Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 49 of 105 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance & Society in Naruto <3

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brill's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance (and society) in Naruto

So you were expecting Hinata to say "Naruto-kun's hand is so big it gets my juices flowing?" C'mon this Hinata we're talking about, not Ino. Their situation is dictating their words and thoughts for each other. Hinata just saw her cousin killed right in front of her and she's at ground-zero with bodies all around her. Safety and security are in short supply and Naruto's presence makes her feel safe. This really isn't that bad. Sure, Kishi could have used adjectives like "warm, peaceful, or happy but that's not what Hinata needs right now. Their actions here are to support one another, not make passionate declarations of love for each other. It's not the time or place for that even if people have been waiting 10 years for something to develop. Even Kishi isn't that stupid.
    Last edited by Brill; January 02, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brill View Post
    So you were expecting Hinata to say "Naruto-kun's hand is so big it gets my juices flowing?" C'mon this Hinata we're talking about, not Ino. Their situation is dictating their words and thoughts for each other. Hinata just saw her cousin killed right in front of her and she's at ground-zero with bodies all around her. Safety and security are in short supply and Naruto's presence makes her feel safe. This really isn't that bad. Sure, Kishi could have used adjectives like "warm, peaceful, or happy but that's not what Hinata needs right now. Their actions here are to support one another, not make passionate declarations of love for each other. It's not the time or place for that even if people have been waiting 10 years for something to develop. Even Kishi isn't that stupid.
    What are you talking about? That's exactly what I expected her NOT to say. That quote of mine is what she actually said (or what her thought bubble said anyway), I know because I read it several times because I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't make that garbage up I took it verbatim from mangastream version of the chapter.

I'm sorry but that was absolutely awful. The last line I remember seeing dialogue that bad was in the Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing" the exchange of dialogue went....

Last Man StandingAs two men standoff..

Gunman: "Your just going to have to shoot me then." (In a bad Irish accent)
    Bruce Willis: "It'll hurt if I do." (In one of those gruff action movie voices)
    Last edited by Jammin; January 02, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    What are you talking about? That's exactly what I expected her NOT to say. That quote of mine is what she actually said (or what her thought bubble said anyway), I know because I read it several times because I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't make that garbage up I took it verbatim from mangastream version of the chapter.

I'm sorry but that was absolutely awful. The last line I remember seeing dialogue that bad was in the Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing" the exchange of dialogue went....

Last Man StandingAs two men standoff..

Gunman: "Your just going to have to shoot me then." (In a bad Irish accent)
    Bruce Willis: "It'll hurt if I do." (In one of those gruff action movie voices)
    Bruce Willis only has one good line. Yippie KaY Yay!

Who's to say the translators didn't botch it. Been known to happen, and even if they got it right, it's on par wtih what shounen manga provides. If you wanted something romantic, you should try shoujo.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce Willis only has one good line. Yippie KaY Yay!

Who's to say the translators didn't botch it. Been known to happen, and even if they got it right, it's on par wtih what shounen manga provides. If you wanted something romantic, you should try shoujo.
    I think you might be misunderstanding my position on this. It's not that I had an "expectation" that the scene would be a certain way. I'm just think the scene we did get is absolutely terrible. I don't think it is on par with what "Shounen manga provides". It was (maybe) on par for dialogue for a love scene from a Steven Segal movie.

I've read 2 versions of the translation and they both said that same thing, so I doubt it's a translator botch job. It could be that the true poetry of that line doesn't translate...but I highly doubt it. I've heard line about big hands might not translate fully. It might not have the pervy nuance outside in japanese.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 02, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think it was handled horribly. I'm not against any "shipping", I just think that Naruto and Sakura would've made more sense. I mean the love story here is that Naruto friendzoned Hinata for their entire lives, even AFTER she threw her life away for his sake. It took the death of an aquaintance (not even a friend) to make him hold her hand. People will say things like "less is more" and "a subtle touch is far more romantic". But the problem with subtlety is that when you're too subtle it's hard to draw in those that weren't interested in the first place.

Unless the act is particularly terrible.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Beelzeboss's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be that the true poetry of that line doesn't translate...but I highly doubt it. I've heard line about big hands might not translate fully. It might not have the pervy nuance outside in japanese.
    Wasn't something about how big hands / big back translate in a mature, grown up person?
    "Though our paths may differ... you must always live your lives with all your might!
    Never must you consider your own lives insignificant!
    Never in your lives must you forget the friends you held dear!"

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you might be misunderstanding my position on this. It's not that I had an "expectation" that the scene would be a certain way. I'm just think the scene we did get is absolutely terrible. I don't think it is on par with what "Shounen manga provides". It was (maybe) on par for dialogue for a love scene from a Steven Segal movie.

I've read 2 versions of the translation and they both said that same thing, so I doubt it's a translator botch job. It could be that the true poetry of that line doesn't translate...but I highly doubt it. I've heard line about big hands might not translate fully. It might not have the pervy nuance outside in japanese.
    I've read two versions as well. If Kishi used a Japanese euphenism then both translators could easily botch it. I'll wait for the anime version before I would warrant it as terrible. However, the whole chapter isn't terrible because of one word. The whole setup to that point was pretty good, so I fail to see how Hinata saying Naruto's hands are big, instead of warm or comforting or sweaty destroys it.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot
    I still think it was handled horribly. I'm not against any "shipping", I just think that Naruto and Sakura would've made more sense. I mean the love story here is that Naruto friendzoned Hinata for their entire lives, even AFTER she threw her life away for his sake. It took the death of an aquaintance (not even a friend) to make him hold her hand. People will say things like "less is more" and "a subtle touch is far more romantic". But the problem with subtlety is that when you're too subtle it's hard to draw in those that weren't interested in the first place.

And yet, that is exactly how 25% of all love songs and romantic movies proceed. People are friendzoned then someone finally realizes their "friend" means more to them than that. So if it's good enough for real life why can't it happen in manga? Naruto is no Casanova and he's just as clueless in romance as he is at everything else. He's not going to find the answer himself, he will need some assistance and Hinata gave it to him. He realized that Hinata was feeling depressed after he saved her from the zetsu so he consoled her. He realized that once again Hinata put her life and the line so he would be spared from harm, and he realized the support and encouragement she provides him when he has a crisis in faith, again. This isn't out of the blue, it's been steadily progressing ovet ther last 50 chapters.

You're absolutely right. Hinata and Naruto's relationship has always been subtle and nuanced. It's not explosive like Naruto and Sakura, but it is the one presently that is going someplace. Whether it leads to love, who knows.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Jammin:
    So bad even Juubi's sighing on that page
    No seriously, Hinata is predetermined to friendzone forever (Sasuke is Naruto's true love), so the scene isn't significant.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find funny about NaruHina is that its fans use to be happy if Hinata was in the same chapter as Naruto. Now after 615, they demand Naruto and Hinata to be married by the end of the manga.

While NaruSaku fans, who use to be so convinced of their pairing, are now just begging for Naruto to even talk to his teammate Sakura again.

615 changed everything. But we still have a way to go,.

Well they could get their wish. Either girl could die in the next chapter. I mean what is Sakura doing besides getting hit in the head with rocks or being wisked away from impending impalement. Hinata could get easily skewered in the next chapter as well. The only one who shouldn't die is Naruto, everyone else is fair game. Hinata does not have plot armor and Sakura can die just like anyone else.
    Hinata has plot armor. If she dies, than the Hyuuga clan is dead. Yes, there is Hanabi, but she appeared in one panel during the entire manga. And Kishi won't touch Hinata after Neji. Just like Shikaku and Inoichi's deaths gave plot armor to their kids.

And I have this weird feeling that death might by Kishi's way of actually bringing two people together. Neji's death brought Naruto and Hinata together. Ino and Shika might find love through their fathers' deaths. Not necessarily with each other. And maybe Lee(if Gai goes). Lee x TenTen is sort of the ship in the Rock Lee anime.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabot View Post

I agree,(truth be told I'm still NaruXSaku at heart) but honestly what's left there? Kishimoto has done a number on Sakura (which is the kind of an understatement). I know you and I differ on Naruto in the past tense, but I think we agree were his character is at now as a character is not good. If Sakura had actually turned into that character I hoped she maybe she could have fixed things; or at least made them a little better.

Spoiler: Sakura's future as I envisioned it. show

Hinata has shown that she can be cool at times and if she could actually be the person we saw during the Pain fight then it might be a little more easy for me and others to jump onboard. But 615's dialogue seemed designed to create the opposite effect while being as corney as possible.

She basically threw out the equivalent of "believe in yourself because me and lots of other people believe in you" and really failed to capture much emotion from her toward Neji; who got killed by wooden spears that would have hit her NOT Naruto. *gah* Just talking about how she was characterized in that chapter is mildly sickening to me. I've never been her biggest fan be....she deserved better than that, IMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzeboss View Post
    Wasn't something about how big hands / big back translate in a mature, grown up person?
    That's what I read but it was just in a post in the discussion section, I think, so who knows whether or not it's true. Considering how much anime/manga I've gone through I find it suspicious that I've never hit anything remotely like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Jammin:
    So bad even Juubi's sighing on that page
    No seriously, Hinata is predetermined to friendzone forever (Sasuke is Naruto's true love), so the scene isn't significant.
    The Juubi should vomiting on ever page after that. The first page of the next chapter should to Madara after that whole scene and have him be like..

Last edited by Jammin; January 06, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree,(truth be told I'm still NaruXSaku at heart) but honestly what's left there? Kishimoto has done a number on Sakura (which is the kind of understatements). I know you and I differ on Naruto in the past tense, but I think we agree were his character is at now as a character is not good. If Sakura had actually turned into that character I hoped she maybe she could have fixed things; or at least made them a little better.

Spoiler: Sakura's future as I envisioned it. show
    Unfortunately, we sort of know what Sakura's future is really going to be.

Spoiler: Sakura's actual future. show

Spoiler: Wow, you can cook! I am glad I didn't kill you honey bunch. show

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Unfortunately, we sort of know what Sakura's future is really going to be.

Spoiler: Sakura's actual future. show

Spoiler: Wow, you can cook! I am glad I didn't kill you honey bunch. show
    Even that might be kind of optimistic. I'm starting to think Rock LeeXSakura might be more likely. Though it will depend a lot on just how silly the plot goes from here, I guess.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    What I find funny about NaruHina is that its fans use to be happy if Hinata was in the same chapter as Naruto. Now after 615, they demand Naruto and Hinata to be married by the end of the manga.

While NaruSaku fans, who use to be so convinced of their pairing, are now just begging for Naruto to even talk to his teammate Sakura again.

615 changed everything. But we still have a way to go.
    Well, both sides have their extremes. I'm just glad he's doing something with it after throwing it at us for 600 chapters. The funny thing is that Naruto will still call Sakura, Sakura-chan, the next time they meet. That's just the way he is.

Quote Quote:
    Hinata has plot armor. If she dies, than the Hyuuga clan is dead. Yes, there is Hanabi, but she appeared in one panel during the entire manga. And Kishi won't touch Hinata after Neji. Just like Shikaku and Inoichi's deaths gave plot armor to their kids.

And I have this weird feeling that death might by Kishi's way of actually bringing two people together. Neji's death brought Naruto and Hinata together. Ino and Shika might find love through their fathers' deaths. Not necessarily with each other. And maybe Lee(if Gai goes). Lee x TenTen is sort of the ship in the Rock Lee anime.
    And if you believe that everyone will be RTed by Obito like some on these forums do then you can kill Hinata, Sakura, Temari, and TenTen. Then Shikamaru can hook up with Shiho and Karin can revive the Uzumaki clan. If Kishi decides to go that route then ther is no plot armor. Personally, I don't think he will, but that doesn't mean it's zero, highly unlikely, but not zero

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    Hinata has shown that she can be cool at times and if she could actually be the person we saw during the Pain fight then it might be a little more easy for me and others to jump onboard. But 615's dialogue seemed designed to create the opposite effect while being as corney as possible.

She basically threw out the equivalent of "believe in yourself because me and lots of other people believe in you" and really failed to capture much emotion from her toward Neji; who got killed by wooden spears that would have hit her NOT Naruto. *gah* Just talking about how she was characterized in that chapter is mildly sickening to me. I've never been her biggest fan be....she deserved better than that, IMAO.
    You seem to have this "ideal kunoichi" in mind that's meant for Naruto. You wanted Sakura to fit this role, but Kishi isn't going that way, so now you're trying to turn Hinata into this ideal girl. Quite simply, it doesn't work that way. Sakura is Sakura, and Hinata is Hinata. You got to deal with the cards your dealt, not trying to convert something into something they aren't. I have no problems with the dialgoue that Hinata said in 615. It's refelcts the core of her character. It was selfless, resolved, unwavering, and looknig forward. That's the person Hinata aspires to be and she demonstrated that during this chapter.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Sasuke reaction after reading chapter 615 :

Spoiler show
    خداحافظ

22. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shafagh View Post
    Sasuke reaction after reading chapter 615 :

Spoiler show
    This deserves that you post it also in this thread: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Epic-Edits%21
    so that it's not forgotten.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

New Reply
Page 49 of 105 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast