match them one-one.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Since people in the thread have already revealed what has happened to Eren? so far in the 1st volume. I feel that the loss of his limbs were purposefully done along with the flashback of him getting injected by his father. Meaning that maybe his father discovered the genes of a titan that give them their ability to regenerate limbs, and injected those genes into Eren along with maybe other titan abilities/genes? My speculation, but I hope Eren survives like some others want to believe and kicks some titan ass!

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting theory, and it would certainly be cool if they were true. Of course, Kaiten is also right that Eren may not even be the main character at all...

But if Eren isn't the main character and dies hereafter, I wonder how the rest will be able to find out what sort of experimentation his father had done on him and if it had worked or not. The city would hardly care enough about yet another fallen soldier, he wouldn't even get a autopsy...

Even more interesting would be if Eren is not the only guinea pig his dad had.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wocman View Post
    Since people in the thread have already revealed what has happened to Eren? so far in the 1st volume. I feel that the loss of his limbs were purposefully done along with the flashback of him getting injected by his father. Meaning that maybe his father discovered the genes of a titan that give them their ability to regenerate limbs, and injected those genes into Eren along with maybe other titan abilities/genes? My speculation, but I hope Eren survives like some others want to believe and kicks some titan ass!
    Sounds like the most reasonable explanation. I also hope Eren survive and your theory would make plot sense. Let's hypothetically say that Eren's father made a vaccine to recover from the mysterious plague, that vaccine could use genetic material from the titans for massive regeneration. Maybe he used Eren as a guinea pig. If you are right I assume there will be some horrific side effect so that it does not become an immortality potion. Maybe it slowly turns you into a titan.

From what I've been hearing, the series really gets epic in volume 2. I can't wait until it comes out.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

An article about Isayama from Gendai Business if anyone interested
    http://gendai.ismedia.jp/articles/-/1980
    You can see his photo too there

9. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have a hard time to like this new manga. I tried it because it's the new hyped manga in japan but there are too many things I don't like.

I don't like:
    - the art
    - the main character (his sister would be a better main character IMO)
    - the pace
    - Too negative / no comic relief at all

It has potential because it's original, will be epic & is already spectacular but that won't be enough for me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Understandable. I expect this to be a very dark manga, the plot doesn't lend itself to much but black humor. Shingeki will most likely be a much darker action series, closer to Claymore or Berserk than Naruto and One Piece. I kind of expected the art to be a turn off for a lot of people. I love it, but I'm used to artists like Taiyo Matsumoto who specialize in this very rough art style. It's quite common in alternative manga but almost unheard of in mainstream seinen or shonen. Other than Nougami Neuro I can't remember a shonen with alternative style art. In general the art of Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has impressed me. None look like Shingeki but most have more mature, developed art than is typical for shonen. All series have a unique feel to them.

I have a feeling Mikasa will either be the main character or the Al to Eren's Ed starting with volume 2. I assume the massive loss to the Titans at the end of volume 1 changes character relationship beginning in volume 2. Won't know til scans come out though ^^
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 06, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Characters will become more interesting & endearing in the future. At the beginning, Guts was pretty dull as well. So , there is hope .

Quote Quote:
    Other than Nougami Neuro I can't remember a shonen with alternative style art.
    I get what you mean but there are many shounen with their own atypical art.

In the mainstream, One piece is already extremely different & atypical. I hated the art the first time I read it. People are now used to it but it was very original.

Korean work like Ares & Shin angyo onshi have their own style as well.

There is also all the work from CLAMP ...

Quote Quote:
    in this very rough art style
    IMO the art is old-fashioned. With this kind of art, this manga would have fit in the 80-90s.
    Last edited by zelllogan; February 06, 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

OP is a good comparison. I know a lot of people who won't read it because of the art. I didn't like the art at first either. I do think there are a lot of shonen with unique art styles, but it feels like most popular have a more cookie cutter feel.

I'm not entirely sure about being 90's style. I do think it would fit in well in that era but I find it more reminiscent of recent series like Freesia or Bokurano, more of an IKKI or F X Comics style.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin by ISAYAMA Hajime

Well I finally got around to reading the first volume and I can safely say I enjoyed it. Sure, it hasn't lived up to the hype from what I've read, but it's good nonetheless. The story is simple, but it's interesting, sort of like Berserk and Claymore. There could've been some more character development, but its just the 1st volume so its not much of a problem.

As for the artwork, I'm kind of mixed. It was pretty bad in the first chapter, but by the end of the volume it seemed to have begun improving. I don't mind a sketchy style of art, in fact I'm all for it, however I think it could've been pulled off better. I think that if the series had a old-fashioned aesthetic like that of Berserk, Claymore, Vinland Saga or Vagabond, it would be much better. As it is, the artwork is kind of rough. The use of perspective is at times great, but at times weird. The vanishing points seem like vortexes ! However, the fight scenes containing the giants are awesome and dynamic. One other little gripe I have with the artwork is how bland the backgrounds look. The walled city looks like something out of a generic JRPG. I love the volume covers though, they actually mislead me a bit when it comes to the art .

Can't wait to read some new chapters!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I did notice the backgrounds were a little bland. The city itself works better as bland; the characters live in a society that is basically agoraphobic, the blandness is almost symbolic of a bland, unchanging, closed space, that everyone is to afraid to leave. Eren's dream of leaving is partially fueled by wanting a simple change of scenery.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point. It could also be bland due to the city having to be reconstructed again and again. In a society like that, its efficiency that counts. I think that the backgrounds could use a little touch is all. Take the backgrounds in Bleach for example. Places like Las Noches are very bland and simple, but the way Kubo shades the backgrounds gives a very "eerie" (for lack of a better word) feel.

New Reply
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast