Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chaser and the Chased

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPho

Same here. The traditional and fusion ones are both delicious even though the latter is so fattening. I remember one of my college friends went to China to study aboard and he mentioned in his FB that he thought traditional Chinese food sucked. When a friend, who was born in China, read it, she got so mad and got into a fight with him about it.
    Last edited by riki; January 22, 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wow! I hope the fight didn't last very long...

So, out of all the Chinese cuisines, I like Shanghainese cuisine the most. And from their traditional dishes, I like Xiao Long Bao, San Jing Bao, Hong Xiu Rou and Xin... All those are romanized from their Chinese names, so I'm not sure if it'll turn out in Google searches. (Except Xiao Long Bao... they're famous~ )

Have you tried many different Chinese cuisines?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really. I ate pork buns and Chinese desserts but I haven't really tried other Chinese cuisines. Most Chinese restaurants usually made Americanized versions. I would love to try dim sums especially since I saw a TV special about Chinese foods. ^^

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I see. Yeah, we have the "authentic Chinese" and the "Westernized Chinese" restaurants here. We usually go to eat at the authentic Chinese ones, and we hardly go to eat at the Westernized Chinese ones.
    For food, Shanghai is the best!!! From the random street food stalls to the high-class restaurants, the food in Shanghai is just the best~!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all the same in Germany, in terms of restaurants it's close to tell where the real asian food begins (Chinese/Japanese/Thai and an indian one in my home town) and how long it's only the westernized versions.
    For the cheaper takeaways it's obvious like all around Europe/America probably.

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yo Ice how are you doing?

I always catch you off. Today I missed you by a few minutes XD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish there were different Chinese cuisines in the restaurants down here... They all make the same thing. There's a Chinese restaurant at every corner these days,hardly any Japanese restaurants and so far I've only been to one Korean. The Korean food was amazing though

I think I'll become a chef

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    It's all the same in Germany, in terms of restaurants it's close to tell where the real asian food begins (Chinese/Japanese/Thai and an indian one in my home town) and how long it's only the westernized versions.
    For the cheaper takeaways it's obvious like all around Europe/America probably.
    Ahahaa yeah. But it's not always authentic Asian food even if it's run by an Asian. >_> There's a lot of Chinese people who run restaurants specifically catering for Westerner's tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB Banana View Post
    Yo Ice how are you doing?

I always catch you off. Today I missed you by a few minutes XD
    Ack, yeah! I think it was a couple of nights ago, but just a second after I clicked Turn Off on my computer, I saw you log in on MSN.
    I'm doing pretty good, summer vacation is nearly over though. It's been pretty hot the past few days, so I'm expecting a storm or something soon... And you? How's school going for you?

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi919 View Post
    I wish there were different Chinese cuisines in the restaurants down here... They all make the same thing. There's a Chinese restaurant at every corner these days,hardly any Japanese restaurants and so far I've only been to one Korean. The Korean food was amazing though

I think I'll become a chef
    Ah, yeah. >_> Well, there's a lot of Chinese people. I love eating at Japanese restaurants! My friend's dad actually owns one, and I usually go with her to have dinner there... for free~~
    Ooooh~ What did you eat at the Korean restaurant? My favourite Korean dish would probably be Bibimbap. Or did you go have a Korean BBQ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

You're lucky. I would love to eat for free in a Japanese restaurant
    I didn't try the Bibimbap,I had the BBQ. I had no idea what was what, I just picked a number but it was a lot of food and it was amazing It's the best restaurant I've been too. There's even Karaoke if I wanted to annoy people with my voice

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed I am.
    Ah, yeah the BBQ is always awesome. I'm going to have it in a few days, I think... my friends and I are planning to go have lunch at a KBBQ.
    Oh wow, it was that good? Do you like eating really spicy stuff?
    Once, I had a KBBQ and there was a plate of baby octopi... we cooked them for a while, and it was still gooey in the middle. Since I was the only one there who liked octopus, I had to eat it all.
    Bahahahaa karaoke! I haven't been to one, and I don't think I ever will. Do you know if there were any KPop songs at that karaoke?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Iceiphoenix, nice to meet you You seem to have quite an interest in food, or is it just that the conversation in this thread is leaning in that direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceiphoenix View Post
    So, out of all the Chinese cuisines, I like Shanghainese cuisine the most. And from their traditional dishes, I like Xiao Long Bao, San Jing Bao, Hong Xiu Rou and Xin... All those are romanized from their Chinese names, so I'm not sure if it'll turn out in Google searches. (Except Xiao Long Bao... they're famous~ )
    Completely agree. I was in Shanghai just a week ago at the conclusion of my tour in Europe and I've tried most of the food you mentioned above. Did you mean "Sheng Jian Bao" instead of "San Jing Bao"?

For food, Shanghai is the best!!! From the random street food stalls to the high-class restaurants, the food in Shanghai is just the best~!
    I'm not exactly that big a fan of the random food stalls on the street (the hygiene is somewhat questionable) but I really like high-class restaurants and I was lucky enough to be able to dine in a few of them

Have you ever been to Shanghai?

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Moria View Post
    Hello Iceiphoenix, nice to meet you You seem to have quite an interest in food, or is it just that the conversation in this thread is leaning in that direction?
    Nice to meet you too!
    I think that's just because I started talking about making sorbet and ice cream.

Quote Quote:
    Completely agree. I was in Shanghai just a week ago at the conclusion of my tour in Europe and I've tried most of the food you mentioned above. Did you mean "Sheng Jian Bao" instead of "San Jing Bao"?
    Oohhhh wow! Wouldn't it have been very cold, then? My uncle lives there and he said that for a few days, his car wouldn't start because of the cold...
    And yes! Romanizing Shanghainese is quite hard.

Quote Quote:
    I'm not exactly that big a fan of the random food stalls on the street (the hygiene is somewhat questionable) but I really like high-class restaurants and I was lucky enough to be able to dine in a few of them
    Questionable, but worth a try. Do you remember the names of the restaurants you went to? There was one I went to, called Shanghai Dynasty, and the interior was realllly beautiful! And the lobby was furnished with (fake?) Versace couches.

Quote Quote:
    Have you ever been to Shanghai?
    How else would I know that the food in Shanghai is the best?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oohhhh wow! Wouldn't it have been very cold, then? My uncle lives there and he said that for a few days, his car wouldn't start because of the cold...
    Haha what's the coolest temperatures you're used to in Australia by the way? And Shanghai isn't really a place where it becomes very cold either, is it?
    You should visit Europe in winter and see some snow, best for skiing in Switzerland or Austria probably

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... the average temperature during winter is usually 10-20C I think... But at night, it goes down to 2-5C probably...

Erm, it snows in China as well, you know. Shanghai is kind of up north, so it's quite cold in winter... but Beijing would be even colder.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I thought Shanghai was further up to the south, gosh I can be so bad with topography :/
    I think even your 2-5° doesn't feel the same like here if I consider air humidity but that's pure speculation again

Thread Closed
Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast