Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Disney movie?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your favorite Disney movie?

Funny thing is, Pinocchio has a lot of adult stuff, like smoking and nose getting bigger. I remember eating mac 'n' cheese watcing it after my baby tooth fell off or was close to falling off, if either apply... I do remember being all wtfbbq at the smoke though, but probably cuz I wasn't paying attention.

T'was cool to see Cinderella's friend make her dress. Friendship is such a great thing!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

to add to this:

I had a really smart friend back in high school (actually most of my friends were extremely smart, forcing me to be ~smart too to "keep up with them", lol. He became a doctor), and he made roughly this comment about Disney one day as the coversation came up:

anonymous friend of mine:

~"What do you expect, Disney is made almost entirely by young adult males, there's lots of perviness in Disney movies and TV shows [and we're not talking about the blatant adult humor/jokes for the adults to enjoy as they have to watch it with their kids]. In almost every single disney movie and tv show, there's some suggestive hinting/symbology at adult content/sex. For example, in the Lion King, you got Simba jumping on the flower bed/patch and the "pollen exploding out" from under him when he was traveling with the lioness. [There's countless other examples too which I forgot about]"

he's right too, though my memory of Disney movies and tv shows has nearly vanished now, sighs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

it can be a fun game, interesting/enjoyable, to go back and watch Disney movies and tv shows to try to find all such adult content suggestions/symbolisms (not the jokes/humor as they're so obvious and easy to recognize. Trying to find the more sometimes "subtle" instances).
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; February 14, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Lilo and Stitch !

I thought the theme and the story behind it was very mature the 3rd time I rewatched it.
    the first time, I was just touched and really enjoyed it.
    Not to mention that stitch was so cute and sweet.

However, after I grew up and went back to watch it then I realized what it was really trying to tell me.

Since everyoneis posting songs here, I'll post from Lilo and Stitch too
    Lilo and Stitch-Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride(English)

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

ohhh hard to pick just one

top 5 il go with

1) Beauty and Beast- great song, beast was cool (looked sucky as human) great side characters

2. Black Cauldron - dark for Disney and interesting

3. Lion King- MUFASSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

4. Hercules- just great and fun and james woods as hades

5. Lilo & Stitch- i want a real Stitch nuff said

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Funny thing is, Pinocchio has a lot of adult stuff, like smoking and nose getting bigger.
    I’m a bit embarrassed to ask this but….how does Pinocchio’s nose getting bigger have to do with adult stuff?

Quote Quote:
    T'was cool to see Cinderella's friend make her dress. Friendship is such a great thing!
    QFT!

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    it can be a fun game, interesting/enjoyable, to go back and watch Disney movies and tv shows to try to find all such adult content suggestions/symbolisms (not the jokes/humor as they're so obvious and easy to recognize. Trying to find the more sometimes "subtle" instances).
    As for me, I wouldn’t want to play that game. I still want to enjoy Disney movies with the heart and especially the eyes of a child. I guess that is part of the magic of Disney movies in a way…

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Lilo and Stitch !

I thought the theme and the story behind it was very mature the 3rd time I rewatched it.
    the first time, I was just touched and really enjoyed it.
    Not to mention that stitch was so cute and sweet.

However, after I grew up and went back to watch it then I realized what it was really trying to tell me.
    Lilo and Stitch was a very nice movie. And that sounds like a fun thing to do; I’m referring to finding the deeper meanings/messages of Disney movies. Meanings/messages that we weren’t able to fully grasp because we were too young when we watched those movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hystzen View Post
    1) Beauty and Beast- great song, beast was cool (looked sucky as human) great side characters
    I’m so glad to find out that I’m not the only one who thought the Beast didn’t look that handsome as a human. It wasn’t that he was bad looking of anything like that, it was more the fact that I was expecting for him to be handsomer…

Quote Quote:
    4. Hercules- just great and fun and james woods as hades
    Hades is another one of my favorite Disney villains. And Panic and Pain were hilarious. Especially during the scene where they are wearing Hercules merchandise.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jungle Book, all the way! Although The Lion King is probably the one I've seen the most times (and know every line from) and is a masterpiece in its own right, The Jungle Book is just unbeatable in my eyes. Pretty sure it was also the first one I ever saw.

And it's from the days when Swedish dubs for animated movies were still on par and sometimes better than the original. Today, when I watch a lot of the movies from the late 90's that I watched when I was little, I realize that the dubs are actually pretty darn sucky (and don't get me started on today's movies). I guess The Lion King was pretty much the last really good one when it comes to Swedish versions. Classic Disney from the 70's is still the best, though.

Not to mention the damn soundtrack! The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You are two of the absolute best movie songs of all time, and they're in the same movie! No long, cheesy ballads which seem pretty much obligatory for Disney features from the past 20 years or so. Just that jazzy, rag-time feel which I so miss in today's movies (sorry, Randy Newman. I like your stuff, but you can't beat the real classics!).

But yeah, ever since I first saw it, it's been my favorite Disney movie. It's got a nice feel-good atmosphere and feel to it, but at times it's suspenseful as hell. It's got Baloo, one of the most groovy characters ever who just lightens up every scene he's in, but it's also got one of the best Disney villains, Shere Khan. I just love how every time his name is mentioned, everyone who hears it just freeze. He's terrifying from the very beginning, even though he doesn't appear until like halfway through. That's a good villain!

Yeah, the animation is a little outdated and all, but that's very much the charm of it and to me it's always gonna be a timeless classic.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    The Jungle Book, all the way!
    “The Jungle Book” is fantastic! It has a little bit of everything and one of my favorite things about it is the friendship theme within the movie. My favorite character from this movie is Baloo. What is your favorite character, Organizized?

Quote Quote:
    The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You are two of the absolute best movie songs of all time
    The Bare Necessities…I know the lyrics of that song by heart. ^_^ Great song!

Quote Quote:
    It's got a nice feel-good atmosphere and feel to it, but at times it's suspenseful as hell.
    I haven’t watched it in a while, but I do remember that during the scene when Mowgli confronts Shere Khan my eyes were glued to the TV screen because I was anxiously waiting to see what was going to happen next.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

as much as everyone likes the lion king, it just doesn't compare with Aladdin, in my view, because:

when Aladdin had came out in the theatre, and I was little then, it was EPIC for this (old) time period!!! No other Disney movie compared.. (except maybe Bambi*... as strange as that sounds, lol)

but, too new generations (seeing stuff with better graphics/CG/animations) who hadn't had this experience, can't really understand how it was so epic.

---------------------------------------

P.S.

*another childhood memory destiny, when I was little I couldn't watch the fire scene in Bambi, being the animal lover I was then and still am now (but I've gotten over not being able to watch the fire scene, lol. But, any mentioning of Micheal Vick... I need to change the channel fast or I'm going to have to buy another tv set/screen... V.V ... or those damned... abused dog charity/scam ads/commercials on tv at night... ARGH!!! "see no evil, feel no evil" I have to ignore and not think about it, or I'd just cry for the rest of my life!!! and I hate seeing a dead dog when driving... or worse a dog still alive/walking on the street... ach, sob sob, I better stop this line of typing quick! , making myself all despressed now!!!)
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 07, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing another childhood memory, Hege! As for me, the scene that really touched me and I think I even cried was the scene when
    Spoiler: Bambi show
    The fire scene was sad too. People can be so cruel towards animals; my heart aches every time I watch a scene/case of an animal that has been abused.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Land Before Time (the very first one), wasn't very "disney PC" either, it had death of little foot's parents, and so was very emotional/sad (and scary with T-Rex) too. It really churns your heart. I was watching it with my niece and I was choking up, lump in my throat, and eyes watery from it even at my old age now! And she pulled her hat down, lol. trying to hide that she was crying...hehe. it doesn't work well when you're leaning your body on me, lol, I can feel the sobs of her crying. but, I didn't say anything as she was trying to "act tuff" and not let me know she was crying/sad from it - she's quite a tomboy - (and I was too!, lol. so very emotionally touching movie!), of course . (it's sad how the later one's got so "toned-down", ughn!)

But, that what makes it so great, when your emotions are effected. If a show/movie/book/story/manga/anime can touch/change your emotions, it's high quality

----------------------------

Spoiler: mostly off-topic passionate views/perspectives of mine show

Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 18, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner alice&uncas's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bambi
    A Bug's Life
    Doug's 1st Movie
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    James and the Giant Peach
    Lady and the Tramp
    Peter Pan
    Mighty Joe Young
    The Princess and the Frog
    Tangled

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hanihime's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Beauty and the Beast.
    Best Disney movie IMO.

The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

When i was a kid there didn't exist a single film of Disney that i didn't see!!!

I loved them , and my favourites were:

The Lion King;
    Aladin;
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs;
    A Bug's Life ( even though it was not Disney );
    Peter Pan;
    The Jungle Book;

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it was a surprisingly easy choice. I treasure and cherish so many old Disney movies and can watch Aladin, AristoCats, 101 Dalmatians, Snowwhite, The Jungle Book again and again but my favourite is, hands down, Lion King.

It's such a majestic piece that, I can't even describe it. That movie can teach a person everything he needs to know about life. I have been to South-Africa myself and seen everything you could see. Animals, remnants of apartheid, unjustice, luxury, sun city, etc. and while there I visited some nature reserves and to be truthful, the feeling I had when sitting on an ATV, driving through a herd of gnus while looking out over the savannah was the same as when I saw the intro for the first time. It's simply astounding.
    And the graphics are splendid with one of the most powerful soundtracks throughout time!

That movie is just as good for adults as it is for children and one can learn more from that than school.
    Seriously, I can laugh and cry at the same time throughout the whole movie.

I get this feeling being home when I watch that movie... *sigh* I'm born in the wrong continent...
    Last edited by blai; April 06, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

guys cartoon or Disney movies always entertain every one thats why many people love to watch them and i also like some these movies like -
    Doug's 1st Movie
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    James and the Giant Peach
    and i also like some cartoon based movies like Rango movie which has released now these days i love to watch

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast