Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 111 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance & Society in Naruto <3

Now Sentient! 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MangaHelpers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Romance & Society in Naruto <3

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Fairy Vearth's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Romance (and society) in Naruto

A note before you read this. I really tried to make the content understandable but I’m not good at writing long texts in English. If someone has the time, please correct this and pm me^^ or post the correction here.

Kishimoto mentioned in his Interview from Databook 2, that the actual part of “Naruto” would contain romance.

What we have seen so far were the new feelings of Sakura for Naruto and Ino’s interest in Sai.
    Sakura’s feelings are not very clear, because she has pity with Naruto and probably some feelings of guilt as well. It is more like feelings of a sister than of a woman she has for Naruto, though Yamato’s unfinished sentence from Chapter 297 speaks for love.

What about Hinata? Kishimoto seems to have given her some very short minor roles. Her manner in love and feelings played a bigger role in the first part and now this all is in the background of this story. We got to see just a little part of this.

Before I begin with my speculations, I want to show you a drawing of Kishimoto, he made before the release of “Naruto”.

With a closer look at this, you will see a connection between Hinata and Naruto.

Hinata’s feelings for Naruto seem to have gotten bigger. She cannot even speak to him in the second part, which she could manage to do in the first. (Kishi thought of puberty^^)
    Before I continue, let us take a look at the society of „Naruto“.
    Kishimoto showed us at the beginning of this story a society, which strongly depends on money (Zabuza Arc). Discrimination is not something depending on the skin color or a language, it’s the skills someone has. Haku who was nearly killed by his father is a good example for this. Another examples are the jinjurikis.
    On the Chunin exams we get to know the history of the Hyuga. The maintenance of the clan needs offerings and estates of the realm, here we have the main and the branch family.
    There are more examples but this is enough to show that Kishimoto wants to present different sides of the society problems.

So if Kishimoto manages to add romance, then it will be a little complicated. (He said himself, that it would be a little difficult)

I think sooner or later Naruto will react to Hinata’s feelings but what will follow after this?
    He is a Jinjuriki, a lot of people hate him and in his society he is not even categorized as a human being. He is a monster who destroyed the village.
    She is a member of noble family, who will inherit the whole clan.

Now it looks like Kishimoto prepared all of this from the beginning.

The reason for putting Hinata in the background might be that Kishimoto has a bigger role for her. The relationship between the two would hit a lot of obstacles. A monster, the lowest class in the Naruto society and a Hyuga, at the current time the highest class could not possibly love each other.

This is one of the society problems we had in the past and we have at the current time.

The romance he prepared will probably be another climax of this story.

I hope this was understandable^^

so what do you think?

edit: I think this should be added here:
    Quote Quote:
    it isnt really supposed to be a naruhina or narusaku thread.

I was just wondering about Kishimotos statement to put more romance in the second part. And we havent seen anything serious until now. Then I thought about Hinata, she showed a lot of feelings in the first part and Naruto noticed a little part of this.(remember he said, that he likes her kind). There was a small developement but Naruto was just a kid, so Kishimoto might have prepared the rest of this developement for later, when Naruto understands the feelings. I mean puberty is something that really changes people and Naruto didnt even understand the sense of icha icha. Probably this was a sign that its too early for Naruto to love someone.

And please dont say things like "its a shonen" and dont compare this with other shonen like One Piece or DB. Puberty is something everyone has to experience and if Kishimoto puts in some romance than this would help to understand the guys(Naruto's age) and girls(Sakura's age), who have to experience this, the feelings they begin to develope.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance (and society) in Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    As far as we know, Kakashi only had one love interest, and that was Rin.
    And still as today he often thinks about her.

As he was dying he thought of Obito and her...

I'm thinking that this year (it's supposed to be Kakashi's year), we will finally learn what happened to her and if they were truly in love or not.
    I seem to recall rin's feelings towards kakashi were pretty much one sided... Do we have any reason at all to believe something actually happened between them? Wasn't last year supposed to be kakashi's though lol?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance (and society) in Naruto - Part 1

I thought Obito said that Rin liked Kakashi? It was probably a one-sided affair like Sakura & Sasuke. It's always possible that they might have gotten in a relationship after Obito got flattened though but there's virtually nothing that indicates this. It could be some good flashback material and we know Rin is dead anyway. Oh god poor Kakashi

by the way, every year is Kakashi's year. EVERY YEAR ALL YEAR

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It was one-sided at the time, but I don't know...
    I get the feeling that something did happen between the two.

Just the way that he remember her as he was dying, gave me that feeling.
    I could be wrong though...

I hope we get an answer about that this year...

PS: New thread, woohoo!!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gingitsune's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me catch up a bit from the old threard...

Quote Quote:
    I have no idea about the other issues you mentioned but the reason Tsunade is addressed as princess is because she's the granddaughter of the Shodai Hokage, the founder of Konoha; grandniece of the Nidaime Hokage, who helped found Konoha; and possibly, being the student of the Sandaime Hokage further added to this effect. Asuma, Naruto and even Konohamaru are not addressed as such because they were not close and direct descendants of the founders of Konohagakure. Hope it helped.
    That's what we would assume from reading the chapters so far, but we would assume Itachi was just a madman up to Madara's story. And we would have assume Naruto's father lastname was Uzumaki up to Jiraiya and Tsunade's talk. I meant the Tsunade-hime part leave some room for plot twist, if Kishi want to use it. Although I admit my wording didn't quite convey the "might happen" part, sorry for the confusion.

Quote Quote:
    I've been thinking.... since Kishimoto has been using filler material lately (the 4 Kekkei Genkai Shinobis, Raiga's sword) maybe this pairing just might become canon.
    I'd say it's more likely to be the other way around, Kishi gave the anime staff some future story elements to use for fillers. That being said, I doubt Hanare is one of them.

Quote Quote:
    Anyways, who's hoping Naruto ends up with Karin? I dunno why, but after seeing Karin's personality, she'd go well with Naruto. She's like Kushina, but apparently less rash. Sasuke and Karin can't happen since he just basically chidori'd her and tried to off her, and Karin left Sasuke.
    Karin's man will be Suigetsu, he'll go get her from prison and she'll fell for him, now that she lost interest for Sasuke.

Quote Quote:
    Chojuro is in Naruto's age group, So yeah, I do think he'll end up with one of the Konoha 11.
    I was under the impression he was something like 12 or 13 while Naruto and co and between 16 and 19 (Naruto = 16, Sai = 17, Kankurou = 18, Temari = 19). Maybe he's just little. Although we never know, if he's 12, he could end up with Moegi or Hanabi.

Quote Quote:
    Lee and Sakura will probably never be real. It's still the Part 1 version where Lee madly loves Sakura and wants to die to protect her. And Sakura likes Lee as a friend, but clearly is not attracted to him in the slightest. I think it will be shown during the war that she cares for him, but Lee will always be third in line. So I kind of hope he moves on.
    I was answering to someone else's post, Lee/Sakura was never a likely pairing to me, but sometimes other posters give compelling points about uncommun parings, if you egg them a bit.

Quote Quote:
    Ino with Sasuke was never as serious as the others. In fact, it was portrayed as a character flaw for Ino by Kishimoto. Her love for Sasuke was portrayed as shallow compared to Sakura's. And Sasuke doesn't even know her. He doesn't even regard her as a friend like Naruto and Sakura do with Hinata and Lee respectively. Even if Sasuke were reformed, there is still nothing there. There never was. It's a crack pairing at this point.
    Sasuke doesn't seem to be interested in Ino, but seeing she was the only one beside Sakura to cry over Sasuke's new nukenin status, I understand that she did love him and still love him as much as Sakura (or else the rivalry between them is meaningless). Also, in Shikamaru's revenge spiral, he put Sakura and Ino as likely candidates to kill some Kumonin to avenge Sasuke's theorical death (chapter 459), he should be one of the characters to know Ino best. I think Kishi is quite obvious Ino's feeling for Sasuke are as strong as Sakura's.

Quote Quote:
    An objective point of view would look a bit like this:
    Hinata is in love with Naruto, seen in how she confessed and was ready to sacrifice her life for him.
    Naruto is in love with Sakura according to Sai.
    Naruto cares for Sasuke like a brother.
    Naruto used to think Hinata was weird but now knows she is a likeable person.
    Sakura had a crush on Sasuke when they were kids but it is revealed that she still harbors feelings for him.
    Sakura confessed her feelings for Naruto but it was dismissed as a lie. They have a fairly good relationship and she is shown to care for him a lot. It is unclear whether this is romantic love or just love for a comrade.
    Karin had a crush on Sasuke but said it is gone now because of his attempt to kill her.
    Sasuke has never demonstrated romantic interest for any person.
    Sasuke considers/considered Naruto his closest friend.

This is the romantic world of Naruto as it really is. No assumptions, no opinions, no biases. Based on this, we cannot conclude which pairing will reign in the end because there is no pairing that exhibits mutual romantic love at all.
    Exactly, that's how things are right now:

Naruto >>< Sakura
    Hinata >>< Naruto
    Lee >>< Sakura
    Temari >< Shikamaru
    Chouji >< Ino

Sasuke is a bit hard to read, but at the point of Killer Bee's failed capture it seems it was:

Sakura >>< Sasuke
    Karin >>< Sasuke

There's no mutual romantic love yet, but as we saw with Tsunade and Jiraiya, in Kishi's world, a romance can move from >>< to >><<, but which one will it be?

As for KakaRin it seems it goes the same as all the other kids romance:
    Rin >>< Kakashi

Then it could have gone either way, maybe Kakashi fell for her before her death and maybe Rin lost interest in him because he admit he would have let her in the ennemies' hands.

Quote Quote:
    On the opposite, I think that war is the perfect time to get some romance going on.

It's the time for the boys to go all "I'll protect the girl I love", and the girl telling the boys they love them as they are almost dying!!
    Lee did it already, but didn't quite a lovely answer...
    I hope we'll get something more juicy.

Quote Quote:
    I think sooner or later Naruto will react to Hinata’s feelings but what will follow after this?
    He is a Jinjuriki, a lot of people hate him and in his society he is not even categorized as a human being. He is a monster who destroyed the village.
    She is a member of noble family, who will inherit the whole clan.
    But Naruto as "a monster who destroyed the village" is ancien story, now Naruto is "a pet monster who saved the village".
    I'm not sure if he'll ever achieve the status of human being...

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gingitsune View Post
    Sasuke doesn't seem to be interested in Ino, but seeing she was the only one beside Sakura to cry over Sasuke's new nukenin status, I understand that she did love him and still love him as much as Sakura (or else the rivalry between them is meaningless). Also, in Shikamaru's revenge spiral, he put Sakura and Ino as likely candidates to kill some Kumonin to avenge Sasuke's theorical death (chapter 459), he should be one of the characters to know Ino best. I think Kishi is quite obvious Ino's feeling for Sasuke are as strong as Sakura's.
    I know a lot of Ino fans hated Kishi for that scene. Most Ino fans hate "Ino the Sasuke fangirl" and are fans of "Ino of Ino-Shika-Cho". Likely because Ino gets bashed in fandom for two things. For being weak and a Sasuke fangirl. We thought she dropped the latter long ago. In the third databook she even lost her "suki" arrow to Sasuke.

So I admit that scene was confusing. I could pass it off as an emotional moment, but like you said, Shika said she would have avenged him. A guy who acted repulsed by her! Sakura had a relationship with Sasuke. Although not the one she wanted, it was still a relationship. A bond between comrades on Team 7. Sasuke acknowledged her. I can understand her conflicted feelings for him. But Ino didn't even know Sasuke on a personal level. Even KIshi wrote her love for him was shallow. But I guess I understand it for plot reasons. It would have looked bad if Team 7 was said to be the only ones who would avenge Sasuke. We needed something to drag the others in. I still hated it for Ino's sake. Hopefully Kishi makes it up to her and she gets a guy that will like her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingitsune View Post
    Exactly, that's how things are right now:

Naruto >>< Sakura
    Hinata >>< Naruto
    Lee >>< Sakura
    Temari >< Shikamaru
    Chouji >< Ino

Sasuke is a bit hard to read, but at the point of Killer Bee's failed capture it seems it was:

Sakura >>< Sasuke
    Karin >>< Sasuke

There's no mutual romantic love yet, but as we saw with Tsunade and Jiraiya, in Kishi's world, a romance can move from >>< to >><<, but which one will it be?
    I agree with these. It seems like romance in Naruto is either one sided or underdeveloped. Some couples only need just a little push.

This war could really cement some relationships if Kishi wants it.
    Last edited by Jessie; January 29, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Chouji could be the guy that likes her back, no? They've had some tender moments, and Ino has shown she cares about Chouji as well, even if she makes fun of him and looks like she's interested in Sai now.

I still want Naruto and Karin. <_<
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I know a lot of Ino fans hated Kishi for that scene. Most Ino fans hate "Ino the Sasuke fangirl" and are fans of "Ino of Ino-Shika-Cho". Likely because Ino gets bashed in fandom for two things. For being weak and a Sasuke fangirl. We thought she dropped the latter long ago. In the third databook she even lost her "suki" arrow to Sasuke.

So I admit that scene was confusing. I could pass it off as an emotional moment, but like you said, Shika said she would have avenged him. A guy who acted repulsed by her! Sakura had a relationship with Sasuke. Although not the one she wanted, it was still a relationship. A bond between comrades on Team 7. Sasuke acknowledged her. I can understand her conflicted feelings for him. But Ino didn't even know Sasuke on a personal level. Even KIshi wrote her love for him was shallow. But I guess I understand it for plot reasons. It would have looked bad if Team 7 was said to be the only ones who would avenge Sasuke. We needed something to drag the others in. I still hated it for Ino's sake. Hopefully Kishi makes it up to her and she gets a guy that will like her back.
    I think it's because Sasuke was her first love and it would be hard for anyone to realize that your first love was on death row. So, it makes a bit sense to me. And besides, Kishi's major theme is "Bonds" so I can completely understand that.

And yes, I agree. Hopefully, Kishi does cement some relationships that Kishi has been hinting in the manga in this War considering it seems to be the Final arc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nonlife's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't care...the manga's been all about Sasuke & Naruto's bond, with subtle hints of romance thrown in to lighten the mood of the manga. (Even Kishimoto's friends said he stinks at incorporating romance in his stories.)

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I seem to recall rin's feelings towards kakashi were pretty much one sided... Do we have any reason at all to believe something actually happened between them? Wasn't last year supposed to be kakashi's though lol?
    I'd like to think they grew as people after they had to watch their best friend be crushed to death by a massive bolder in enemy territory during a war and her having to remove said friend's eye while he was trapped underneath the bolder and put it into her love interests' (Kakashi) face.

If that doesn't mature you I don't know what will.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    And yes, I agree. Hopefully, Kishi does cement some relationships that Kishi has been hinting in the manga in this War considering it seems to be the Final arc.
    I don't think we will ever see anything overt in regards to romance. But I believe Kishi will do enough where we as fans can say, "Yeah I definitely now see those two(insert pairing) being a couple and marrying when they get older." I think he'll leave little doubt to who the couples will be in the future.

Unless there is an epilogue where he actually has to show us what will happen.
    Last edited by Jessie; February 03, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think we will see something. Probably at the conclusion of this war and definitely after the conclusion of Naruto vs Sasuke.

I don't think anything is likely to happen during the war itself. The mood is wrong(zombie loved ones and all that) and more importantly character development is completely frozen for now, i've no idea why but it is what it is.

At the end of the war, if ordinary character development resumes, then i could see some romance being thrown into the mix somewhat randomly to show how the war has brought the villages together.

-----------------

The Naruto, Sakura, Hinata stuff will i think be resolved but not until after Sasuke goes down. I don't think Naruto will be able to comprehend the concept of having a love life until that is taken care of.

The way i see it going down. Either Kabuto or Tobi will be taken out during the war. Next Naruto will deal with Sasuke and then have to deal with Kabuto or Tobi in a final battle. In between his battle with Sasuke and the final battle seems like the appropriate time for his love life to bloom.

Since up that point Sasuke had been his main motivation. He's going to have to find a new one. Love seems like a good choice to me.
    Last edited by Jammin; February 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Valentine's Day is making me think of the romance, or lack thereof, in Naruo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I don't think anything is likely to happen during the war itself. The mood is wrong(zombie loved ones and all that) and more importantly character development is completely frozen for now, i've no idea why but it is what it is.
    I would agree, but Hinata's confession occurred on the battlefield. So there is precedent for something like this happening. You never know with Kishi.

Showing relationships between different villages is something I can see. Even beyond the romantic aspect, it speaks to what Kishi has been doing. Uniting all the counties together. Outside of the obvious Shikamaru and Temari relationship, I wouldn't be shocked if Kishi had a small panel of Kiba asking Karui out for some dango after the war(just an example, insert your own characters). Just to show the growing connection between the villages.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I would agree, but Hinata's confession occurred on the battlefield. So there is precedent for something like this happening. You never know with Kishi.
    Yeah, but nothing came of it and i suspect we would just get more of the same.

With all of the former loved ones showing up trying to kill them and the general aura of death in the air, i just can't imagine any love affairs starting up at least until the dust settles.

After the dust settles then i think there will be some opportunity for some connections to form but not during battle. At least not during this battle.

-----------------------------------

I'd like to see Naruto actually pick a freaking girlfriend before Sasuke gets dealt with(a.k.a. dies semi-heroically)

To give that person a chance to actually register with him a bit emotionally before his inevitable to duel with Sasuke. I think that would add another dimension to Naruto that he sorely needs right now.

Sasuke has his power, pride, and hate as the result of what he's devoted his life to. It would be nice to see Naruto oppose him with strength, courage, and the support of his friends and loved ones; the results of what he's devoted his life to. I think a girl who loves him would could be a great part of that equation.

Unfortunately, i think Sasuke's evil a-hole nature has become like one big emotional dam for Naruto's character. No feelings can flow past that dam until he blows it up. Then there should be a flood(figuratively).
    Last edited by Jammin; February 14, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

New Reply
Page 1 of 111 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast