Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 122 of 134 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2003

Thread: Kitty Kat's new basket

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caffe bene - gelato & waffle

Lolo sensei ......I'm fine thanks.. pretty busy, though...have a deadline on Monday...

so where you go skating/skying? this year imma go to Piatra nNeamt(most likely)

---------- Post added November 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was October 27, 2012 at 07:40 PM ----------

okay..so I've found a freaky video...and thought I should share it with you....considering the stereotypes and all

check this guy out.....

"Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just think I should mention, as I look at my clock and see how freakin' late it is, this is entirely your fault benelori.

You should never have recommended the Malazan books. I can tell already the Toc the Younger, Silverfox, and Paran storylines are right up my alley. There is next to no chance I'm getting to sleep before 3am any day this week.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

...I told it's awesome! Where are you in the story?

What I like most in these books is how elaborate the battles are...the attention to detail somewhat overwhelming, but it's fun to reread for me, just in order to understand what I'm reading, not mentioning fitting it into a greater battle picture

And some of the characters...Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake, Kruppe...Kruppe is za best!

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Lolo sensei ......I'm fine thanks.. pretty busy, though...have a deadline on Monday...

so where you go skating/skying? this year imma go to Piatra nNeamt(most likely)
    When will you come? We should go for some mulled wine and skating...
    Quote Quote:
    okay..so I've found a freaky video...and thought I should share it with you....considering the stereotypes and all

check this guy out.....

Oh wow......no comment...

PS: sorry for the late reply...I totally forgot about this thread...gomen m(_ _)m

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to my abode! \o/

Merry Christmas, bene!

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    Merry Christmas, bene!
    Thanks!!

Merry Christmas or holiday to you too! Enjoy whatever you are doing!

Spoiler show

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post

Spoiler show
    Why?

Merry Christmas, lolo!

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Why?

Merry Christmas, lolo!
    Thanks! \o/ To you too!

Well mainly because it's a family holiday...and there's nothing much happening at home...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

...I told it's awesome! Where are you in the story?

What I like most in these books is how elaborate the battles are...the attention to detail somewhat overwhelming, but it's fun to reread for me, just in order to understand what I'm reading, not mentioning fitting it into a greater battle picture

And some of the characters...Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake, Kruppe...Kruppe is za best!
    51% according to my kindle.

The one problem I still have with these books is the way the dialogue is done. The characters are so roundabout in everything they think and say. When it's a character you like talking it's a blessing but when it's somebody you don't it's curse.

I guess, I'm used to more "direct" writing styles.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    51% according to my kindle.

The one problem I still have with these books is the way the dialogue is done. The characters are so roundabout in everything they think and say. When it's a character you like talking it's a blessing but when it's somebody you don't it's curse.

I guess, I'm used to more "direct" writing styles.
    True...I do like it though, since I need to pay attention and be up to date with every lore element that was revealed...and this is what I appreciate most in these epics...the lore and the world...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

True...I do like it though, since I need to pay attention and be up to date with every lore element that was revealed...and this is what I appreciate most in these epics...the lore and the world...
    I always like that about long book series. New history, new rules, new world, and all of it is just a backdrop of the story.

It's just a hell of contrast to go from the writing styles of Jim Butcher and Lois McMaster Bujold's (who were the last authors I was reading) to the style used by Stevens Erikson. A character thinks about something, talks about it, then thinks about it again; and then have another character's perspective on the same thing. That will take some getting used to.

As long as those perspective is Param or Lady Envy(I love whimsical yet dangerous female characters, as a rule) related though, I'm happy.

I do feel like this series still needs a Mat (like from Wheel of Time). I was hoping Toc the Younger would get roped into that but recent chapters seem to have him going a more depressing direction.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 26, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know you read the WoT, Jammin. Mat is a pretty awesome character all right.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I always like that about long book series. New history, new rules, new world, and all of it is just a backdrop of the story.

It's just a hell of contrast to go from the writing styles of Jim Butcher and Lois McMaster Bujold's (who were the last authors I was reading) to the style used by Stevens Erikson. A character thinks about something, talks about it, then thinks about it again; and then have another character's perspective on the same thing. That will take some getting used to.
    What I noticed is that nobody has full knowledge about anything...so when you say that a character thinks about something, then there's that, but when another comes and talks about the same thing, then always adds a little more...
    Quote Quote:
    As long as those perspective is Param or Lady Envy(I love whimsical yet dangerous female characters, as a rule) related though, I'm happy.
    Oh Lady Envy...cutthroat bitch...I like her as well...all these ascendants or children of ascendants are interesting...they always have their own game, and they always manage to surprise me...
    So far my favourite ascendant is definitely Cotillion...Anomander Rake is up there in second place, though...though Anomander Rake is far different...both he and Caladan Brood seem the most straightforward ascendants in the series...
    Quote Quote:
    I do feel like this series still needs a Mat (like from Wheel of Time). I was hoping Toc the Younger would get roped into that but recent chapters seem to have him going a more depressing direction.
    Hmm...I guess Kruppe would fit the bill somewhat...meaning a more laid back attitude, that covers extreme generosity and skill too...although I guess Kruppe's attitude is more deliberate, while Mat just acts like he is...
    I think maybe Fiddler (Bridgeburner sapper) is similar to Mat...however the best fit is probably Pearl (a Claw), but he doesn't appear in the 1st and 3rd books...

The problem is that all these characters who have some importance in the series are scarred in some way, while the Emond's field guys start out as naive and innocent and they manage to retain some of that...well except Rand, but he is two people in 1 body so he doesn't count that much...personally I like Perrin the most from those 3...

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    I didn't know you read the WoT, Jammin. Mat is a pretty awesome character all right.
    And he is put in an interesting situation...he is the husband of the Daughter of 9 Moons...so he is supposed to be the connection between the Seanchan and Rand, and by extension the Aiel too...and thus peace should be achieved somehow, and not just after Rand kneeling before the Seanchan...but a more lasting peace...

And yet if you recall Aviendha's visions, then the peace won't last much...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Aviendha is trying to figure out how to avoid that scenario so that situation won't happen.

Isn't the Seanchan version corrupted though by Ishamael? IIRC, Tuon aka Fortuna is supposed to bow before Rand. Many believe the part of Rand bowing before her is because he was congratulating her on her marriage with Mat since that' s a Two Rivers custom.

BTW, have you read the snippets/clues from the last book?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Memories of Ice last night. I would say I liked it a little more than Garden of the Moon. Not a lot more, though.

What I noticed is that nobody has full knowledge about anything...so when you say that a character thinks about something, then there's that, but when another comes and talks about the same thing, then always adds a little more...
    Oh, I agree but it's takes some getting used to and slows the pacing down big time.

Oh Lady Envy...cutthroat bitch...I like her as well...all these ascendants or children of ascendants are interesting...they always have their own game, and they always manage to surprise me...
    So far my favourite ascendant is definitely Cotillion...Anomander Rake is up there in second place, though...though Anomander Rake is far different...both he and Caladan Brood seem the most straightforward ascendants in the series...
    To be honest they weren't favorites of mine. I can see why Rake would be one of yours though. He's very..epic.

Hmm...I guess Kruppe would fit the bill somewhat...meaning a more laid back attitude, that covers extreme generosity and skill too...although I guess Kruppe's attitude is more deliberate, while Mat just acts like he is...
    I think maybe Fiddler (Bridgeburner sapper) is similar to Mat...however the best fit is probably Pearl (a Claw), but he doesn't appear in the 1st and 3rd books...

The problem is that all these characters who have some importance in the series are scarred in some way, while the Emond's field guys start out as naive and innocent and they manage to retain some of that...well except Rand, but he is two people in 1 body so he doesn't count that much...personally I like Perrin the most from those 3...
    What I mean when I say I would have liked a character like Mat is for a true full blown reluctant hero with a reluctant love interest to match.(by that I mean a girl he really wishes he could not be in love with)

Spoiler show

I guess Param still has that potential in Malazan but it seems like he has a greater calling now. The Silverfox thing felt like it sorta fizzled to me. At the end of this book Param was the only character that really makes me tempted to read on.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Memories of Ice last night. I would say I liked it a little more than Garden of the Moon. Not a lot more, though.
    The reason why I liked it more than Garden's of the Moon, is because we got a deeper glimpse to some characters' personalities...we have a chance to see a more humane side of Whiskeyjack, Rake, even Caladan Brood...the romance between Whiskeyjack and that Tiste Andii chick is really cool, I liked that a lot...and right when we get a bit closer to these characters, they die in battle or by treachery...and thus the last battle had a great impact on me, far greater then the Darujhistan battle...
    Quote Quote:
    Oh, I agree but it's takes some getting used to and slows the pacing down big time.
    Yeah, that's one of the biggest flaws in the series the pace...which is even slower in the 2nd and 4th books...
    Quote Quote:
    To be honest they weren't favorites of mine. I can see why Rake would be one of yours though. He's very..epic.
    Not just the epicness...I feel like Whiskeyjack felt when he went to a drink with him...there's something deep and emotional to Rake's entire existence, he's not just a cold blooded warrior who dispenses justice as he sees fit...
    Quote Quote:
    What I mean when I say I would have liked a character like Mat is for a true full blown reluctant hero with a reluctant love interest to match.(by that I mean a girl he really wishes he could not be in love with)
    Ah...the reluctant hero would be Whiskeyjack...and Paran too...I think especially Paran...although he comes around and accepts his roles and acts accordingly...

And there's Toc the Younger who became Mortal Sword of the Wolf God, and then the other Mortal Sword...the Mortal Sword of Treach (Tiger of Summer)....both are pretty reluctant in their new roles

As for reluctant love interest...I guess we won't get that in the Malazan series...I've never really seen anyone who would fit the lady killer male stereotype, the way Mat fits into it...
    Quote Quote:
    Spoiler show
    The reason I like Perrin more, is because his affiliation with wolves and the whole new world that opens up before Perrin and the readers because of that...
    Quote Quote:
    I guess Param still has that potential in Malazan but it seems like he has a greater calling now. The Silverfox thing felt like it sorta fizzled to me. At the end of this book Param was the only character that really makes me tempted to read on.
    Yeah...I didn't like the Silverfox part either...it was a bit messy, although I think that was the purpose...

There are a few characters other than Paran who as pivotal and worth continuing the series...Coltaine, Karsa Orlong(both from the 2nd and 4th books), Kruppe and Quick Ben...and depending on whether you will continue the series or not, there's a pretty relevant spoiler, which could be a reason to read on(although I have mixed feelings about it, truth to be told)

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 122 of 134 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast