Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 45 of 90 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yumpo View Post
    Actually...I don't think it would make sense....since the Survey Corp actually has just recently returned from the expedition the time Reiner and Bertolt attacked. They couldn't have possibly took off again during the attack because of those casualties. But they could've encountered the Female Titan during the expedition. Thus the reason why they have suffered great damages when they went back. The other possibility that they could have seen Annie's titan form was just right after RB's attack. And another would be during the recovery mission. But the recovery mission wouldn't make sense 'cause Annie is already inside of Wall Rose at that time, of course, that is if we accept the anime's cameo. She shouldn't have access to a maneuver gear until 2 years after the attack. She could've climbed Wall Rose any time with her Titan form during those past years, but shouldn't we have heard that there were weird markings along the walls? Then again, the Garrison isn't also known for their diligence like the MP.
    There don't necessarily need to be markings on the walls. Bert could have made some empty titan body "shells" for them to climb up like stairs. But remember the records of RBA's background are almost certainly falsified, so who knows where (or when...) they were living until five years ago. Also, Bert and Reiner attacked from outside the walls. I don't see why Annie can't have. I can see Annie possibly having a hidden history with the Church or something because of her history with her father and all, but Reiner and Bert don't seem to fit anywhere. There shouldn't be any villages outside the walls, as they've implied (aside from the potential for alternate universes or time travel or something).

Remember, at the end of Trost, Levi and Hange were talking about how it was just like 5 years ago that they were led away from the outer walls right as RB(A) made their coordinated attack.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well, the humans with the ability to become Titans seem to have control over there abilities, even healing. You saw it with Reiner and his chomped arm.

But to be honest, the idea that Rivaille, Mikasa, etc will all eventually be Titans kind of turns me off. It's kind of overboard with something that's supposed to be unique and mysterious.
    I'm not a fan of the idea of Levi or Mikasa (or Jean or Historia for that matter if it ever comes to that) becoming titans either. Just saying technically it's possible, you know? I would also say Sasha and Connie but somehow I think it could be really hilarious if one or both of them went titan. XD
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 29, 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    There don't necessarily need to be markings on the walls. Bert could have made some empty titan body "shells" for them to climb up like stairs. But remember the records of RBA's background are almost certainly falsified, so who knows where (or when...) they were living until five years ago. Also, Bert and Reiner attacked from outside the walls. I don't see why Annie can't have. I can see Annie possibly having a hidden history with the Church or something because of her history with her father and all, but Reiner and Bert don't seem to fit anywhere. There shouldn't be any villages outside the walls, as they've implied (aside from the potential for alternate universes or time travel or something).

Remember, at the end of Trost, Levi and Hange were talking about how it was just like 5 years ago that they were led away from the outer walls right as RB(A) made their coordinated attack.
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot to factor in Bert's Titan form. Probably because I've always thought Annie doesn't like asking help from RB. However, we've never really seen an empty shell of their forms before.

Of course, I already took account that their background is falsified and all. But I don't remember when was it implied(with the latest chapters) that there aren't any villages outside the walls...Hange had said in Chapter 42 that RB's destination most probably lies beyond Wall Maria. RB kept saying that they're bringing Eren to their home village and the direction they're heading seemed to be what Hange had predicted. Though Hange could be wrong anytime....

And about Hange and Levi talking about what happened 5 years before, what chapter is that? I also don't remember that part...

Geez, I think I need to reread the manga again. XDD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

While it's true the walls are generally believed to be the last human settlement in the whole world, the 'we have no clue about what lies outside the walls' theme is a very strong one in the series.

It wouldn't really surprise me if more hidden settlements were to be somewhere out there.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yumpo View Post
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot to factor in Bert's Titan form. Probably because I've always thought Annie doesn't like asking help from RB. However, we've never really seen an empty shell of their forms before.

Of course, I already took account that their background is falsified and all. But I don't remember when was it implied(with the latest chapters) that there aren't any villages outside the walls...Hange had said in Chapter 42 that RB's destination most probably lies beyond Wall Maria. RB kept saying that they're bringing Eren to their home village and the direction they're heading seemed to be what Hange had predicted. Though Hange could be wrong anytime....

And about Hange and Levi talking about what happened 5 years before, what chapter is that? I also don't remember that part...

Geez, I think I need to reread the manga again. XDD
    Chapter 9.5, p.24-25 (Erwin tells Levi they have to rush back and that it's just like 5 years ago). Erwin and Levi, not Hange and Levi-- my mistake there, but the main point is still true. They got sent away both times.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it doesn't really make sense cause didn't we just saw how battered the returning Survey Corp was in Chapter 1? Erwin hasn't really said that they were sent away during both times. When he said that the same thing happened like 5 years ago, it probably just meant the wall being broken.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 9.5, 24-25 and I had to go to Mangahere for it because Mangabird doesn't have the "special chapter..."

Spoiler show
    As you can see, the titans wherever they were were behaving just like five years ago too.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 9.5, 24-25 and I had to go to Mangahere for it because Mangabird doesn't have the "special chapter..."

Spoiler show
    As you can see, the titans wherever they were were behaving just like five years ago too.
    Of course, but they never really said that they were also gone in an expedition while Reiner and Bert attacked the gates of Wall Maria.

Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 were one single day.
    Spoiler show

We all saw them returning, right? These pages happened before RB attacked.
    Last edited by Yumpo; July 30, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that all of them though, or just the injured ones? Where's Erwin, who was with them at the beginning of the chapter?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point. But I don't think the Survey Corp as a whole would left a lot of troops behind. If they were to left anyone behind, chances of survival are almost zero like what happened to Ilse. Then again, it may be that Levi was with Erwin at that time if they ever were. I would've provided the anime as a source but....it's anime, not the manga. XDD

However, we're talking about the Survey Corp as a whole here. I'm pretty sure it's most of them. I mean the commander at that time knew who was dead and not.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not wrong IN THE ANIME they clearly showed Irwin in that group of Survey Corps, and he observed Eren too.

Found:

From 09:04
    Last edited by teioh; July 30, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he might have been there in the anime but I know Yumpo is very strict about sticking to canon (i.e. the manga), and she knows already, as she mentioned it above. If they just got their you-know-whats handed to them and came back home then I don't know why Erwin would be talking like that to Levi in chapter 9.5. He had to have had the opportunity to notice titans were moving northward, even if his squad didn't end up doing anything about it at the time.

Rather, I suspect that the man who was in charge of the Scouting Legion at the time-- or one of the squads we see passing through Shinganshina at least? --was not so on top of things as they are now. (Actually, he calls himself "incompetent" while talking to that dead soldier's mother, but I think that "confession" came out of his guilt and he probably has some competency at least. He's just not such a brilliant mind as Erwin-- but it's hard to come close to him.)

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Not sure if this should be a new post or not, but for those who want it, I just came across the first two chapters of the JHS spinoff (shingeki kyojin chuugakkou) here.
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 30, 2013 at 05:17 PM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

What about SnK prequel spin off titled "Before the Fall" or something similar?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he might have been there in the anime but I know Yumpo is very strict about sticking to canon (i.e. the manga), and she knows already, as she mentioned it above. If they just got their you-know-whats handed to them and came back home then I don't know why Erwin would be talking like that to Levi in chapter 9.5. He had to have had the opportunity to notice titans were moving northward, even if his squad didn't end up doing anything about it at the time.
    It does feel like they experienced this before, well, at least according to Gantz scans. Have you checked the raws? The official translation has a kind of different feel to it than the scanlations, at least in my opinion. XD

I guess we're allowed to post the official translations without providing the scans, right? I mean there isn't anything written in my copy that says we're not allowed to reproduce anything unlike Viz translated manga. Their translation goes like this:

Starting from the third to the last panel, where we see Erwin with a portion of the horse's head
    "The titans are after the town! They've started moving northward as a group!"
    "It's just like five years ago. Something's happening in the town."
    "They may have..."
    "...Broken through the wall!"

Or maybe I'm feeling it wrong as well even with the official translations?

Quote Quote:
    Rather, I suspect that the man who was in charge of the Scouting Legion at the time-- or one of the squads we see passing through Shinganshina at least? --was not so on top of things as they are now. (Actually, he calls himself "incompetent" while talking to that dead soldier's mother, but I think that "confession" came out of his guilt and he probably has some competency at least. He's just not such a brilliant mind as Erwin-- but it's hard to come close to him.)
    You know, I'm thinking of something....What if this past commander is already dead? XD. I mean, I don't think he'd have the time to retire after the wall was attacked. Humanity needs all the manpower it could get. That's why we don't see him at all? XDDD

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    What about SnK prequel spin off titled "Before the Fall" or something similar?
    I don't think anyone has picked that up yet. Considering it's a light novel, I think it's a lot harder to translate than a manga. Also, reviews had said that the SNK light novels are on a meh level when put in a scale, especially the first one. The second and third are at least better than the first or so they say. XDD

@kannazuki
    I guess I do am a little strict with sticking to canon. . Anything not written or directed by the original authors themselves are kind of considered not canon. At least to me. XD. Though being "supervised" is a different story altogether. XDD. I must get a hold of that Visual Novels. Especially the VN in the Anime Blu-ray Volume 6. I must get that Blu-ray.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@Yumpo
    Something like that is under the fair use policy, for educational purposes as far as I'm concerned haha. Especially when we're quoting tiny parts and dissecting them for a bit of literary autopsy, "no reproducing" doesn't apply here. So no worries

I've always wondered about how professional manga translators do their job. With series like SnK, wordings and tone of voice is especially important, and I'd think they want to get as close to what the author intends it to be originally. Truth is, being literal doesn't always hold the same effect as the original. Do they actually phone up Isayama and ask for clarification on certain parts or what? :S Simply buying the licence and translating it just like any other product is sort of a given, but there's no way things can be so easy and straightforward...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I brought up something to compare. I guess the more translated versions the better? XDDD.

Sure, I do trust the professional translators with the names in the case of SnK, but with wordings and tones, that's where I'm a little bit iffy. I'm not sure if they even maintain contact with the author concerning this stuff. However, since they managed to get four of the characters' names right, they must've gave their contact infos to each other, right? Now the question is whether they use this weapon that much at all, besides for name spellings, or not. XDD. Assuming that the pro translators does maintain contact, then don't they have the upper hand over fan scanlators? Nah, but I doubt that. Pro translators are still human after all. There will always be errors along the way. XDD
    Last edited by Yumpo; July 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

New Reply
Page 45 of 90 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast